Orange 5 Five new project - WW/ 1x9 2x9 1x10?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Hello all!

Another project.

this time an Orange 5 and a classic one at that, a 2005 140mm travel one, before they slackened the head angle right off, spoilt the look with the small down tube and massive seat tube and before they changed it from a great value, impossible to break XC rig for the 'blue collar guy' into something else...

anyhow.

i picked up this baby in 2011 unused! its the bottom deore model so will weigh a ton!

ive bought some toys for it already. but as usual its over to you to help me out with suggestions. this bike will mainly see Welsh trail centre s but also some 24hr events for fun.
Last edited by runningrunningjump on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Personally I'd go 2x9 for now, and focus on getting wheel and tyre weight competative, the Deores stuff will last a while and allow you to swap to lighter bits as they wear out, what budget right now for weight saving? Front mech weight looks not too bad compared to the rear!

What Manitou's, most of that era were pretty light, the lads 120mm Blacks are under 1.7Kg, while my Skareb Elites are under 1.4Kg.

Simon
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

hoping to remove the front shifter and cable and run the deore mech with the single ring but i am having trouble with set up! the screw for the front mech seems to be at the end of the travel and adjustment is really hard! any one have any experience please?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Chor im getting answers right away!

thanks the rookie!

to clarify ive hit this bike hard over the past year and everything is warn out!

ive already got and fitted: weights to come:

Fox F120 forks
Hope SP3 hubs on DT swiss tubless rims with stans
Hope QR
FSA headset
FSA stem carbon face plate
FSA bars
Thomson 27.2 330 elite post on order
KCNC seat clamp on order
Avid Elixr CR 185 front brake