B-Bikes, who-what-when-where-why

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bhowe

by Bhowe

Ok, so this will be my first full season racing. I have a nice primary bike that I'm really going to feel terrible about if I wad it up while in a Cat5 crit. Don't really want to race it in the rain either.

I also plan to race cyclo-x this fall. Trying to justify building up a second road bike to have as my "B" bike this race season and then pull the groupo off of it and swap it to my cross bike this fall.

Those of you that have a B bike or cheaper race bike. What is it? When do you use it? Use a lessor group? Does it compliment your A bike?

What frame should I be looking for? CADD? BMC? Anyone have a cheap 52 frame laying around?

Share some of your thoughts and opinions with me.

I'm currently on a SL4 with Di2..... Considering a venge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

I'd go for an allez to keep the geometry/ride characteristics the same

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Bhowe wrote:Ok, so this will be my first full season racing. I have a nice primary bike that I'm really going to feel terrible about if I wad it up while in a Cat5 crit. Don't really want to race it in the rain either.

I also plan to race cyclo-x this fall. Trying to justify building up a second road bike to have as my "B" bike this race season and then pull the groupo off of it and swap it to my cross bike this fall.

Those of you that have a B bike or cheaper race bike. What is it? When do you use it? Use a lessor group? Does it compliment your A bike?

What frame should I be looking for? CADD? BMC? Anyone have a cheap 52 frame laying around?

Share some of your thoughts and opinions with me.

I'm currently on a SL4 with Di2..... Considering a venge.

I have an SL3 and a Venge and feel compelled to advise that the bikes are chalk and cheese. The Tarmac is lively, spritely and great on the climbs and rolling roads. The Venge less so, but on flat tt roads or crits/peloton situations I can imagine the Venge coming to life. It needs speed and once holding 18 mph or faster it gets faster and faster this holding top end speed that a Tarmac cannot. Rolling roads not so but decent enough on the steep stuff tapping it out. But hand on heart much as I love both bikes, I think I would take an SL4 over both at the moment but that cant happen as skint ! I do enjoy the Venge, but it is the first bike that has actually made me stop and think 'this really is a sledge hammer that needs Boonen style power'.....

Hope that helps.

Bhowe

by Bhowe

An allez is certainly on the radar.

Diego, you bring an interesting point. Say I do end up with a Venge or I keep the SL4, maybe the second bike is geared toward doing what my A bike isn't as keen at?

The idea is for the B bike to still be light and race worthy, but far less expensive.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

the Allez Tarmac combo seems most ideal to me. Save the Venge money and spend it on wheels. :thumbup:
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

crohnsy

by crohnsy

I have an SL3 and I just ordered a Caad10 for my "B" bike.

Really considered the Allez to compliment the tarmac but for the money its real hard to beat the Caad10.

A Venge would have been nice but I didn't have that kind of budget to work with.. If you do go for it!

Bhowe

by Bhowe

To clarify, if I got to a venge my sl4 will have to go.

KWalker

by KWalker

I have an SL4 with 7900 and an Allez with 7800.

The Allez has a taller HT and ST, but otherwise rides fairly similar. Its definitely not the same level as a CAAD10, but will work fine for a lot of races.

I've ridden a Venge and found it to be too harsh to give a shit about what were imperceptible aero benefits (in my mind). Its too expensive for a B bike unless you're filthy rich since the frameset costs more than the SL4 that's your primary bike.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

race the sl4 di2, whatever. u gotta pay to play.

Bhowe

by Bhowe

My Sworks Di2 bike will be and has been raced.

Thinking a B bike would t be a bad idea though.

And again, the only way I can make room for a venge would be if I sold my current sworks sl4 frame.

The B bike would be something totally different.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

check your pm's re: Allez Evo 52
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

hasbeen

by hasbeen

new pm sent.