Cyfac XCR Custom

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tarz

by tarz

This frame started out as a want to find the best fitting bike for me.

After going to see Steve Hogg in Sydney and getting my ideal measurements (with room to move later on as flexibility and ability improves, as well as the perfect setup in regards to actual fit on the bike) I started discussions with Dan at Artisan Cycles in Melbourne for a new frame.

Originally I was considering an Aluminium frame, but with some persuasion and my personal need to have something completely different I settled on a frame with Columbus XCR oversized tubed, fillet brazed with ENVE 2.0 fork and custom paint scheme created by me (although quite basic).

Besides some slight delays between finalising the geometry and then the order process between Australia and France, then France and Italy to get the tubing (which was unfortunately ordered over Christmas), and a few minor paint changes, it has still been one of the best experiences in purchasing a new frame I've ever had. I can attest to Dan at Artisan and his commitment to make sure what the client orders is EXACTLY what the client orders and has kept me updated completely along the way.

I have been sent initial photos of the frame having just been fillet brazed just before paint...

As I mentioned, the frame has needed a few minor tweaks to the final paint but this may give some ideas of the final scheme....

Plus, a nice detail (unfortunately not the best photo quality).

Fait a la main a La Fuye - France ... Made by hand in La Fuye, France

I enjoy things that are made by hand, I also realise that unfortunately not everyone understands why.

The time it takes, the attention to detail, the personalisation, the level of quality, I appreciate all these elements, and is the reason that instead of getting another carbon frame for my do all race bike, I went for this.

It should have its paint job completed in the next few days where I will be sent the final pictures and then it will be sent over.

LouisN

by LouisN

This thread needs a better photographer...;) !!!

Can't wait to see this frame with paint !
And all build list too !! Make shure you weigh the bare frame and post weights..

:thumbup:

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarz

by tarz

LouisN wrote:This thread needs a better photographer...;) !!!

Can't wait to see this frame with paint !
And all build list too !! Make shure you weigh the bare frame and post weights..

Louis :)

:o :o
haha LouisN, I'll leave the french to concentrate on building and painting the frame so I can get it as soon as possible.
I don't have a bare frame weight unfortunately, but I will get the painted frame weight and the fork and the head set.

tarz

by tarz

Build List:
Shimano Dura Ace 7900 - have had Super Record, Sram Red and Record 10, so it seemed the logical choice, also after finalising the paint scheme, the Dura Ace components work perfectly.

3T 'Stealth' Edition
- Team Ergonova Bars (42cm o-o)
- Team Stem (110mm)
- Team Doric (zero setback) post

Specialized Romin Saddle
Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals
King Ti Cages
Chris King Headset

Wheels:
Training
Front: Mavic Open Pro/Record Hub 32/DT Swiss spokes
Rear: HED Belgium/SLC+ Powertap 32/DT Swiss Spokes

Race:
Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR

Tyres:
Vittoria Corsa SC both clincher and tubular

kgt

by kgt

Hmmm... the components mix does not sound that good. Shimano, 3T, Specialized, Chris King, Fulcrum. :noidea: You have a really nice frame, try to be be more eclectic.

tarz

by tarz

kgt wrote:Hmmm... the components mix does not sound that good. Shimano, 3T, Specialized, Chris King, Fulcrum. :noidea: You have a really nice frame, try to be be more eclectic.

It doesn't sound good when you say it like that :lol:

There are many reasons for everything:

As mentioned; I have yet to experience Dura Ace, so I decided to go for that on this build, and because it will match the look of the overall bike the best I feel.

I have not had 3T components, I have always had Deda, but with the release of the new black edition components I thought it could be something different.

Chris King headset is a no brainer, did look at the Tune headset but decided on Chris King.

The Specialized saddles just work well with me, I know its not ideal, but it took a year and over 10-15 saddle changes to find the right one.

The Fulcrums are de stickered, so are just black now, and have some of the best bearings in any wheels and a usable 50mm diameter. I feel a wheel that can't really go wrong.

I admit I did consider putting ENVE components to not only match the fork but for its aesthetic reason as well, but it was nearly double the cost of what I could get the 3T components for, although I haven't ruled this out as an upgrade down the line.

I know that it wont be super light or anything, ill be lucky if the frame alone is around the 1500g mark, but this is my race frame which I wanted tried and tested components on.

I have a vision in my head of how I want it to look, and the component choices is mainly because of the aesthetics of the bike and some practicality as well.

Hopefully should have it built with weights in the next few weeks!

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Cyfac... XCR... Custom...

/speechless
:beerchug:

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Can't wait to see this, I have also been considering a Cyfac XCR, will be interesting to see weights and the design you have chosen.
What options are available for the BB and head tube?
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

LionelB

by LionelB

Nice project !

tarz

by tarz

Ozrider wrote:Can't wait to see this, I have also been considering a Cyfac XCR, will be interesting to see weights and the design you have chosen.
What options are available for the BB and head tube?

I wanted the tried and tested English Bottom Bracket, was considering going BB30 and putting hollowgrams on it but I actaully really like the look of the DA crankset and they work flawlessly anyway.

The head tube normally has an integrated headset, however I wanted a non-integrate headtube so I could utilise a Chris King headset. And I prefer the look of it as well.

There were also a few options when it came to the fork rake, as after my fitting with Steve he suggested a fork rake that would work best for me and my purposes. I could have gone for Cyfac's own fork which is as stiff as the Enve and weighs the same, however it did not have my required fork rake, alternatively I could have gone with 3T's version however, hald of me wanted an ENVE because of all the positive things I had heard, it was something unique and had a more appropriate fork rake.

When you go for a Cyfac Custom, it is literally that, every component, every part of the frame is customisable. They are happy to work with geometries they are given, as in my case, or can fit you themselves with their system.

Being from Adelaide, going to see Steve for a day isn't the cheapest way to get a bike/frame fit, but I do not regret it for a second. I have used my new measurements of this frame and my fit and replicated it as best as I can on my current frame and have never felt so comfortable on the bike.

Hopefully the wait isn't too much longer but I do know they were busy with NAHBS.

Thanks for all the positive comments :D :D :D :thumbup: :beerchug:

jghall

by jghall

Agreed, looking forward to pics.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

There's a pic on Cyfacs Facebook page of a black XCR headed for Australia - it looks incredible
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

tarz

by tarz

Ozrider wrote:There's a pic on Cyfacs Facebook page of a black XCR headed for Australia - it looks incredible

8) :wink:

(as I mentioned, it's not quite completed yet)

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Loving the paint scheme

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarz

by tarz

a few pre paint shots...