Help me lose gr from my 6950gr S-Works Tarmac with best $2Gr

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

Dustin..sometimes I confuse myself..

Maybe I shouldn't have said "touring" and said not a crit racer or paceline rider and just went with long rides in the country here in the flat midwest with a periodiac Triathlon thrown in....but not enough to get a dedicated TRI geometry bike.

I ordered the Keywin CRM Ti pedals and will be buying a set of either KCNC C7's or CB1's as soon as I find a silver set priced competitively in the USA. I sold the Ultegra brakes off my wifes bike, will put my Dura Ave BR7800's on her bike and the KCNC brakes on my bike, so I can't wait weeks for an oversea's shipment...

These two upgrades will put well into the 14's with future upgrades allowing for a possible drop in the high 13's...

I still have few parts on the bike that are not fully engaged WW parts...

Once I get everything from this go round installed, I'll post a pic and current weight.
Thanks...

Rick
Somewhere south of Chicago IL, USA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

I received my KCNC CB1 brakes over the weekend. I was able to get them on the scale and got them installed on my bike. Still waiting for my Keywins to arrive…and no mail today…

Here a little background on my swap-a-roo, my Sworks was running Duara Ace 7800 brakes and my wife’s Madone was running Ultegra.

I listed the Ultegra for sale on Ebay last week and sold them.. so I moved the DA from my bike to hers and installed the CB1’s on my S-Works..

Wife’s Ultegra’s with all hardware = 319 grams

My Dura Ace with all hardware = 311 grams

The CB1’s with all hardware = 170 grams

(The CB1’s did weigh in at 163 grams without the barrel nuts….)

So a 141 gram drop off my bike… the CB1’s cost me $215, I sold the Ultegras for $50 so a net cost of $165 and 141 gram drop for cost of $1.17 per gram.
Attachments
Ultelgra Brakes
Ultelgra Brakes
Dura Ace brakes
Dura Ace brakes
KCNC CB1 brakes
KCNC CB1 brakes
Thanks...

Rick

bagguy

by bagguy

Rick,

You the man! Great post, thanks for sharing. I have a question about the quality of the CB1's. Do you have any concern with how light these brakes are? 141 grams lighter than 7800's is quite a drop. Makes me think these CB1's might not last, so please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
AirlineBagFees.com/bicycles
Taking your bike to your next race?
Going on a bike trip?
Find out what it will cost flying with a bike on the airlines.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I didn't have a chance to compare both, cb1 and c7. But according to madcow's test http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7582 the second ones are slightly better.
Have been using c7 for a while and they do the job. My advice is change the pads. Doing so it makes a big difference in how these brakes perform. Especially carbon rim pads.
I'm using swissstop yellow and green.

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

I haven't really got a chance to break them in yet, but am pretty certain that they will do the job for me just from the breif ride around the block. I live the midwest, the biggest decent I will see is down the back side of an overpass. I don't do crit's or other pack racing where superior breaking power is a must. I weigh less than 160lbs and mainly will be using the bike for TRI's, power rides out in the open country, a century or two, and a 6 day bike tour this summer.

I do need to get some new pads and some final tweaks for the exact placement I want for the pad contact and I am certain they will do the job they are intended to do..

If I have any possible negative feedback to relay, I will update this threadwith my experieneces.
Thanks...

Rick

63corvairsprint

by 63corvairsprint

While waiting for my Keywin’s to arrive and do my final weigh in for this years changes…I thought I would dream about the future and what it could bring…as I replace parts due to wear and tear mileage..

Replace DA-7800 Brifters, FD, RD, and cassette with 2013 Red group.
DA = 910gr & 2013 Red = 635 nets loss of 276 grams

Replace DA chain with KNC DLC X10SL Chain
DA= 280 gr & KNC = 230 nets loss of 50gr

Replace Bont XXX Skewers with KCNC Skewers
XXX= 75gr & KCNC Skewers = 41 gr nets loss of 34 gr

Replace current carbon brake pads with ENVE carbon pads
Current pads = 22gr ENVE brake pads = 18 gr net loss 4 gr

Replace 2007 Zipp 808’s with 2012 Zipp 303 or 404 Firecrests
Current weight = 2111 & 303’s w/ Vittoria Evo’s… ??? Net loss of ???

When I need to replace my Chainrings…what to do there? Fibrelyte? Hmmm..
Thanks...

Rick

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

How about your bike?

What kind of saddle you ride?
I just found out I could save app. 70gr by switching from Prologo Evo Nago to Prologo Evo Nago Nack... maybe there is still room for improvement on your bike? New saddle = 155gr.
Not bad for a very comfortable one...
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition