Pop went the crankset!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

il professore

by il professore

you finished the ride though right? Still had one good side to pedal on...

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Saw this happen with Dura Ace 2010 and the guy had speedplay pedals. Momentum spun the crank back onto the chain stay and snapped it in two as the pedal made impact with the chain stays. S-Works Sl3 as well, 3 week old frame !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Actually i did finish the ride - Happened just pulling into a hilltop village called Orient so I had a 25kms downhill all the way back home.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

btompkins0112 wrote:Over-torque the pedal?

Quite hard to do just using an Allen key.

KH

by KH

To the person who posted that they would stick to DA cranks...

...I have snapped two DA 7800 cranks! One, like the thread starter at the pedal entry point on the drive side and one half way down crank on non drive side. I have also snapped a Truavativ cheapo crank at pedal entry on drive side. That was the only occasion on which I hit the deck as a result. All those in the past 3 years and it does play on my mind as the consequence of this kind of failure could fairly easily be fatal.

NB: I weight 65kg and use a torque wrench!

dolophonic

by dolophonic

orient.. nice pace. Enjoy

il professore

by il professore

awesome that you finished.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Just hard to believe people are breaking Dura Ace cranks. If those go, any cranks can break

KH

by KH

I think I have the photos somewhere if there i interest!

The DA crank that snapped at the pedal was clearly corroded (no one could shed any light as to why), the other one...who knows.

89daytona

by 89daytona

Email kcnc they will warranty it, and you will notice the new ones you will get will have more meat on tbem :)
@racecarbrian

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

justkeepedaling wrote:Just hard to believe people are breaking Dura Ace cranks. If those go, any cranks can break

My friend, any component can break. I would venture to say most higher end (not necessarily weenie) components do, however, break rarely.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I never liked the Orient ride much anyway. I know everyone raves about it, but I'll take the Soller, Puig Mayor, Sa Calobra route any day. Maybe your crank has similar feelings.
Which direction were you headed? Toward Bunyola?
Regardless, it seems like a crazy malfunction. I'm sure KCNC will take care of you.

Enjoy spring in Mallorca!
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Actually I agree, Im not a fan of the Orient loop, especially as the road quality coming down into Orient from Col D´Honor is terrible. I tend to go out Home (Caimari) to Sta Maria/Bunyola/Orient/Alaro/lloseta as I like the more techincal climb from that side, short as it it, but the descent into Alaro is getting way too busy.
Supposed to be taking a client up to Puig Major today but its raining so Im staying put!

Frankly I could chase KCNC but having just sold my Kuota I dont have a spare bike so Ive just given it to Gomilla to fix a SRAM crankset on it ASAP (and I get a free hirebike in the meantime!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Glad you didn't get hurt. I broke a 90's Super Record Crank at the same place during sprint intervals. Unfortunately, I ended up with a broken collar bone.

It would be a good idea to inspect the area around the pedal/crank interface periodically under magnification.