my new white ceramic training wheels, DONE!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

foz

by foz

tochnics wrote:for now a snapshot of the groupset for the bike

not sure if I missed a thread on the groupset somewhere... it looks like an old 105 group, refinished in white? I have an old 105 7 speed group that I'd like to refinish - I was thinking of polishing off the 'champagne' colouring witha dremel and leaving it silver, but the coloured finish looks really good!

If there's another thread, can you point me to it, if not could you post more info here on how you did the groupset? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tochnics

by tochnics

its a white rx100 groupset,it partly in grey
proberly far from limited but i have not seen much of these model then on old koga miyata bikes
i was first thinking of a Dura ace 7900 groupset with white negative gravity brakes in full white
but i decided to give an old frame an almost equal old groupset
i kept the dura ace 7900 on another old steel bike i use as a commuter
i must say that i am not thrilled to sand and pant all those small parts of the derailleurs and brakes
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

foz

by foz

so the group was originally made like that? I didn't know they made one in white, I thought maybe you refinished it to match the bike.

marcusp

by marcusp

now for some white wheels
stock white wheels are all around in all shapes

That may be so but I bet that most of them are round.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=74866&sid=d0af74e757cde203b25229ed6af1c763#
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

fitty4

by fitty4

What was the end result and opinion after testing?

tochnics

by tochnics

bump

the coating keeps going strong
it took me al lot of other wheels after that to find out how to ge the surface more smooth

now days i turned away of the white bike partscraze so i got some stock ceramix rims for my bikes
the bike itself was turned in a fixed gear and the wheels itself i gave away to my dear old mother for her trek hybrid bike

lately i did the coating on my brompton folding bike but i havent had time to finish it
either way i am very happy with the result of that one

cheers
Join the light side

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Hi, tochnics, I am quite intrigued by your homebrew ceramic rims. I am looking for aluminum rims with ceramic brake tracks because I want all black rims, but the options are scarce. What kind or brand of epoxy did you use? Is the coating as durable as factory-made ceramic ones? How did you manage to sand the epoxy to make a even and smooth surface? Thank you in advance!

tochnics

by tochnics

the coating will never be fully as strong as the real ceramic thing but it comes close
to make it work takes to much time so for a road bike i choose to pick the rims that are availebel
i only would use it for my folding bike now
i would make the brake track smooth just by using a vile

check your pm for brands
Join the light side