short reach, deep drop bars.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

a.davis12

by a.davis12

i did a search and nothing really came up, so here goes. (if i missed it, someone just link it and lock the thread)

i have very little torso, but long legs so bike fitting is often an issue for me. (built like a girl, i know, ha, ha, ha.)
on both my current rides i am running 90mm stems, which annoys me as handling is not ideal (on the master it doesnt matter the bike is that good, but the litespeed is slightly compromised), and of some importance, it looks crap.

i am confident that with a lot of core work i will be able to extend to 100mm, but would like the option of shorter reach bars.
i currently run rotundos, which have a reach of 83, which i guess is sort of average? drop of 139 which is plenty though.
is there anything with similar drop, but less reach?

preferably not from FSA. i just don't like them.
cheers, a.davis12.

nigel379

by nigel379

I ride Bontrager race x-lites (been renamed race lite this year). In the anatomic shape they are 75mm reach with a 145mm drop. Best combo I have found for a shorter reach with a nice deep drop sprints.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

a.davis12 wrote: i am running 90mm stems, which annoys me as handling is not ideal

I'm having problems imagining how a different distribution or reach between stem and bar would change handling when the position of your hands relative to the steerer of the fork remains the same.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

KWalker

by KWalker

Too bad you don't want the FSAs, the Energy New Ergos are 79mm with a 150mm drop.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

a.davis12

by a.davis12

Ypsylon wrote:
a.davis12 wrote: i am running 90mm stems, which annoys me as handling is not ideal

I'm having problems imagining how a different distribution or reach between stem and bar would change handling when the position of your hands relative to the steerer of the fork remains the same.

oops, i left off a bit of info.
i will be increasing the length of stem and going to 7900 = longer reach. i want to counteract the long levers with shorter bars.
silly me. unless i am just dreaming and the levers arent any longer.

Ruds

by Ruds

7900 hoods are definitely longer than 7800, I've done the same as you. I started using Deda 100's which have a 75mm reach but I am waiting for some Easton SLX3's to arrive to start using those, they are 75mm as well. Neither are deep drop though.

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

Controltech Formidable has a 80mm reach and 150mm drop.

Cinelli RAM VRC2 is 76mm reach and 138mm drop.

aerogurl

by aerogurl

The PRO vibe 7s round have a fairly deep drop and shallow reach.

kwaz

by kwaz

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm in a similar position (ZING!) I'm on old FSA energy traditionals, which I love, but after moving to a longer frame I need to shorten the reach, and I'm already on a 100 stem. Besides the PRO vibe rounds, any other bars out there with a short reach but a straight (or straight-ish) horizontal section for sprinting in the drops? I think I would like the round vibes, i just don't want to overlook other options. Also, depth is not as critical for me. Thanks guys!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com