Dilemma - Time RXRS Ulteam or Cannondale Evo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Copperband

by Copperband

Previously, I ordered a Klein Q pro XX to build up and after realizing that the frame was too small for me, I returned it and now I need to look elsewhere. So with my drivetrain and wheelset arriving, I had to source for a new frameset.
This build will be utilizing Campagnolo SR 11, crankset is Lightning Sl and the Extralite E45s for my wheelset.

I am still lacking a stem and seatpost though.

After over a month of searching, I have finally narrowed down my choice between these 2 frames.

1. Time RXRS Ulteam Black Label
2. Cannondale Evo (white)

Price wise, the RXRS is definitely higher than the EVO.
I dig the aesthetics and design of the Time RXRS alot, however the cannondale Evo has a weight which is hard to beat, and it doesn't look half bad either.
I am not able to test ride either of them, so I have to heavily rely on the internet for reviews. Time has limited reviews strangely.

I am actually leaning more towards the Ulteam. However, what would you guys think of the above mentioned components on the RXRS Ulteam?
Would it be considered sacrilege to even consider such non european components on it? Some friends of mine seem to think that I'm weird for even wanting to put Edge wheels and Lightning cranks on it. It just feels wrong.
It seems to me that quite a number think that the "proper way" to go for TIME is with Lightweights and european cranks(Claviculas, Campag cranks, etc)

I'm gonna apologize because I know this sounds like a dumb post...

As such, this is my dilemma and I would like to hear comments from you guys.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

your in luck. australian RIDE magazine tested both frames along with the felt f1 in issue 54

all frames were 56cm.

results

cannondale EVO

weight black/white

frame/fork 802g/312

test jig data deflection 40kg on crank

bb 0.38mm
ht 0.33mm
st 0.41mm
ride quality(vibration test- higher number more compliant) 3.95%

time RXRS ULTEAM DI2

weight red/carbon

frame/fork 1175g/360g

test jig data

bb 0.62mm
ht 0.29mm
st 0.33mm
ride quality(vibration test) 2.72%

felt F1

weight raw carbon

frame/fork 814g/364g

test jig data

bb 0.50mm
ht 0.30mm
st 0.03mm
ride quality(vibration test) 2.78%

btw roadbike magazine tested a black evo size 56. the loved it. bare frame 746g :up:
if long term durability is good the EVO will join scott cr1/cervelo r3v1 in the ww hall of fame.

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test- ... latt.9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

milkbaby

by milkbaby

I wish I had an Evo to ride and review for you, but I only have an RXRS Ulteam. It's my favorite bike. I'm no expert, but I would consider myself a roluer type of rider, and the bike is great for riding hard for long periods of time. (There's no climbing where I live, but I'd probably be a climber type if there were.)

To me, the RXRS doesn't have that violent explosion you might want for a criterium bike. That's not to say that you couldn't win a sprint on it or that it feels disconnected from the road, just that I prefer one of my other bikes for that type of riding. It's smooth and lively, my favorite ride.

FYI, I am 5'6", 130 pounds and ride a XS size frame.

my inane ramblings via tapatalk

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

spartan wrote:felt F1

weight raw carbon

frame/fork 814g/364g

test jig data

bb 0.50mm
ht 0.30mm
st 0.03mm

typo?

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

If you're willing to spend what it will cost to put an Ulteam together,
I'd go for the legendary Cannondale EVO Ultimate.
Don't get me wrong, that Time is hot, but what's
better than starting with a well built 11lb bike.

Nice dilemma to have there. :thumbup:

Copperband

by Copperband

spartan wrote:your in luck. australian RIDE magazine tested both frames along with the felt f1 in issue 54

all frames were 56cm.

results

cannondale EVO

weight black/white

frame/fork 802g/312

bb 0.38mm
ht 0.33mm
st 0.41mm

time RXRS ULTEAM DI2

weight red/carbon

frame/fork 1175g/360g

test jig data

bb 0.62mm
ht 0.29mm
st 0.33mm

felt F1

weight raw carbon

frame/fork 814g/364g

test jig data

bb 0.50mm
ht 0.30mm
st 0.03mm

btw roadbike magazine tested a black evo size 56. the loved it. bare frame 746g :up:
if long term durability is good the EVO will join scott cr1/cervelo r3v1 in the ww hall of fame.

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test- ... latt.9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woah... seems like a nice review there.
Could you enlighten me on what HT and ST is?
So the cannondale emerged as the overall winner there? :)

Copperband

by Copperband

2ndgen wrote:If you're willing to spend what it will cost to put an Ulteam together,
I'd go for the legendary Cannondale EVO Ultimate.
Don't get me wrong, that Time is hot, but what's
better than starting with a well built 11lb bike.

Nice dilemma to have there. :thumbup:

:D
Well, I don't think I'm the only person who wished he could get his hands on the Evo ultimate... unfortunately, its not available as frameset only.
Its only available as in White or the Team Liquigas scheme which is 100 odd grams heavier than the claimed weight of the Evo ultimate.

Like I mentioned earlier, I already have most of the components laying around at home except for seatpost, stem, pedals.
Which is why I entertained the idea of the Time RXRS...
I don't think I can dispute the ride quality of the Evo as there's tons of reviews all over the net. The Ulteam in comparison lacks reviews...

This is a tough dilemma......... :noidea:

il professore

by il professore

I have an RXRS Ulteam Black Label. You can't beat handmade French carbon. It IS a stiff bike. It is really responsive and you can feel everything. I rode this and a Wilier Cento Uno at the same time and the wilier was awesome but the Time has such a life to it that the wilier didn't translate..both are awesome.

Sure the Cannondale is superlight..end of the day you are riding a Cannondale. That doesn't do much for me. CAAD 10 for a crit bike? for sure. RXRS for everything else.

Copperband

by Copperband

il professore wrote:I have an RXRS Ulteam Black Label. You can't beat handmade French carbon. It IS a stiff bike. It is really responsive and you can feel everything. I rode this and a Wilier Cento Uno at the same time and the wilier was awesome but the Time has such a life to it that the wilier didn't translate..both are awesome.

Sure the Cannondale is superlight..end of the day you are riding a Cannondale. That doesn't do much for me. CAAD 10 for a crit bike? for sure. RXRS for everything else.

:thumbup:
Thanks alot... Somehow you spoke my mind. However, what would you think of the choice of components that I mentioned to be rigged up on the frame?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

If you go by the RIDE article the Time appears to be a higher quality frame in finish, the Cannondale was lighter but seemed a bit cheap & nasty (cosmetically)...both rode very well though...

Copperband

by Copperband

Wingnut wrote:If you go by the RIDE article the Time appears to be a higher quality frame in finish, the Cannondale was lighter but seemed a bit cheap & nasty (cosmetically)...both rode very well though...

Would you have a scan of the article?

I'm unable to find it online. :D

Permon

by Permon

Copperband wrote:
spartan wrote:your in luck. australian RIDE magazine tested both frames along with the felt f1 in issue 54

all frames were 56cm.

results

cannondale EVO

weight black/white

frame/fork 802g/312

bb 0.38mm
ht 0.33mm
st 0.41mm

time RXRS ULTEAM DI2

weight red/carbon

frame/fork 1175g/360g

test jig data

bb 0.62mm
ht 0.29mm
st 0.33mm

felt F1

weight raw carbon

frame/fork 814g/364g

test jig data

bb 0.50mm
ht 0.30mm
st 0.03mm

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test- ... latt.9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woah... seems like a nice review there.
Could you enlighten me on what HT and ST is?
So the cannondale emerged as the overall winner there? :)

HT = head tube (the lower the better, stiff)
ST = seat tube (the higher the better, comfort)

milkbaby

by milkbaby

The numbers from RIDE magazine are the measured horizontal deflection at the Head Tube, Seat Tube, and Bottom Bracket when a bike is fitted into a test jig and then a 40 kg weight is placed on the crank arm.

The damping % is calculated from accelerometer data taken during a test loop ride. One accelerometer is attached to the chainstay as close to the dropout as possible and another to the saddle rails. Only the data from the vertical axis is used. The rationale is that when the bike is vertically compliant, the force measured at the saddle rails will be damped in comparison to those at the rear dropout.

my inane ramblings via tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Tested-B ... deo-Review

Very different frames. Evo is everyman's ww dream. VXRS is on the other hand a work of art.

howler

by howler

Ride doesn't have that issue's reviews online yet unfortunately- apparently will be available in coming weeks: http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=5078

Time rode stiffer, dale smoother according to reviews.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com