Lightweight Top Cap Expander Bolt for SuperSix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I went with the Tune Gum-Gum and the Soul Kozak top cap/bolt combo.....stupid-light and works great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

I'll add on another Extralite ultrastar, but mine with fibrelyte top cap is only 10g. Dropped 40 from the stock super six/fsa

senator52

by senator52

Also looking for an Extralite Ultrastar 2, but can't find one anywhere. Anyone know where I can find one?

pholcus

by pholcus

on Extralite website!

surfsjp

by surfsjp

FWBikes has them back in stock...

by 2011

I got slightly OCD with the whole top-cap and starnut ordeal and went with this setup. Overall, 9 grams for the top cap, bolt and expander, and it works perfect. I wanted the topcap to match the UD carbon weave of my stem. I don't like combining UD and weave together...ugly! Haha. I don't think you can get any lighter without removing the whole deal completely... which is uncool.

Extralite Ultrastar2 - 7g - http://fairwheelbikes.com/extralite-ult ... -p-29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parts of Passion UD carbon top cap - 1.2g - http://fairwheelbikes.com/parts-of-pass ... -3708.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Schmolke carbon bolt - 0.7g - http://fairwheelbikes.com/schmolke-carb ... -4846.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The PoP top cap is few grams lighter than the Fiberlite, and also lays flat on top of the stem. I did not like how thick the fiberlite and how the edges are not rounded off.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Hey guys, Digging up an old thread here but wanted some feedback about some of the products here...

I have a 2012 C'dale Supersix and looking at swapping out expander plug and top cap. Because of the recommendations (thank you "2011") I have seen in this thread it has come down to these 2 choice.

Ultrastar 2 expander $42/7g (23.3-25.2 mm)
Parts of Passion UD carbon top cap $22/1.2g
Schmolke carbon bolt $20/0.7g

total of $84/8.9g

OR

Tune Gum Gum expander $17/9g (24.0 - 25.5 mm)
Parts of Passion UD carbon top cap $22/1.2g
Schmolke carbon bolt $20/0.7g

Total of $59/10.9g

I dont have a tool to measure the inside of my headtube, just to confirm will both of these fit?
Can anyone attest to the ultrastar 2 being a better product to making it worth the extra money?

renoracing

by renoracing

I was in a similar boat as you, looking for a lighter option for my Caad10...
I'm holding off until these Cannondale units are available...
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cannondale/compression-plug-293057.html

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

Have you seen the Carbon Fiber Headset Dust Shield produced specifically for the Super Six..? It comes in either plain weave or unidirectional carbon and weighs only .6 grams. Veloflyte also produces the lightest top cap at only 1.4 grams..! With the included aluminium bolt, the top cap assembly weighs about 3 grams...usually less. Not that I'm biased or anything...

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

renoracing wrote:I was in a similar boat as you, looking for a lighter option for my Caad10...
I'm holding off until these Cannondale units are available...
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cannondale/compression-plug-293057.html

Yeah I saw that, but the problem is trying to find one. The cannondale expert site said they had them on order back in october but nothing has been posted. Anyone have one of these or know where to purchase one?

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

veloflyte wrote:Have you seen the Carbon Fiber Headset Dust Shield produced specifically for the Super Six..? It comes in either plain weave or unidirectional carbon and weighs only .6 grams. Veloflyte also produces the lightest top cap at only 1.4 grams..! With the included aluminium bolt, the top cap assembly weighs about 3 grams...usually less. Not that I'm biased or anything...

Fairwheelbikes is out of stock. Anywhere else I can buy?

timzcat

by timzcat

I have one of these new cannondale expanders and love it. I had an extralite and was not that impressed. Oddly the cannondale is the same design for the expander but seems to work better.

If you buy a KP203 headset you should get this expander now. I also saw one go for $30 on ebay recently so they are starting to show up.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

Bianchi10 wrote:
veloflyte wrote:Have you seen the Carbon Fiber Headset Dust Shield produced specifically for the Super Six..? It comes in either plain weave or unidirectional carbon and weighs only .6 grams. Veloflyte also produces the lightest top cap at only 1.4 grams..! With the included aluminium bolt, the top cap assembly weighs about 3 grams...usually less. Not that I'm biased or anything...

Fairwheelbikes is out of stock. Anywhere else I can buy?

I sell them through my website veloflyte.com
All transactions go through paypal so it's completely secure.

Thank you

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Do all expander plugs use the same size bolt? I see on velofylte's site that the top cap comes with an M6 25mm. I have seen others use an m6 16mm and then again others use an M5 20mm.

Whats the difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

DAMN all the light weight caps are sold out on Fairwheelbikes. Veloflyte, I want yours, I REALLY do, but I cant allow myself to spend $32 (Dont know if shipping is included in that or not) on a top cap.