Slammed stems...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IcedHalo

by IcedHalo

mattcooke wrote:Hi guys, I am trying to lower this stem that you see below. Last year I was on a Thomson which is -10 degrees, this year I am on a FSA which is -6 degrees. I have been to several good shops and they have no ideas. I saw this online but I don't know if it would be what I am looking for. http://www.veloflyte.com/carbon_fiber_i ... ust_shield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that what I need or do you have any other ideas?
Thanks guys.

I've got a similar FSA headset dustcap to you and its only 6-7mm in height. At most, with a shorter dustcap, you'll only lower it by a maximum of 2-3mm which is barely noticeable. The dustcap with the lowest stack height I know of would be the Campagnolo CF one (which is 5mm tall). Best bet would be to get a new stem with a steeper angle if you want to get lower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Thanks. Thing is I am required to ride this stem. I'll look in the dust cap but if anyone else has other ideas I would love to hear them.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

ive made a cover that's less than 1mm tall. ive had someone make a <1mm tall nice carbon top cover. if this is the Matt Cooke that i think it is, hit me up and ill get you one.

Greg

edit: the use of the cover is beneficial in bad weather, but you dont technically even need the thing. it's a spacer like any other headset spacer, except that it happens to cover the bearing.
IMG_20120205_180519 resize.jpg

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:

And it's pros riding like this as well. I've got a photo at home of some big pro race on the continent and they're all on the drops with elbows practically locked, and they're not looking too aero either. One of the best low positions I've ever seen has been of Roger de Vlaeminck, was his stem slammed? No. Was his position aero? Yes. Did he win lots of races? Yes.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Ive ridden a couple of bikes without any top cap at all. Just put a silver flat washer (comes with most headsets) and a BB30 bearing shield upside down and youre done. Headset bearings are sealed so worst case is a new bearing before selling the frame. Ive even spent some time on a bike without any bearing shield. Stem was on top of the bearing. Worked fine.
Do whatever it takes to make a bike fit.
Ive always felt better with long and low position. I like the hoods to be low and the drops slightly lower (shallow drop). Seems to be the best overall set-up for me. I dont rock the drops too much but I certainly can.
Also, doesnt FSA make a -17 stem?
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Hawkwood wrote:
ChamoisTime wrote:Gotta love seeing people with slammed stems riding with their hands on the tops while rolling along in a paceline on the flats. "I'm just relaxing right now". Right, and your arms are almost locked out even when you're giving it your all.... :roll:

And it's pros riding like this as well. I've got a photo at home of some big pro race on the continent and they're all on the drops with elbows practically locked, and they're not looking too aero either. One of the best low positions I've ever seen has been of Roger de Vlaeminck, was his stem slammed? No. Was his position aero? Yes. Did he win lots of races? Yes.

Word. :)

thisisatest wrote:ive made a cover that's less than 1mm tall. ive had someone make a <1mm tall nice carbon top cover. if this is the Matt Cooke that i think it is, hit me up and ill get you one.

Greg

edit: the use of the cover is beneficial in bad weather, but you dont technically even need the thing. it's a spacer like any other headset spacer, except that it happens to cover the bearing.
IMG_20120205_180519 resize.jpg

Greg, you are the man. :thumbup:

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Is this the slammed stem/aero position others are concerned about, with regards to power output?

adriano

by adriano

huge pic.

http://i.minus.com/i0NF23fnLCQ28.jpg

since that picture, i radically moved forward and up, and im still comfortable in the drops for an hour plus. too high?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

For the guy with the FSA stem:

Just get a -17 deg FSA stem and run 5mm of spacers. That will put you back to where you were with the Thomson -10 deg.... or very close to it.

slyboots

by slyboots

adriano, that's a nice bike. Why did you put front disk on the right?

slyboots

by slyboots

Ok, it sounds quite reasonable. :thumbup:

headwind816

by headwind816

btompkins0112 wrote:Slammed.......

Where did you get the dust cap????? Please PM me your source :thumbup:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

STM dustcap and topcap on stem. commitment to slammage. good job

headwind816 wrote: