Time iclic2 pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sharil

by Sharil

Any views about these pedals? are they so good as many reviews state? better than some Look keo2 max of the same price?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It depends what you want your pedals to do. Plenty do not think beyond the objective of 'low weight'.

With iClic you get float, low stack height, you get the ability to adjust Q Factor between two settings depending on which cleat you fit under which shoe, you get the ability to adjust the sensation of float, and you get super-easy step-in.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

... and (in my experience of the originals, which are basically identical apart from the new wear plates) 'false/semi' click ins, shoe rocking/unstable feeling when clipped in, and a very un-nerving clicking sound and sensation of about to unclip when on the up-stroke during max effort sprinting.

ebayed mine not long after buying them.

astranoc

by astranoc

Sold mine too at the end. Went with Keo Blades and I am happy enough with them so far.

andyindo

by andyindo

WeightySteve wrote:... and (in my experience of the originals, which are basically identical apart from the new wear plates) 'false/semi' click ins, shoe rocking/unstable feeling when clipped in, and a very un-nerving clicking sound and sensation of about to unclip when on the up-stroke during max effort sprinting.

I may be wrong but didnt the iclic2 fix a number of these issues above?

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

andyindo wrote:
WeightySteve wrote:... and (in my experience of the originals, which are basically identical apart from the new wear plates) 'false/semi' click ins, shoe rocking/unstable feeling when clipped in, and a very un-nerving clicking sound and sensation of about to unclip when on the up-stroke during max effort sprinting.

I may be wrong but didnt the iclic2 fix a number of these issues above?

The only difference between iClics and iClic2's are the metal wear plates. The cleats got updated to help walking wear and to supposedly stop the corner tabs snapping off. But the old cleats are compatible with the new pedals and vice versa, so they could not have addressed the serious problems I had with them without a total redesign.

The half clic-in thing, is inherent in this new pre-tensioned mechanism. You dont need to be in the front of the pedal to force the back springs open to clip in. They can just "snap" shut on the back of the cleat even if the front is not hooked in.

I didn't investigate too much the issues with sprinting, I sold the pedals a week after it started happening.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

It got a 5 star rating from Bikeradar. You can find the review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/best-road-bike-pedals-33045

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Evidently some people just can't get use to new technology. The clip in system is super-easy - the pedals stay open and only close when your foot is in - and you soon get use to it. A certain amount of 'positiveness' is lacking, but then that's the whole point.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I wont bite...

The OP asked for views, I gave him mine. The End.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've also got the originals and I'm reasonably happy with them. Never come across Steve's issue with the front not engaging properly.

The good points -
- Very secure lock in in my experience
- When new the platform is very stable (over time as the plastic wears it gets less so)
- Easier to use (less false clip ins) than the RXS

The bad -
- Poor life of the cleats (apparently addressed with iClic2 and another new material)
- Plastic tops means they wear quite quickly (addressed by the metal plates)
- Engagement not very good when they're dirty (too much friction means they can feel locked in but be at an angle)

I don't know what pedal I'll go with next but mine have done me well although I did buy some cheap shoes for after the commute so I didn't have to walk on concerete with the old cleats (upping the life massively). I'm glad Time have taken the criticisms of the original on board and made the improvements that they have.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If the iClics wear anything like the RXS I wouldn't have been worried as it wasn't bad at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)

astranoc

by astranoc

Iclics have nothing to do with the RXS, the RXS were miles better pedals.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

astranoc wrote:Iclics have nothing to do with the RXS, the RXS were miles better pedals.

But are the pedal bodies made of the same material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Also bought version one of the iClics. Back in 2010/2011.

I have done at least 15 000km on them now.
They do seem to feel a bit more 'loose' on the pedals but I have not had ONE unclip with them.
Cleats have been replaced once and not because I had too but just to be on the save side.

Yes, I do get the clip-in scenario where the front part of the cleat did not engage but you unclip and re clip with no problems. Issue sorted.

I guess I'll give them 9/10. No problems experienced. Nothing broke. Bearings still fine.
I am quite happy with my set. :beerchug:
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Got to say I bought the iClics on the strength of the RXS and I do prefer them. I used to get false clip ins more with the RXS (still not a bad problem and I seem to be one of a minority).

Pedal wear isn't bad on either (I think it's just something you have to accept on all plastic bodied pedals), I seem to remember that I had 3 years all weather use (6-8,000 miles a year over 2 bikes) out of my RXS and the vast majority of wear came from winter riding. I expect to get similar from the iClics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com