Shimano DURA-ACE 9000 specs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

Hi,

Here are some additional details on Shimano’s new Dura-Ace 9000:

- There will be electronic (Di2) and mechanical versions.
- DA9000 Di2 gets shift levers, “similar” to Ultegra Di2, as well as the narrow-diameter Di2 wiring harness unveiled on the new Ultegra Di2.
- The cranks use a four-arm spider (like Shimano mountain cranks; current road cranks use a five-arm spider) and a new, lighter, bottom-bracket system. Shimano is sticking with their 24mm axle standard; there is no BB30 or BB386EVO option.
- The hoods on the mechanical STI levers are smaller, with a more ergonomic fit and feel.
- The mechanical version will use a proprietary shift cable.
- Front-derailleur shifting effort is reduced by 38% (claimed).
- The brakes are all new. There are two mounting options: standard center bolt and two-bolt aero/TT style.
- The mechanical group’s weight is claimed at 1,908 grams, a 67-gram reduction from Dura-Ace 7900.
- The cassette and freehub body are wider: 10-speed cassettes will work on 11-speed wheels (with a spacer), but not vice versa. Rear hub spacing remains 130mm.
- Shimano did not add any more carbon: Like DA7900, only the brake-lever blades and rear-derailleur pulley cage are carbon.
- The Shimano document also describes a new dropout out configuration for road bikes, but our sources say, “There’s not really any change on that from our perspective.”

You can also check this out:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/f ... p-2013.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JensW

by JensW

Permon wrote:Hi,

Here are some additional details on Shimano’s new Dura-Ace 9000:

- There will be electronic (Di2) and mechanical versions.
- DA9000 Di2 gets shift levers, “similar” to Ultegra Di2, as well as the narrow-diameter Di2 wiring harness unveiled on the new Ultegra Di2.
- The cranks use a four-arm spider (like Shimano mountain cranks; current road cranks use a five-arm spider) and a new, lighter, bottom-bracket system. Shimano is sticking with their 24mm axle standard; there is no BB30 or BB386EVO option.
- The hoods on the mechanical STI levers are smaller, with a more ergonomic fit and feel.
- The mechanical version will use a proprietary shift cable.
- Front-derailleur shifting effort is reduced by 38% (claimed).
- The brakes are all new. There are two mounting options: standard center bolt and two-bolt aero/TT style.
- The mechanical group’s weight is claimed at 1,908 grams, a 67-gram reduction from Dura-Ace 7900.
- The cassette and freehub body are wider: 10-speed cassettes will work on 11-speed wheels (with a spacer), but not vice versa. Rear hub spacing remains 130mm.
- Shimano did not add any more carbon: Like DA7900, only the brake-lever blades and rear-derailleur pulley cage are carbon.
- The Shimano document also describes a new dropout out configuration for road bikes, but our sources say, “There’s not really any change on that from our perspective.”

You can also check this out:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/f ... p-2013.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but "weight is claimed at 1,908 grams, a 67-gram reduction from Dura-Ace 7900", we al know that the 7900 doesn't weight 1975 grams, so i would´t trust in that claimed weight of 9000 groupset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NS

by NS

So are we saying NONE of my current wheels are compatible with DA9000?

JensW

by JensW

NS wrote:So are we saying NONE of my current wheels are compatible with DA9000?

at least not with the new cassette. IF the rumor is true

Frans

by Frans

52-38! Finally the best combo on a 130mm spider money can buy. For a mix of racing/sportives it makes a lot of sense for people who work ~50 hours a week and can't train as much as they like. I've not seen this combo since a Stronglight Pulsion (sp?) back in '06 or '07. Bravo.

What's the rear hub flange spread like now? How far is the DS flange off centerline?

eric

by eric

I wonder what "direct mount" brakes are.

RussellS

by RussellS

Frans wrote:52-38! Finally the best combo on a 130mm spider money can buy.

But if the rumors posted above are correct, Dura Ace is not going to be 130mm bcd. Its going to 4 arm spider of some new bcd.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

This is it... I don't want smaller hoods, funny brakes,
I am buying 7900 now

howler

by howler

digging the promised weight reductions and improved ergonomics but why the 4-arm spider?? OK on an MTB crank as rings are smaller, but if Zipp's experience is anything to go on, 52T road chainrings need the 5th arm to ensure chainring stiffness. Maybe shimano's hollow outer ring can do with only 4 :noidea:

howler

by howler

bricky21

by bricky21

howler wrote:digging the promised weight reductions and improved ergonomics but why the 4-arm spider?? OK on an MTB crank as rings are smaller, but if Zipp's experience is anything to go on, 52T road chainrings need the 5th arm to ensure chainring stiffness. Maybe shimano's hollow outer ring can do with only 4 :noidea:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of effort to make more and more propitiatory bike parts these days? Look at all the(marketed as better)different BB standards, and with each one except BB30 you get limited crank choices. Shimano's 4-1 brake ratio :hmm: whats that all about? Looks Zed crankset is super cool except that you have to buy the entire frame :evil: and so on.

rc32

by rc32

"- The mechanical version will use a proprietary shift cable."

This alone would be a deal breaker for me.

mjduct

by mjduct

what is the cog width/spacing on the 11 speed cassette? Campy compatible?

styrrell

by styrrell

bricky21 wrote:
howler wrote:digging the promised weight reductions and improved ergonomics but why the 4-arm spider?? OK on an MTB crank as rings are smaller, but if Zipp's experience is anything to go on, 52T road chainrings need the 5th arm to ensure chainring stiffness. Maybe shimano's hollow outer ring can do with only 4 :noidea:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of effort to make more and more propitiatory bike parts these days? Look at all the(marketed as better)different BB standards, and with each one except BB30 you get limited crank choices. Shimano's 4-1 brake ratio :hmm: whats that all about? Looks Zed crankset is super cool except that you have to buy the entire frame :evil: and so on.

For a racing bike I think best performance will come from more integration, at the top end. Trouble is its tough to spend 15K for a bike and not be able to re use all the parts, but top end bikes are about the only racing vehicles where integration isn't the rule.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

PoorCyclist wrote:This is it... I don't want smaller hoods, funny brakes,
I am buying 7900 now

Just give it a bit more time and you'll get a better deal ...