Tuned SRAM red clamp on Front derailleur.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Well here goes...

Im 17 from new zealand, still at school. I race alot, ride alot and generally like to go fast. Thanks to my science teacher at school and now my coach im a weight weenie (most of you will know him as 'theremery' on here). I had this SRAM Red front derailleur clogging my man cave bench and decided to attack it with the drill, mini files and a weenies best friend a dremell.

About 10/11 hours later this is my nearly finished product. The derailleur started at 86grams, and now is at 65grams (waiting for nylon and alloy bolts). i also have to rebuild the little plastic bit that holds the two ends of the cage together as i thought the cage went through it but it didnt. but ill reconstruct it out of carbon and only add about 1 or 2 grams to it. Target is <70grams. if with the bolts im waiting for and the new carbon tip its more than 70 ill remove the spring and replace it with a much lighter titanium spoke twisted around the body. which should take off about another 2 or 3grams depending on the weight of the current spring.

It hasnt been tested yet as my current bike is braze on and the SRAM red lever with super record front derailleur is a match made in heaven! (best frontal shifting EVER!!) However i will report back when i have a bike avaiable to test on.

For a project that will end up costing me about $5.00NZD im pretty happy with it. If anyone see's room for improvement comment below and ill see what i can do. So what do you think?[url][/url]
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

whoops no photos, follow the link... sorry they are to big apprently to attach

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj481/taylerreed/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

:thumbup: Wow, that is some great work! Do you have more projects up your sleeve?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

fitty4

by fitty4

Let it shine....polish!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

yes rear derailleur is next. will be more expensive, but 'theremery' and i have plans after a 96gm Sram red rear derailleur had a small faliure. tething problems though.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

and yes... polishing to come

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Here is a new photo, the unit = 64.89 grams without the new alloys and nylon bolts, i have also just moulded a bit or carbon to replace the plastic part that connected the inner and outer cages, but this should only add about a gram or two. then if i can be bothered (you would assume after about 12 hours of dremelling i will be) ill tune the spring using an old titanium spoke replacing the original spring as i think i can get away with less coils and then less weight/mass which is the idea. does anyone have any recommendations on how i can drop a little more off. I thought i could drill out the alloy bolts but realistically thats only a gram or half. So what do you think????

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... to0020.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com