brakepads on carbon rims

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Hey,

My team mate will use my Bontrager carbon wheelset for at least two cyclocross races. Question: what brake pads do you cyclocross guys (would) use on carbon rims? Are special carbon brake pads existing in cyclocross world?
Can't these rims be damaged very much with slick, mud, sand and probably little stones between rim and brake pad. :?

I asked a local bike shop tonight and he didn't really has a quick answer... He said BBB is coming (within 3 weeks) with a special brake pad for cyclocross brakes where you can use normal (Shimano system) road brake pads: thus one could opt for the carbon rim road brake pads then.

Thx.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

many swiss riders have green swissstop pads.
there are several riders that have some kind of own construction brake pad holder out of a shimano road brake pad and a metal piece to fit cantilever brakes(the old style), that's also very nice for replacement and the fact that cyclocross/road rims have a smaller braking surface than mtb rims. if you e.g. run ksyrium rims with ritchey mtb pads, all the paint below the braking surface will be scratched away, that doesn't look very nice. i usually take kool stop pads and a cutter, then i cut a third of the prake pad away to make the same height as the braking surface.
i would prefer road brake pads, but don't know if the extra weight of a construction like groenendaal or van den bergh have would fit on my bike.
fyi i have kool stop orange/black front and grey rear, and saw a few other riders this weekend with the same combination.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Many thx simon!!! :thumbup:

Oswald

by Oswald

Ridley has some cx pads designed for carbon rims. The holders are compatible with other V-brake pads if you also have non-carbon wheelsets...

c-record

by c-record

I work at a shop and built up a Seven Tsunami with Reynolds Stratus cyclocross wheels fo a customer; when I spoke to the tech gur at Reynolds he recomended Kool Stop green, or black pads, saying that both had been tested and are okay for their wheels he also mentioned that they were testing Swiss Stop pads at the time, but couldn't recomend them YET

not to say all carbon rims are the same............BUT javascript:emoticon(':lol:')