50mm Carbon Clinchers...500 mile review pg. 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Got these in last Saturday and have four rides in on them (3 solo, 1 group w/ one climb) about 150miles total. Have been impressed so far with the stiffness. I think they are stiffer than the Reynolds DV46T I had last year and maybe stiffer than my Mavic R-SYS premium I have been riding. The hubs roll very smooth and are not loud which I was gald about. Came with a blue set of brake pads and they were loud on first two rides (screechy) but have quited down. Stopping power feels good same as other carbon rims I have had, but I have not been in the rain or down a technical decent.

They are 20/24 spoke FSC50-CP model from Xiamen. For stiffness I would give them a solid 8/10, no flex up front and minimal in the rear when out of the saddle climbing. Looks wise they have a coat of matte black so they match my bike but I can not comment on the quailty of how the carbon looks. Tires mounted pretty easy, a little tight but could get them on by hand. No crazy claims of them adding 2mph to my normal avg speed, but they do roll very smooth and they "feel" fast :twisted: .

I plan on using these as my everyday wheels so I will update after I get more miles on them reguarding durability. Also would a 60mm valve be long enough? I put tubes with 80mm valves in just because I had stopped by my lbs and bought them before I got the wheels in and they look too long but I was not sure 60mm would give me enough to air up.

1313grams total: 580g front/ 733g rear

I think they look alot better on the bike than my alloy clinchers, but thats just because I like the deeper profile

On a side note alot of people asked about my open mold frame when I put it up and wanted to know if I recommened them. My experience has been good so far, other people have had bad experiences, so I just recommened doing some research and seeing if its for you.
Last edited by caseycycling on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weaverdcivw

by weaverdcivw

What'd those end up running, if you don't mind my asking? Seems like Farsports pricing is always variating, curious what they're currently priced at. Good weight on them.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

I'd be curious how the braking feels at higher speeds compared to your other aluminum and carbon wheels.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

JackDaniels wrote:I'd be curious how the braking feels at higher speeds compared to your other aluminum and carbon wheels.

I guess my aluminum rims would be the standard to go by and I would rate them 10/10. I have used a few different types of brake pads on carbon wheels. The Reynolds DV46T with the Reynolds blue pads would have been maybe a 4/10 ( I only used them a couple of times) they just did not have much braking power. The Reynolds with Swiss stop yellow pads felt great prob 8/10 with plenty of stopping power. I was suprised at how big the difference was b/t the two pads.

These new wheels feel good braking, just a little pulsey (best word I can think of to describe it) when coming from say 20+mph to a complete stop. I do not really feel it braking at speed just when I am on them hard to come to a complete stop. They are new so the brake track may break in and the pulsey feeling may go away. I would give them probably a 7/10, I just do not think they have as much stopping power as aluminum rims, but I feel plenty confident on them.

eric

by eric

How did you contact farsports? I've tried emailing them with no luck.

Do the rims have the "basalt" braking surface?

Which hubs are they? 1313g is nice.

Looking forward to a ride review when you have more time on them.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

eric wrote:How did you contact farsports? I've tried emailing them with no luck.

Do the rims have the "basalt" braking surface?

Which hubs are they? 1313g is nice.

Looking forward to a ride review when you have more time on them.

I emailed them a few times with questions and "Apple" always replied within two days.
Really not sure what the brake surface is.
Hubs are Bitex.
And Ill be sure to update when I get more miles on them.

karmaportrait

by karmaportrait

Great looking build. What what's the rise/drop on that stem? I've been thinking of going with a longer stem and 0 degrees. Unfortunately Thomson only offers +-10 or +-17 for the X2, so I'd have to go with the X4.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

It's a -6* stem.

andyindo

by andyindo

How much were those wheels?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

1300gm something 50mm clinchers? Wut? I guess this is one of their "light" series wheels? Maybe that means no foam inside the carbon or something else to lighten the carbon rim up itself. Can't make the spokes/hubs/nipples any lighter.

Basically you are looking at a Boyd wheel here. He uses Bitex hubs with Cx Ray spokes also. Only difference if the rim itself and how it was strung up.

I would be happy with that setup. I have some Taiwanese 50 clinchers with Chosen hubs and bladed spokes, not CX Rays, but they weight in around 1500gms, I think that is mostly due to the spokes.

Curious about what you paid shpped on these also.

Thanks

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Had a few questions about pricing on these... When I first emailed Xiamen last year they quoted $620 plus $100 shipping, got a price this year of $590 plus $75 shipping.

They were delivered to my door in less than two weeks after I paypaled the money.

Hope this helps.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

That's a fair bit lighter than Enve, Shimano, Zipp, younameit. Hope they hold their own.

Dammit

by Dammit

I've got the tubular version of these, with Hubsmith hubs and CX Rays- come in at 1,112g.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Dammit wrote:I've got the tubular version of these, with Hubsmith hubs and CX Rays- come in at 1,112g.

You guys have more specs, like width at widest part of rim and brake area rim width?

Thx

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

Can you post up a link or information on how to contact this particular distributor?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com