BB30 and moisture?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Many of us use the freezer method on the crank spindle, wouldn't there be condensation as the crank come back to room temperature. trapped in the space between the 2 bearings?

I am referring to some of the BB30 shells are fully enclosed, although some have holes all over for Di2, those are not a concern.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

PoorCyclist wrote:Many of us use the freezer method on the crank spindle, wouldn't there be condensation as the crank come back to room temperature. trapped in the space between the 2 bearings?

I am referring to some of the BB30 shells are fully enclosed, although some have holes all over for Di2, those are not a concern.

Isn't there a hole in the bottom bracket shell to allow moisture out? Nothing is water proof, but the bearings are sealed and it shouldn't be a problem I would think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Zig is correct. Most if not all BB30 shells have a drainage hole that allows for excess moisture to drain.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Just looked at my BMC, 360 degrees not a hole to be found.. but the shell is machined nicely and coated with something though.

SL58

by SL58

If there is a shell between bearings as it should be the only moisture condensing would
be the moisture containing in the air trapped there and as soon as axle is worm it will go
back to the air, no worries.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

a nitrogen purge prior to installation would do it.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Previously with the freeze spray I can see frost on the spindle.
I have to use a temp gun to check how cold I am getting it.

I guess nothing is a true vacuum here and not really corrosive so probably doesn't matter.

I was curious about the orientation of the C-clip, would it be better to have the opening facing the bottom?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

irrelevant...

The amount of moisture / humidity in the enclosed space doesnt "grow" as the temp changes. It would have been in there in any case.

whipe it before you seal it up if you want and roll.