New Kask K-10 arrived with a crack

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Richie

by Richie

Hi all,

New Kask k-10 arrived with a crack in the impact absorbing foam material, photo attached. Approx 4cm long and located just above the right ear when wearing. It appears deeper than a surface crack and opens slightly when finger pressure is applied to the area.

The seller assures me that all is fine, that it happens in manufacture and that all of the other helmets he has have the same crack. I'm concerned that it's had a whack in transport and that it will be a weak point in a crash.

Anybody heard of or experienced this before? Any advice or comment will be gratefully received.
Attachments
crack.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gt5504b

by gt5504b

not to fearmonger, but...
that's what my helmets have looked like after a crash.
If in doubt, you need to show it to a local distributor either of Kask, or at minimum someone from another reputable high-end helmet company.

Rick

by Rick

All may be fine, but even "cosmetic defects" are still DEFECTS and the seller should replace the helmet.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Get a refund. I might say get an exchange, but if the seller is dishonest, I wouldn't want to do business with them. If you can't get a refund, then just don't use it. Who is the seller (retailer/reputable online website, ebay, private individual)?

That is, unless Kask tells you this is normal.

artray

by artray

It sounds like he's trying to bullsh%t you, send it back get a refund, go somewhere else. Who makes products with cracks in them and then try to pass them off as ok.

Richie

by Richie

@HammerTime2 - It was bought through ebay, a +2000 score and 100% feedback seller. His communication has been good and has given detailed enough explanations. Item is otherwise perfect with all tags.

I've been sent some photos of the other helmets the dealer has in stock, in a variety of colours, all showing the same crack in exactly the same place. So it hasn't been damaged in transit and the dealer is being honest enough.

However, I have sent an enquiry directly to Kask to get their view on this and whether it will affect the helmet's performance in a crash.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is it possible that the ebay dealer bought a bad batch cheaply - perhaps factory rejects out the back door? Or maybe they are counterfeit and of defective manufacture?

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Helmets are the one thing I refuse to mess around with regarding anything that might feel or look "off". It's your head but if it were me that is the last place I would take even a .01% chance on something not being up to snuff.

Personally I would get a refund and buy another somewhere else.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I wouldn't risk it! :shock:

Roobay

by Roobay

FECKED HELMET!
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Richie wrote:@HammerTime2 - It was bought through ebay, a +2000 score and 100% feedback seller. His communication has been good and has given detailed enough explanations. Item is otherwise perfect with all tags.

I've been sent some photos of the other helmets the dealer has in stock, in a variety of colours, all showing the same crack in exactly the same place. So it hasn't been damaged in transit and the dealer is being honest enough.

However, I have sent an enquiry directly to Kask to get their view on this and whether it will affect the helmet's performance in a crash.

100% feedback may not be so meaningful in some cases.

I started a "fake Pinarello" thread over on RBR with exhibit 1 being sold on the 'bay by a seller with 100%. He made a slight alteration to the text, tho still misleading, after being called on it.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Rick

by Rick

So he has a batch of helmets that all have the same defect. Maybe that's why he is selling them on ebay.
I still see the known defective easton EC90 cranksets on sale at ebay.

Just get a return/refund. You don't need a good excuse, you just aren't happy.
If they balk, submit to ebay problem resolution immediately. There is no way it can be denied that it is a defect, and now you have evidence from the seller that it was defective when he sold it to you.

redoaker

by redoaker

HammerTime2 wrote:Is it possible that the ebay dealer bought a bad batch cheaply - perhaps factory rejects out the back door? Or maybe they are counterfeit and of defective manufacture?

Here's you answer. e-Bay is the dumping ground for companies(individuals) that are able to get factory seconds and then sell them off. Some sellers will tell you up-front they are seconds and some won't.

A cracked helmet...............there is no way in **LL I would strap that thing on.

CRC.com still has (3) models of the KASK all on sale for $142.80 U.S. dollars
And I'm thinkin they won't have cracks.

redoaker

by redoaker

This seller needs to be reported thru the e-Bay system. He sould NOT be selling damaged helmets.
e-Bay would not allow this if they knew.

MoPho

by MoPho

My Kask K10 which I bought from a reputable LBS has a similar crack. I never noticed it until reading this thread. It seems pretty minor, practically need to look at it under a microscope to see it though.

I've been riding with it for months and it seems to do an fine job of holding my brains in thus far :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com