Aluminium tubular road rim

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kavitator

by kavitator

maby there was a debate.

Only few offer ligtweight aluminium rims for tubular

MAvic reflex - is it for strong 75kg rider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Easton EA70 comes in a tubular variety.....also, you can get some older Ksyriums in tubular. Kinlin comes in tubular also....

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Interesting question.

I got myself a set of Mavic Reflex with DT Aerolites (32) on DT 240 hubs a few years ago. The initial idea was to get them as racing wheels as they are supposedly quite rigid, fairly light, not too expensive to replace in case of a crash and the tubs should give some extra safety in case of a puncture.

While I like the ride quality, the wheel is not really stiff and descending in a race situation north of 75km/h does feel quite sketchy. In fact I gave up using them and continued using my training wheels (Fulcrum 3) instead. For my weight ( 77 - 80kg) they feel much better particularly when descending.

So I still like the idea of an aluminum tubular rim but I would not get the above combination again.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

J.v.S. wrote:descending in a race situation north of 75km/h does feel quite sketchy
How much of that might be attributable to the DT Aerolites? Do you notice a difference in high speed sketchiness depending on the wind conditions (e.g., gusty cross-winds)?

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

@ Hammer

Good question. It's difficult to say as I have no real comparison with similar setups but different spokes. I just find the steering quite a bit wobbly although cross winds seem to have little effect. In general I think the set-up is just a bit too light and flexy for my weight and height (1,88m). However what I really like is the perceived (major discussions on that have been led elsewhere) smoothness of the tubulars.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

J.v.S. wrote:Interesting question.

I got myself a set of Mavic Reflex with DT Aerolites (32) on DT 240 hubs a few years ago. The initial idea was to get them as racing wheels as they are supposedly quite rigid, fairly light, not too expensive to replace in case of a crash and the tubs should give some extra safety in case of a puncture.

While I like the ride quality, the wheel is not really stiff and descending in a race situation north of 75km/h does feel quite sketchy. In fact I gave up using them and continued using my training wheels (Fulcrum 3) instead. For my weight ( 77 - 80kg) they feel much better particularly when descending.

So I still like the idea of an aluminum tubular rim but I would not get the above combination again.

Hmmm... can't say for sure, but I think it's the Aerolite spokes. They are very thin in the middle, but if the wheels are sketchy with 32 spokes, you have to wonder. I don't think it's the rim choice, Reflex's are a good tubular rim. I have several wheels built up with Aerolites and am not sure I'd use them again. I'm pushing 90kg. I have some Ambrosio Nemesis 32 hole rims I'm about to build up onto Campagnolo Record hubs. I'll be using good old DT Swiss Comps. Not the ligthest of wheels by any means, but classic and hopefully, bombproof.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kavitator

by kavitator

Thanks for info. I am intrested for mavic reflex becouse they are very light and looks cool. For up/down intense race low cost wheelset.
Spokes are very long becouse rim is low profile. Are dt competition more "stable" than aerolite?

jdp211

by jdp211

I just picked up a pair of kinlin tb25 rims as another lightweight alternative. They're definitely a little heavier, but seem like they'll build into a stiff and relatively light wheel set.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

kavitator wrote:Thanks for info. I am intrested for mavic reflex becouse they are very light and looks cool. For up/down intense race low cost wheelset.
Spokes are very long becouse rim is low profile. Are dt competition more "stable" than aerolite?

I'm not sure if they're more "stable" but my intuition would say yes simply because there is more material. Aerolites are essentially flattened DT Revolutions, which are a lighter version of the DT comps. The thinner spokes tension up higher but not sure that translates into much. Maybe @Ergott can help more. He seems to be one of the more experienced wheelbuilders on this site.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dalai

by Dalai

What about Ambrosio Crono F20's? They have gotten heavier over time, but are still one of the lighter aluminium tubular rims...

ras11

by ras11

HED makes a wide/light aluminum tubular rim. It's welded and has a good reputation for durability. They are more $$$, but liekly worth it over the kinlins. Likely the same price as the F20s.

Velocity also make a few light tubular rims.

I would get the HEDs.

Too bad American Classic didn't continue their magnesium tubular rim. That would have been a sweet rim if they ever sold it aftermarket.
:-) Toys-R-Us

kgt

by kgt

Dalai wrote:What about Ambrosio Crono F20's? They have gotten heavier over time, but are still one of the lighter aluminium tubular rims...

+1

kavitator

by kavitator

that will be perfect ( if i get them from Italy)

woz9683

by woz9683

+2 on the ambrosio chrono F20, I just built up a set in 28/32 and they're awesome. CX-Rays, bikehubstore hubs, and brass nipples. Just hit 1,400g.

kavitator

by kavitator

so

duraace 7900 or Novatec X Light hubs
cx ray or aerolite spokes
28/32 (front radial, DS 3 cross, NDS 2 cross)

thanks

will be notices stiffnes if i use for DS non aero just duble butted?
nipples for DS brass, for NDS aluminium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com