HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm 

As it says really!
Last yr i felt my base endurance wasn t as good as it could be, so this winter, i worked on it as well as higher end stuff.
I normally do about 8 to 12 hrs but this last 1/2 term i have just completed a total of 27hrs in 8 days, a mixture of Z2 and higher intentsity rides, tempo and nr TH but still all pretty much aerobic - well we did throw in a few hill sprints! (i live in a pretty lumpy area) the rides have been between 3 to 5 hrs, with 2 days of recovery and i ve looked after myself, today was a final 5hr ride and i was amazed how good i felt.

It would be great if i could have some ideas on the best way to capitalise on this block? Thankyou.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm 

What are you training for? That will help generate good ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:00 am 

Hi

Mixed bag really, some long Euro sportives and cat 2/3 (UK) racing, last year i was a solid bunch finisher and could raise a sprint for some top 10 finishes.
Training is HR/RPE only
To be honest though it is the Sportives that i really want to improve on, especially the Maratona in July, a finishing time of under 6.15 hrs is my main target, i'm 30min short of that.

As i'm back to work now, i d planned on an easy week before starting to switch it from Tempo to more TH and above intervals ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 am 

jasjas wrote:
It would be great if i could have some ideas on the best way to capitalise on this block? Thankyou.

Rest, and rest hard. And don't skimp on some quality foods, ensuring you get enough carbs, protein, and all fats (except trans).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 am 

Tapeworm wrote:
Rest, and rest hard.

Can you expand on this?

I too am training really hard right now for a race in early April. I feel my training is very consistent and am noticing great improvements. I feel like the flipside, rest / active recovery, is being dealt with apathetically at best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm 

Apart from the "usual fare" of 8hrs + sleep a night and the above mentioned nutrition "hard" rest means really reducing the amount of activity your body is doing and taking steps to improve or aid recovery as much as possible. So after a big block of training doing gardening for 6 hrs is not rest. Walking around the shops is not rest. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours is not rest.

Flat out on the couch, feet up, massage, hot/cold hydrotherapy, "standing" in plunge pool - this is rest.

Depending on the block of training this may only need be done for a day or two before resuming training - all dependant of goals, training loads etc.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 pm 

Rested last week, did a few light rides, this weekend went out and did a few 4 to 6 min TH efforts, i couldnt believe how strong i felt... rest or the extra mileage? whatever, its the best i ve felt in years at this time of year.