Tubeless with Stan's tape and NO sealant,possible'

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pholcus

by pholcus

Hi all, I'm about to get a wheelset with Stan Alpha 340 rims and since I like tubeless a lot, I was wondering if it is possible to run tubeless tires with just Stan's tape, no sealant, thus saving some weight where it matters. I'd like to fit IRC formula light, impressive 240g tubeless.

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

You'll have to try it - might work but leak air a little faster than normal. Personally the sealant is the key reason to use tubeless - I'd just be very frugal with it if weight was important to me.

MaLóL

by MaLóL

the sealant is not rotational mass at all, as it will stay at teh bottom of the wheel most of it. also repairs punctures... I don't think it will work. Maybe with less sealant than normal, but seems complicated and risky.
Happy trails !!!!!

natiedean24

by natiedean24

It will work fine without sealant.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

MaLóL wrote:the sealant is not rotational mass at all, as it will stay at teh bottom of the wheel most of it. also repairs punctures... I don't think it will work. Maybe with less sealant than normal, but seems complicated and risky.

no it wont and yes it os rotational weight unless you ride really really slowly

Geoff

by Geoff

No, not even if you ride slowly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one trying tubeless. I am going to run Dura-Ace tubeless this season for training wheels to test it. I was going to try the Atoms, but chickened-out and went for the Intense, instead. I have them inflated and seated, but thought I would try them without sealant. I pumped them both to 140psi, but they only hold air for a couple of days.

If you are going to run tubeless on retrofitted rims and tires, I think you will need to run the sealant. I am going to run tubeless-specific wheels and tires, and am contemplating running sealant myself.

eurperg

by eurperg

Put some sealant so it will be and remain to be airtight, even after the sealant has dried after a few months or so.

If you don't put sealant in the first place, the tires will never hold air properly.

Just based on my mtb experiences...

topflightpro

by topflightpro

You are going to need the sealant.

I'm running a tubeless cross set up with Mavic Aksiums, using Stan's Cross-specific rim strip and sealant. Without the sealant, I'd have no air in the tires.

Even with the rim strip, the sealant is needed to prevent air escape. In most cases, the amount of sealant you use should still weigh less than a tube.

edmundo

by edmundo

Tubeless-specific rims (like campy Shamal 2 -way) don't need sealant, in my experience, if you're happy putting in a few pumps every few days. But I believe the Alpha 340 rim is a different profile.
As you are getting the wheels anyway try it as an experiment and post the results. I'd like to know as I want to build some wheels using these rims for use with tubeless. But I don't want to use sealant.
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

pholcus wrote:Hi all, I'm about to get a wheelset with Stan Alpha 340 rims and since I like tubeless a lot, I was wondering if it is possible to run tubeless tires with just Stan's tape, no sealant, thus saving some weight where it matters. I'd like to fit IRC formula light, impressive 240g tubeless.

You **MUST** use tubeless tires, and you ***DON'T*** need sealant. Sealant is necessary for using low pressure non-tubeless tires on MTBs and such. If your road tubeless tires leak, then it's because something isn't sealed properly... tape, rim, tire bead, etc.

EDIT: BTW, looks like IRC has finally produced a tubeless tire that should be fast and light. Now if they'd start selling them in the US for a decent price and add a smaller version, I might get on board.

pholcus

by pholcus

Thank to all, guys, I'll give them a try w/out sealant. My new wheels should be ready shortly.

BTW, I've run DA 7850 SL tubeless wheels, using Hutchinson ATOM (275 g weighted by me), but after only 5 months they began leaking air,the sidewall has failed, so I had them replaced with Fusion 3 (310g average weighted).
I never used sealant, but I had a drop in pressure of abouy 0,50 atm per day. Anyway,DA rim is sealed, so no need to use tape.

I'll post if I can get my new wheels right.

BTW they are Spada Oxygeno 18+24 spokes,should be around 1160 g, one of the lightest alu clincher in town :D

pholcus

by pholcus

I answer to myself: yes, you can run tubeless tire w/out sealant. Today i mounted 2 new IRC formula light on my Spada Oxygeno (alpha 340 rims), with just 2 layers of Stan yellow tape, no sealant, and in 5 hours they' re still at 7 bars. Wonderful!
Last edited by pholcus on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

edmundo

by edmundo

Thanks for posting this. Stans 340 rims + tubeless - sealant will now be the basis of my next wheels.
Under the Sun - a thriller for weightweenies with bike loving main character on Kindle here

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

I don't know about running without sealant for the Stan's, but I don't use it for my Dura-Ace tubeless.

As far as needing tubeless for Stan's....not necessarily. I am using Michelin ProRace 3s with Michelin ultralight innertubes on Stan's 340s. Works great and is a lighter combo than the tubeless Hutchinson Fusions.

pholcus

by pholcus

Ok, but since we're on WW, I put on a IRC formula Pro light, 240 g tubeless. Few tire+tube combination weigh less, plus you risk something using super-light tubes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com