2012 Felt F3 got the razor blade treatment... Pics on page 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So it was pointed out... over and over... that my 58cm Tarmac just wasn't the right size for me. An opportunity presented itself recently for me to ride for a local team this year (which I'm really excited about as it will be my first year of racing) and with it I figured I should heed people's advice and do myself the favor of riding a properly sized bike.

All I've got so far are some quick shots at the bike shop - still waiting on Conti 4000s tires for my D'Huez wheels (the SRAMs are headed for the wife's bike) and a Thomson Masterpiece post.

Weight as pictured is 15.63... add another 150g for the front brake. So it's about a 1/4 lb heavier than claimed weight on the website (15.59) - which isn't terrible. I didn't weigh the set of brakes but seeing 150g for the front leads me to believe the SRAM brakes that come standard are more likely Force level than Red.

I'll get a scale shot before the bike leaves the shop with the new goodies - I'm hoping to walk out under 15 lb and short-term goal is to get the bike to 15 lb w/ pedals and cages.

7-20-2012 Update

Well over the last couple of weeks I threw on the new Exogram crank to compliment the YAW fd I've been running. I've just gotten around to installing a DA cassette and KMC X10sl chain as well. Last night I also wrapped up my first wheel build! HED Belgium clinchers on Sapim spokes and Bitex hubs.

Quick photo with just the crank and fd

And with the new wheels, cassette, and chain

12/4/12 update
Last edited by Imaking20 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

dcj9

by dcj9

looking good. what's with the white bits on the handlebar tape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Those are the logos Felt was apparently compelled to put on the tape.

I'm inclined to swap it out right away for lizard skins but I don't want to be wasteful.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

One of the most underrated bikes out there. I loved the look of the Felts that I saw recently. Anyways, I'd change out the seat and seatpost.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agreed! Felt bikes are done no justice in photos and the ride on the F3 is fantastic - from my short time on a demo bike, anyway.

The stock saddle and post is only on for pictures - the clamp isn't even tightened. My straight Thomson Elite post won't work for my fitment on this frame so I'll have a new Masterpiece on monday to hold my Toupe Pro saddle... kicking around the idea of a Selle Italia SLR carbonio, though - and toss the Toupe on the rain bike. The stock post/saddle is HEAVY! Over 170g saved there alone.

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Very nice! I'm also not a fan of the new bartape, but its a lot easier for us in the shop to keep clean compared to last year when most of the Felts came with white tape as stock.

Really tempted to swap my AR in for an F, every time I see a new F series on here it pushes me toward pulling the trigger. Good luck with the racing :thumbup:
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Sharp bike, but my word is that some bad bar tape. Yikes. Good luck with your new team though!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thanks guys!

I've been running white Lizard Skins for the last couple months on the Specialized and it's been very easy to keep clean. If the shop has more in stock when I stop in tonight I may just say to hell with it... though I'm tempted to go with more black accessories than white - we'll see.

And TerribleCadence, I was actually on the fence between the AR and F series! I really like the idea of the AR but I'm not in love with the looks... that is, until a new AR showed up in the shop last week :|

It's a good thing it was not in my size and my F showed up 3 days later!

roberto21

by roberto21

great looking bike. cant wait to see it with some solid colored tape.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Ritchey Road Logic -- 7.56 kg
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Still waiting on the Conti tires to show up. I've got a PRO Vibe post and PLT stem on the way for good measure.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

I love Felts, but the handlebars they put on them with the flattened drops should be changed out with the bar tape. You'll shed a lot of weight just from the bars. The 42cm ones that came with my last Felt were heavier than a pair of Dimension moustache bars I have.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The Felt site lists the bars as being sub-200 gram. That's not the case in your experience?

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

The Devox bars are pretty nice, but I think the F3 comes with the aluminum V4 something or other bars with the flattened hooks. Felt did a pretty good job with their seatpost and stems, but the bars are pretty porky. I ditched them before I even rode my CX bike. I've never picked up a pair of bars and said "wow, those are heavy!" until I saw these.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well they're not Devox but they are carbon bars.
I weighed a 90mm stem from a new AR and it was 120g... haven't had a chance to pull off the 100mm on my F3 yet though. The mid-range UHC post that came with it though is pretty porky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Got tired of waiting on tires so I brought the bike home last night... just to ride on the trainer. Hell for weather outside. The bike as pictured, with Thomson elite post and Toupe Pro saddle, registered 6.97 kg on the scale before I brought it home. I'll update with pictures and weights when I get the PRO cockpit and my ROL/4000s setup installed.