Sub 7.3 kg/6.4 kg 29'er project buildthread finished pic p 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

you know what? When I saw your thread was updated, I didnt read it just yet, I went back upstairs, pulled myself a double shot and came back to the computer to read that awesome thread with an awesome coffee.

Amazing work.

The seatpost walls are thin :shock:

So I was mistaken on the XX cassette... now lets see the cassette you'll be using.

bmxed

by bmxed

KCNC also make their yokes with an M6 thread if you don't fancy retapping them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.F

by Martin.F

@bmxed, I bought the m6 yokes. But the distance between the "highs and lows" of the thread are different from the KCNC yoke and the Schmolke bolts :noidea:

@ devinci: Haha, that's so cool to hear! :thanx: And yes, the seatpostwalls are soooo thin. I've seen a lot of pictures of the Schmolke posts, but never one from this angle that shows just have thin it really is. Amazing to say the least.

And I've been trolling you a bit. I'm planning to use 2 cassettes. 1 to actually ride on (XX 11-32), and 1 to test durability and shifting quality (Recon alu 11-32). My bet is that the Recon will be used for weighing and testing a couple of rides, and if it performs well, I will try it on a race or two. I don't expect more of it than that. If it exceeds my expectations then I'll might get a second Recon alu, but it's mostly for testing purposes. The XX will only add 53 grams or so, and the bike will still be sub 7.3 kg (according to my Exceldocument that is).

There is one problem though. I have the wrong BB type for my lightning cranks :evil: I have PF30, but my frame is BB30, but the lightnings need outboard cups. I guess I need these?

Also, my Extralite Garas probably won't fit as they'll scratch the chainstays. I need the THM bb30 BB + some nice chainrings. I have the 104/64 BCD 4-bolt spider, and I plan to go 36T - 28T/27T.

I'm currentyl trying to decide to go for one of these:

EP 36T@28g + the EP 27T@16g
or maybe
TA specialites chinook 36T@43g and the 28T@34g
Or a combination of the two. Or maybe some else. Does anybody have any tips and reccomendations?

Now that the cat is out of the bag, here it goes:

Crankarms

The lightning SL. I can't afford the THM claviculas, so these will have to do just fine. I'm certain they will. They have a 100kg weight limit, so I can outgrow a couple of pants before that becomes a problem. Weight of crankarms with heelrubprotection and rubber end-caps: 379g

Lightning MTB 104/64mm 4-bolt 175mm by Martin.F., on Flickr

Lightning MTB 104/64mm 4-bolt 175mm by Martin.F., on Flickr

Chainrings

These are the ones I originally planned to use. But I guess they'll be to large for the frame. I'm going to buy new rings and BB, and if they fit, then great, if not, then I'll just sell them or something. Extralite gara 42-28: 77g

Untitled by Martin.F., on Flickr

devinci

by devinci

Another guess: i have the feeling the frame is specialized

Martin.F

by Martin.F

This time it's not trolling :lol: , it's not a Specialized. You will see it :soon:

Regarding chainrings: How about the Carbon-ti integral spider/ring combo? The 36t weigh 77g, and I can mount a 26t @ 17g on it + 4g of bolts. That would bring complete crankset to 379-37 + 77 + 17 + 4 + 99 = 539g. That's really light :twisted:

Note to self: Lightning spider MTB 104/64 double/triple : 37g

Martin.F

by Martin.F

More parts. I have ordered Stans tape, valves, new bottom bracket and quick releases. Hopefully they will arrive soon. Only missing chainrings (probably) now!

Pedals

These probably don't come as a surprise. I have a pair of XTR 980, but I prefer my good old eggbeater 4ti. I have rebuild them a couple of times and done some maintenance, and they hold up really well! Weight: 168 grams

Tires
Call it non-mtbtires if you want. These are bought for 2 reasons. 1: weighing, and 2: a specific a/b-priority race of the season thats 95% hardpack and fireroads. For more demanding trails I have a set of Rocket Rons and a set of Racing Ralphs. Maxxis flyweight 345: 2x347g

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Small update: Looks like I have to adjust my goal. Target weight with the eggbeaters are now sub 7.2kg with sid fork (mayyyybe sub 7kg without pedals) , and sub 6.3 with a rigid fork and pedals.

I've been in contact with Berk, and he is making me a post/saddle combo! :mrgreen:

devinci

by devinci

Great on the saddle post combo!

Can you elaborate on your grip shifter for a 2x10 setup.

I've read some comments but people seems to say they are not so good and they say they look cheap

thanks

Martin.F

by Martin.F

They do look cheap, and they are cheap :lol: If you have tried the Sachs quartz before, it's pretty much the same. The front shifter has several clicks for microadjustments, which I like better than the x.0 I have tried where you have to turn the shifter quite a bit before it makes the click.

I have also read the reviews about them and that some think they are OK, while some say they are shit. But for the price I thought I'd give it a try.

Berk has finished laminating the saddle. I'm extremely excited, and feel like a kid before christmas eve!

BTW: Frameweight: 1181 grams.

zmiko

by zmiko

Scott Scale frame?

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Nowadays we have a lot of frames,that weight 1000-1200grams,so its very difficult to answer which frame you have......but i think it's a s..:)

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Sounds like a Merida 29er frame :-)

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Look! I got a sneakpeak from Berk. Gorgeous, eh? I'm so exited I don't know what to do :mrgreen:

BmanX

by BmanX

The more I see his work the more I want to have my SLC with a custom post/saddle which would be amazing.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

This bike is going to be badass when it's done.