MTB Brake recommendation

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jcosh

by Jcosh

Hi, new to this forum so please give me some slack if I'm asking the wrong type of question or it has been covered previously.

Anyway. I currently have a 2011 Sworks Stumpjumper with Sram XX group set and brakes. The bike is less than six months old and I've had brake trouble since new. After a drawn out process of trying to rectify them (new lever assemblies etc) my LBS has had authorisation to change them to something else FOC under warranty.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions on what to go for as I want to be sure I get the best for my needs. I ride mainly on the North Downs in the UK and occasionally North Wales and trail centres. I'm not heavy and I'm very light on my equipment. The LBS seems to be suggesting that XTR would be a good choice, but will supply what ever I want. The downside is that I won't be able to run the matchmaker clamps and will now have to have two clamps on each side of the bar. I'd like them to be as light as possible but also reliable.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Jcosh on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

I would get XTR. Formula will be the other suggestion you'll get.

Jcosh

by Jcosh

I see there is similar thread already running, I'll get my coat...... :sorry:

FLLMTR

by FLLMTR

I currently run on the XTR M988 Trail brakeset. It is a dual piston set-up in a one piece aluminum block. It is light and very strong. Highly recommend it.

Dirk

by Dirk

Hope Race X2, less brakepower compared to XTR (have Trailversion myself), but because you're light and in combination with 180mm discs you'd still have plenty brakepower and most important: modulation.
I weigh 80kg and the XTR is awesome in terms of power and modulation, made me even more confident on gnarly descents.
However, I had 2 muddy rides and pistons got stuck, or didn't move enough.
Taking out the pads, cleaning the pistons edges solved the probs, but never heard similar reviews about the Hopes from buddies around, those are seemingly more install and forget (not the buddies, the brakes :lol:).
They only claim to want more braking power, but again, since you're a light rider...
I would have chosen them too, but because of my weight and above comments went for the XTR.
Formula is also super, but I hear lots of comments about pad rubbing on the discs in whet conditions.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Either Shimano or the Magura MTs....Avid's are having so many problems that some manufacturers are switching to other brands as OEM suppliers. Very soon you will also see Maguras as OEM on some 2013 bikes.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I'm a big fan of Hope brakes.

I have used their Hope Mono Mini. Then on another bike I got their Mono Mini Pros. Then when the X2 race came out I built another bike with X2 race.

All are superb. Easy to maintain. Excellent modulation. Their customer service is amazing. The bleed process is easy (no syringes or stupid fancy bottles). They are install and forget (but check your pad thickness every year).

I have also test ridden the X2 Race EVO, they are even better with a nicer brake lever that makes the brakes seem more powerful as the lever is less effort to activate.

I have also test ridden the new M985 race XTR brakes. They too are great. I don't own them, so I can't speak to their easy of maintenance or durability. They have decent feel with lots of power. The plus side with XTR is that they are popular and any bike shop should be able to service or find you parts immediately. Also Shimano sponsors many of the local mountain bike races, so that if you have a problem, there is a neutral support shimano tent.

For me, I like Hope. If you don't go with hope, you should go with the XTR.

Hubert

by Hubert

XTR Trail.
Turn down the suck knob.

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

I have just asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. The advice I got in this thread- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102673 - was great and really helpful.

In the end I went for XTR and I couldn't be happier. No rub, no complicated adjustment, great braking. Coming from V-brakes and having been utterly skeptical concerning disc brakes I have to admit I would never go back. XTRs work absolutely superb for me.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Don't go XTR. They are very finicky and need to be bled quite a bit. I have found that the XTs are choice though. They are much more consistent from the factory and they are easy to forget that you even have. Low maintenance is king.

Colin

by Colin

I've had the opposite experience with XTR brakes. They have been great! I've bled them once when I first got them, but haven't touched them since!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think that is the exact problem Colin. You shouldn't have to bleed brakes first time out of the box. They should just be working when they arrive from the factory. I have seen XTR sets brand new out of the box that had an entire lever reservoir full of air.

Colin

by Colin

I guess I should have explained myself. I bought an almost new bike from a local guy last year, and when I got the bike from him the rear brake had a little air in it.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

XT or XTR, that or Formula, but personally XT would be my choice, weight difference (yes I know this is WW) is minimal to XTR but the XT's have a great rep for robustness.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I have been running Hope M4s on my Tallboy for the past few seasons and have yet to bleed them. Those might be a bit overkill for this situation though.