Which BB30 adapter for DA ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Evigan

by Evigan

Hi guys,
I'm getting a Specialized Tarmac SL4, and I plan to put a DA 7900 crank on it. The frameset ships with a Wheels Mfg adapter like this one:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-Wheels-Mfg-BB30-Adapter-for-Shimano-7624.19.1.html

However, there is annother BB30 adapter available, which allows for standard BSA 68mm bottom bracket to bu used; it's from FSA:
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/449/BB30-Threaded-Adapter-68mm

My question is, which adapter offers a more durable and less creeks-prone sollution? Accorning to a Shimano Youtube video, the BB30 standards is bad, since the bearings are positioned closer appart and thus offer less support to the crankset. From this point of view, the FSA adapter, together with standard DA BSA 68mm bottom bracket, is a supperior sollution. Plus I've also heard reports, that many BB30 users experience creaks in the BB area. What do you guys think?

Best regards,
George

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

May I ask why you chose a BB30 frame for your next build if you don't stand fully behind the BB30 design? Plenty of other options out there.

Best BB30 explanation I've ever read:
elviento wrote:If you look at history, when it was clear BSA needed improvement from an engineering perspective, people came up with outboard BB cups -- a half asset approach, which pushed cranks further out. Cranks became thinner laterally coz bearing cups do not leave much space for crank arms.

For example, current campy crank arms are much flatter than the square tapered version, and you have to over build the cranks to achieve the desired stiffness. That's why a whole frame is 700-1100g, and a friggin crankset has to be 600-800g.

Too much emphasis is placed on the frame, hence it gets lighter and lighter with wall thickness of around 1.5mm. But carbon cranks have much thicker walls. BBright and BB386 widens the BB shell to the max, while it's the poor old crank arms that take the most load much more directly coming from the pedals. In other words, the frame "cheated" for more (and unnecessary) width, as a result of the outboard bearing movement. Poor cranks are stuck with no room to be optimized. This is true for BB386, BB86, and BBright.

Not to mention ankle clearance and Q factor. This is unfortunate, because the industry is less integrated, and Cervelo/BH/Wilier don't know how to make a super lightweight stiff crank with thin walls. Exactly why Cannondale is so superior in this area.

On the adapters I would definitely vote for the Wheels MFG one. Used by many pro teams. Durable, creak-free and easily reversible. I believe the FSA one is not meant to be reversible and has to be loctited in the BB.

Plus BB30 bearings + WMFG adapters + crank weighs less than FSA adapter + Shimano bearings + crank

roselend,

vladoo

by vladoo

I do not know, what is the best solution, but I can give you some info :
I used FSA adapter with FSA K-Force Light MegaExo cranks on my Focus Izalco BB30 frame, without any problem. Adapter is 52 g, it is in the frame, but could be removed with special tool (I did it personally and I have that tool).
Now I am using BB30 cranks from Sram.
Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred. (V. Havel, november 1989)

rainbowstripes

by rainbowstripes

I installed the adapter that comes with the Allez with DA cranks on my sons bike. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen when he's pushing it.
I don't see any realistic solution other than to go with a BB30 crankset.

JRixon

by JRixon

The FSA adaptor sleeve is a great solution if you plan to run threaded BBs (such as the standard Dura-Ace item) in the future. Use plenty of Loctite 609 during installation and it should be trouble free. The adaptor is removable using the EE039 tool from FSA.

If you plan to use a BB30 crankset in the immediate future, the Wheels Mfg item would be the way to go. As it makes use of a standard BB30 bearing assembly, removal of the delrin cups would be the only change needed to run a BB30 crank, as apposed to pressing out the FSA adaptor sleeve.

J

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

here's the easy answer.
the fsa bb30-to-english adapter doesnt fit the SL4. SL4 is 46mm ID, like PF30 (but not). the fsa adapter only works on 42mm bb30 frames.
the adapters that come with specialized frames (that are NOT wheelsmfg adapters) are slightly loose fitting, and have been known to creak. i used a super-heavy, super-tacky grease on the latest one, we'll see how that goes.
the best option is actually wheelsmfg adapters, they are delrin, a slightly more snug fit, and wont creak.

Rick

by Rick

I really like the looks and idea of this one, but I have no experience with it. I was planning to try it at one time, but just went with BB30 cranks.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-bb30-roa ... -2926.html

Evigan

by Evigan

Thanks guys,
I really like the KCNC version, though It doesn't say anywhere that it's made for the 46mm version. Does anyone have any info on that?

Also, I've found that FSA also has a neat sollution:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2011-FSA-Mega-Exo-BB30-Adapter-8158.19.1.html

Does anyone know, it fits the Specialized's OSBB (apparently 46mm diameter) ?

Regards

Rick

by Rick

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "the 46mm version". I think it will adapt all standard BB30 bottom brackets to fit hollowtech spindles such as Dura ace.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean. But the 46mm is NOT "BB30" bottom bracket.

JAGGY

by JAGGY

Hi all

I'm using a Dura ace 24mm chainset with BB30 and i have had a troubled time finding the best one.

I've tried 3 different adaptors which are the KCNC, Wheels manufacturing and the press in FSA BB30 one.

The FSA one was noisy, creaks like mad and kept popping out of my frame under load. Binned it in pure anger as it was spoiling my new superbike experience.

KCNC one is very good and i am using that one in my Cipollini RB1000. This was recommended by the UK importer and is quiet and robust with good quality bearings. The red caps tho are very fragile and snap easy on installation. They do provide two spares tho. just be careful.

Wheels manufacturing one. Installed in my Cannondale CAAD10 with BB30 bearings that came with it. I was begining to think this was the best but. Its seem to have worn and i think its just spinning not the bearing now. Further investigation needed. This one to begin with is very quiet and presses in easy.

I'd go for the KCNC in my experience at the minute. Will report back on the wheels one.

Cheers.

89daytona

by 89daytona

thisisatest wrote:here's the easy answer.
the fsa bb30-to-english adapter doesnt fit the SL4. SL4 is 46mm ID, like PF30 (but not). the fsa adapter only works on 42mm bb30 frames.
the adapters that come with specialized frames (that are NOT wheelsmfg adapters) are slightly loose fitting, and have been known to creak. i used a super-heavy, super-tacky grease on the latest one, we'll see how that goes.
the best option is actually wheelsmfg adapters, they are delrin, a slightly more snug fit, and wont creak.

The FSA Adapter will work when installed in the plastic cupsof a Specialized osbb, The lip does need to be removed from the Cups though. The plastic Wheels adapter people are talking about are what came with the 2011 frames, the 2012 frames come with a new aluminum version, which may or may not be made my wheels, I cant remember. Both work great from my experience.

I would suggest using the plastic wheels ones over everything. If you arent lucky enough to get them with your frame, you can buy them seprately for $20 or less if you dont get them.
@racecarbrian

Zachariah

by Zachariah

The Wheels Mfg adapter is the best. I had some fit and creaking issues, with the FSA. With the Wheels Mfg adapters - my DA 7800 cranks were noise free, smooth and the power transfer was still spot-on. I have them still, if anybody is interested. I have since gone Cannondale BB30. PM me if wanting:

Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

Zachariah

by Zachariah

That's heavy, compared to the precision, 24g/pair Wheels Mfg adapters.
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

Hey Folks,
Saw the thread with our Conversion BB chat. Wanted to give a few bullet points on it and why we did it this way.

- We wanted a rock solid BB that didn't have any chance of wiggling/walking out of the frame like many of the adaptors our there do. Our system is connected in the middle so there is no chance of it wiggling and wobbling out. Everything we tested avail in the market was more of a temp band-aide instead of a real solid conversion solution.
- Bearing Quality on this initial version is about an "Ultegra" level quality as we wanted to keep the price sub $100 USD
- We are fine with not being the lightest option out there, as we want to be the most solid/durable option. Balance was our goal with it. If you're going to carry a few extra grams somewhere, we feel this area is the place to do it.
- In time we'll have a higher end version with a really nice stainless steal bearing used. Higher Price point.
- Patent Pending

Hope that gives a bit more insight,
Adam @ Praxis
Manufacturer
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com