Look Keo Blades: Adjustable tension impossible ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm curious, actually more anxious that is.

I bought the 16Nm Keo blades. Never tried on the road yet.

Even on the trainer, they don't feel like they hold the shoe very tight.

Anyone experienced un-clipping while sprinting, or for intense out-of-the-saddle efforts ?

I was thinking if it was possible to have a higher tension than the 16Nm blade, or I'll have to settle with it...?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

I've my Keo carbons on minimum tension. Never unclipped, and I tried!
Sure enough, I'm not as strong as McEwen. (not Blades) http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/ra ... sprint.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd think LOOK have tested the Blade quite extensively before they brought them onto the market, no?

Robroyski

by Robroyski

I have been using 16Nm blades for almost a year and never had any issues with unclipping, but I had few instances in the past where my Looks (pre Keo) unclipped during sprinting.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Are you sure you're not just feeling the float ? New cleats and new pedals can feel pretty smooth and there may just be little friction between the pedal body and the cleat causing you to perceive the float more. Just a hypothesis, but given that the spontanoeus unclipping under power not a problem with these in ProTour racing, I suspect that you'll be fine.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Not a problem here... they work.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

4 sets, no unclips. Couple of national ranked sprinters also run em without problem.

your results may vary, but I'm not sure what "feeling" youre getting. maybe the float is just too free for you ?

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

Mine work great no issue with the 16nm

redoaker

by redoaker

LouisN wrote:I was thinking if it was possible to have a higher tension than the 16Nm blade, or I'll have to settle with it...?

French Co. XX Cycles lists (2) versions for the carbon blade. But it looks like your 16nm is the strongest of the (2). Since the 12nm exists maybe an (18)nm exists.

http://www.xxcycle.com/lame-carbone-pou ... de,,en.php

LouisN

by LouisN

CharlesM wrote:4 sets, no unclips. Couple of national ranked sprinters also run em without problem.

your results may vary, but I'm not sure what "feeling" youre getting. maybe the float is just too free for you ?

I decided to change the old cleats I had on my shoes (thay have about one and a half seasons). I noticed one was cracked at the back almost half an inch. Probably the reason the shoe un-clipped a few times.

The new cleats shure feel more "solid" now. I had the grey cleats on my old Keo carbon, and decide to keep the grey ones on the Blades. The (7 degrees ?) float is fine for me. I don't think my pedal stroke, or my knees would like less float.

redoaker

by redoaker

I once installed the BLACK zero float cleats. All was good for about a month and then it all caught up with me. From the knees down I began to get extreme muscle / ligament strain.

nathanb74

by nathanb74

LouisN wrote:The new cleats shure feel more "solid" now. I had the grey cleats on my old Keo carbon, and decide to keep the grey ones on the Blades. The (7 degrees ?) float is fine for me. I don't think my pedal stroke, or my knees would like less float. Louis :)

Pretty sure the grey cleats have 4.5 degrees of float

madmole

by madmole

I have the yellow (12kN) blades and have had ZERO unintentional releases. I'm an MTB rider at heart and bunny hop the Cervelo and jump the odd kerb/roundabout etc. I'd go so far to say that the Blades are better than the shimano SPD's I use on the MTB. The Blades are easy to release from when intended or in a panic and very positive when attaching. A lot easier and faster than Shimano SPD SL road peddles thats for sure. Dont worry about accidental releases, especially with the red 16kn version. It just wont happen

Contact is very good, although you will need to find the older teflon cleats or put some lube on the newer cleats or you will get a ton of noise while cycling (Sound like the bearings are on their last legs)

Also found the secret to a very quick clip in is NOT to look at the peddle, but just do it, the peddles hang in the same position each time.

Oh yes the grey cleats are 4.5 deg float, but thats either side of Zero so total float is 9 degrees, thats why you often see two numbers reported
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

madmole wrote:Oh yes the grey cleats are 4.5 deg float, but thats either side of Zero so total float is 9 degrees, thats why you often see two numbers reported

My understanding is that it's 4.5 deg inclusive. Best pic I can find.........
Attachments
look_keo_cleats.jpg