BMX Weight Weenie

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

xnavalav8r wrote:Old bike = 14.72 pounds complete.
New bike = 11.8 pounds complete.

Bars are likely to change and still waiting for new pedals. New wheel parts are ordered so these wheels will be changed for a lighter set soon.

What about foam grips with wire ties?
Nokon brake cable housing, or any other kind of lightweight housing?
This may or may not be sketchy, but what about making the chainring and rear cog "thinner" (sanding?) and using a 7-11 speed chain?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

He is sponsored by ODI so we have to use their grips. Brake cable is Nokon. We're using a 10 speed hollow plate/pin chain. As for grinding down the gear, that is probably not worth the effort for the very few grams it may save.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lalahsghost

by lalahsghost

xnavalav8r - Oh wow. I couldn't tell whether or not the cable housing was nokon or not. You guys really did go all out. Chapeau!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Saw this on drunkcyclist and thought of you and your son:

Supposedly a 1lb 10oz Mini with ISP and it looks like it doesn't need BB cups. Plus they are made in my home state :D

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

That is from Tronix. I spoke to the builder. He worked at Titus forever and is a great guy and really talented builder. I just couldn't afford to buy one from him. His junior xl frame weighs more and cost 2.5x what this aluminum frame does. But it sure is pretty.

By the way, most quality BMX frames come with English threaded bottom brackets these days. It seems only older frames require press-in cups.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I mean similar to a BB86. That BB looks WIDE

dlambertjr

by dlambertjr

Fact is you can't get to 10 lbs without extensive machine work and ditching all the ti for aluminum. Even the bolts need to aluminum. And, you have to get creative...shaving grams at a time, not ounces. My sons fmf mini is 10lb 2 ounces. Believe me it took allot to get there.
Attachments
Hudframe blue.JPG
hudbike3.jpg

dlambertjr

by dlambertjr

close up
Attachments
hudbike2.jpg
hudbike2.jpg

dlambertjr

by dlambertjr

The link to the build up and detail. May help you guys.
http://bmxsociety.com/topic/52408-fmf-m ... ld__st__20

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks for the links to your mini. It looks great. I am pretty satisfied with this bike considering it is a Junior XL and I haven't modified any parts. My son has also started winning races on it, so he is pretty excited. He won 6 nationals last year before we moved him up to Intermediate... then he basically started from scratch. So notching the first win was really good for his confidence. He's got the best bike I could afford to give him, now it's all up to his strength, talent, and motivation.

Estelja

by Estelja

Ted,

Would these 306 gram full carbon BMX rims work for your build? The cool factor is off the charts!

http://www.danscomp.com/products-RACE/4 ... i_Rim.html

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

They are cool, but 28g heavier than the alloy rims we used and 13 times the price.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Rear wheel is 727g with cog and rim strip. Front is 484. The set shaved nearly 2 pounds from his previous wheelset in the earlier photos.

Last edited by xnavalav8r on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

kali

by kali

Hi guys

I'm actually building a bike as light as possible for my son, but without spending all the money I have :mrgreen:
He's now changing from mini to junior XL.

the parts already ordered
- Frame Intense podium
- Redline microline carbon fork
- Sinz integrated headset
- Sinz mini combo seat
- Sinz seat collar
- carbon fork spacers

I will order the following parts in a while
- redline microline stem
- micro knobbys

I am hesitating with the sinz carbon bars and the redline 4" which has a claim weight of 238g, the difference of weight is really expensive.

the main thing I am quite lost it's for the wheels, the crupi rythm section are quite lite with 1250g, any suggestion ?
the cranks, what is light and not too much expensive ? the redline microline with external BB is not the lightest but has a reasonable price, and I like external BBs

thanks !!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've been happy with the Answer/Speedline Mini SX cranks, paired with a titanium bottom bracket.

As for wheels, as you can see above, I built my own. I don't have much experience with pre-built wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com