Bike fit at High Gear Cyclery NJ

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

did anyone get fitted there in the past, how was your experience/level of satisfaction with the fit.
might be going in this friday
thanks

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Hey just curious but where do you ride out of? There's a new shop opening in Summit New Jersey I will be riding with if your in the area. Also about High Gear, I don't know if you have been in there before, the manager seems to know his stuff but the whole staff comes off as arrogant. I don't use them for fits but a couple of the guys I ride with have complained about how they where set up there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

I've heard positive things about high gear, but then again, they were my n00b friends buying their shiny cannondales. :lol:

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

I got fit there years ago when I was just starting out by Eric. Decent fitting, not quite the level of a Retul or Dartfish.

It's a good shop with good customer service.

veloduffer

by veloduffer

If you want a pro fit, go to Cyclesport in Park Ridge NJ. The fitting will take a couple of hours. Mind you, all fittings are not the end all and there are minor tweaks that you might make as your fitness and flexibility changes.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Thanks everyone for adding your opinions. Cyclesport in Park Ridge would be a great option, but thats over 60 miles from me, I have two small kids and this would almost required that I take a day off, which is possible if you guys think that they are that good. What worries me is that going back for any touch ups will be a pain.
Here are my options from few local shops near by:

Martys in Morristown, BG Fit system, by Jesse, $ no sure
Cycle Craft in Morristown, by Mike, $300.00
High Gear, by Eric $150.0 and up
KNAPPS CYCLERY, Retul, $250.00

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

I just want to add that my fit is not to race, my 2005 scott cr1 team issus i just causing me to much pain, and I dont feel like Im comfortable on it any more, not to mention that I dont feel like my pedal stroke is where it use to be. cant ever get comfortable on my seat (that could be different issue) I do ride with the High Gear guys once in a while on their A ride on tuesdays, so I guess the fit is semi race, but ball park would be good, if I can get the balance of speed/efficiency/comfort I would be in heaven=)

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Knapps is a solid shop (I'm typing this from my work desk a mile away from them). Been in High Gear only once, know many of their racers, seems like a great shop but no informed opinion, only general good impression. Also consider Pure Energy in Lambertville - sells almost exclusively high end stuff (Parlee/Lynskey/etc. and Arounkone , the owner/manager, does a great fit. Had him build two Lynskeys for me (R430 and ProCross) and fit perfect on both.

critracer26

by critracer26

I would drive the extra to go to mike sherry at strictly bikes in fort lee. I cheaped out the first time and still have issues 2 years later. Do it once and do it right the first time even if it's a long drive.

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

digitalnorbs wrote:I just want to add that my fit is not to race, my 2005 scott cr1 team issus i just causing me to much pain, and I dont feel like Im comfortable on it any more, not to mention that I dont feel like my pedal stroke is where it use to be. cant ever get comfortable on my seat (that could be different issue) I do ride with the High Gear guys once in a while on their A ride on tuesdays, so I guess the fit is semi race, but ball park would be good, if I can get the balance of speed/efficiency/comfort I would be in heaven=)

I'm on the same boat, so please post back as soon as you decide! I have a lot riding pain in my lower back and have been researching fitters as well to cure this problem.

lowrights

by lowrights

I had a bike fit with Eric at High Gear Stirling about 2 months ago (Cannondale Synapse HiMod) and was very pleased with the experience. He did a very thorough job fitting me and he worked with me to come up with several options to improve the fit of the bike. We ended up raising the saddle about 1/2" and moving it forward slightly to compensate for the rearward movement as the saddle was raised. In the next month I will bring another bike there to have the fit matched to the Synapse as the adjustment resolved some knee pain issues.

I have bought several bikes from High Gear and have gotten excellent after-the-sale service with several warranty issues.

Joe Donahue
Gillette, NJ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com