Rear flashing light - that can survive wet conditions

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

iscarrr

by iscarrr

Every single rear flashing light I've bought, has ultimately died after a 6 months or so of riding in wet conditions.

Eventually water gets inside, and the light either fails, or needs to be taken apart and batteries taken out for it to be turned off. I've lost track of how many different brands I've tried.

Does any one have some good recommendations? I'm purely looking for something that handles months and months of wet conditions.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Before we offer suggestions, which ones have you tried and have failed you?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

I've been using a Smart Lunar, Cateye TL-LD1100 and a Blackburn Mars 4 in all conditions for the last few years. All still going strong.

iscarrr

by iscarrr

I've gone through 2 Planet bike Superflashes, both ending up where i have to pull the batteries out to turn it off, then ultimately dieing:

Also various Knog lighs such as this one, Gecko I think (they all look cool, but are horrible in the wet):

Had a Cateye that looked like this fail too:

I've been tempted by a Smart Lunch rear light, but they look exactly the same as the superflashes, and I've read about a number of people having them fail in a lot of wet riding.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wow, you are hard on lights. I really like the Planet Bike lights, which seem to have failed you too. But I use it for the occasions when I might get caught in the dark versus day in day out riding in the cold and wet. I wonder, might it be from condensation which occurs if you come in from a cold wet ride then store your bike in a warm room? Just a thought. Don't know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

iscarrr

by iscarrr

I like the planet bike flashers too, and for the most part they have lasted for quite a few months. But when i do a few back to back rides in the wet, over a week or two they always seem to start failing.

I have read that opening them up, then putting a bit of vaseline on the seal can help. Haven't tried that as of yet.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Current favourite and ridden in much, much wet weather:
Knog Boomer USB

USB Chargeable, no batteries to deal with.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have had good luck with the planet bike lights. I take them apart and put some grease in between the two halves and that solves any water issue. Had the same light for 3 years and it has been through a good bit of water.

socratease

by socratease

Light and motion seems to make the most water resistant lights out there.

http://www.bikelights.com/vis180.html

I'd recommend going w/ a rechargeable light since one would have higher build quality.

Bikeav8or

by Bikeav8or

http://www.exposurelights.com/product/000059/flare/

Batteries best bought online as hard to source in shops.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I'm a fan of the princeton tec swerve. If I know I'm going to be out for hours in driving rain, I will put it on for added visibility, like a racecar rain light. Never had any problems and I have a few for my different bikes.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

mr_tim

by mr_tim

knog 3led - tip to improve longevity - if you've been out in the wet, open it up, remove batteries & let the electronic board dry out.

The panel is essentially open to water at the point where the led goes thru the outer casing, so once its gotten wet, the board & contacts will rust unless given a chance to try out.

OP - are you using lights with mud guards or without ? I tend to have more problems when the lights are in direct contact with water coming off the wheels. Add in a mud guard & there is less driving water hitting the light so longevity improves.

pino76

by pino76

why don't you use a rear fender :?: the light and your shorts stay dry.... :D

cbookman

by cbookman

iscarrr wrote:I like the planet bike flashers too, and for the most part they have lasted for quite a few months. But when i do a few back to back rides in the wet, over a week or two they always seem to start failing.

I have read that opening them up, then putting a bit of vaseline on the seal can help. Haven't tried that as of yet.

I would use standard silicon brake lube instead of vaseline. Vaseline will eventually deteriorate the rubber. Silicon lube is good for the battery cover too. You can pick it up at any auto parts store in small packets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vdzupdate

by Vdzupdate

I use this light off Knog: http://www.knog.com.au/gear-lights/boomer-rechargeable.phps with rain i use a sandwichbag where i put the lights in, perfect. Use it for a year in very wet conditions!!