Van Dessel FTB vs. Cannondale Super X

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frans

by Frans

They're quite similar: BB30, 1.5" lower HS, 7cm BB drop, carbon, geometry isn't far off (I'd ride a 56cm VD and a 54cm SuperX).

In other ways they're not: 2x bottle cage mounts on the 'Dale, which is also (reportedly) lighter - 1050-1100 gr vs 1250 gr for the VD.

But that's just a bunch of numbers, has anyone ridden or better yet, raced, both bikes?

I'm 82-83 kgs, generate decent power so like a stiff BB, but am a crap bike handler hence are looking for a lower BB and a stiff front end and fork. Comfort is not so important to me, responsiveness and handling are.

Any experiences shared would be welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

I've been looking at the Super X since Cannondale released it. Every review I've read says it blows away everything else out there. I'm still not sure if I should buy the Red X this year or wait for discs in 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if Cannondale introduces a disc X in September 2012.

Frans

by Frans

What's your read of the hi-mod vs non-hi-mod versions? Do they weigh the same but differ in the modulous used? I don't know. They' differentiated the 2 frames by means of the paint job: the Hi-mod one has the green accents and a vertically cut two-tone fork while the regular version has no green and horizontal two-tone fork. The reg version is 2012 only.

My limited experience with 'cross is a lower modulous carbon with more flex & thicker walls might be better at dissapating shock than the stiffest/thinnest/brittlest/most densely-packed lay-up possible. As in: who'd want to ride a Storck cross bike? :-)

limba

by limba

I haven't ridden either of the Super X bikes but the hi mod is definately lighter and from the reviews I've read (a lot) should have the better ride.
If you haven't already seen these here are some Super X threads.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96312

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93773&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77374

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79568