6k cycles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcusp

by marcusp

Apologies of this has been asked before; my search didn't throw anything up.

People come across these guys before?
http://www.6kcycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The seatposts are very cheap for the claimed weights. Is it a case of "there's a good reason for that" or any they decent quality?

Cheers.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

Gregorio

by Gregorio

No self respecting bike co would sell a mirror for your helmet or glasses :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

marcusp wrote:Apologies of this has been asked before; my search didn't throw anything up.

People come across these guys before?
http://www.6kcycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The seatposts are very cheap for the claimed weights. Is it a case of "there's a good reason for that" or any they decent quality?

Cheers.

Thanks for posting.

They have a rider limit on their carbon seatpost of 170lbs,
but none listed that I saw from skimming, for their alloy posts.
It looks like they claim they are compatible with carbon-rails.

I'm definitely interested in them.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I sprung for one of the 6Ks, a 31.6 x 350 alloy model.

The post itself is the gem part. Very nice piece of machining.

I'd recommend finding some better ti hardware. I substituted some M5 ti hardware which brought it down to 116g.
The stock M4 steel bolts and bridges were heavy chineese metal, but do their job.

Issues if you're a nit-picker: I had to return my post for a replacement. The holes in the post for central pin were not drilled perpendicular (that's 90 degrees, kids) to the cradle. And the half-moon cutouts in the cradle for the saddle rails to rest on were 42mm wide, not the standard 44mm, so that messed up the clamping dynamic. The replacement post was not much better. Again, these are minor issues that most folks wouldn't notice unless you pointed them out.

So I'd say definite bang for the buck, but check it over very carefully before you install.

UTmtnbiker

by UTmtnbiker

Clincher for me was browsing eBay for Schmolke seatpost and seeing the 6k Cycles alloy seatpost for $75 cheaper than the website.

Seems that this is their eBay account:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290655658181?ss ... 500wt_1110

Phill P

by Phill P

UpFromOne wrote:I sprung for one of the 6Ks, a 31.6 x 350 alloy model.
The stock M4 steel bolts and bridges were heavy chineese metal, but do their job.

Issues if you're a nit-picker: I had to return my post for a replacement. The holes in the post for central pin were not drilled perpendicular (that's 90 degrees, kids) to the cradle. And the half-moon cutouts in the cradle for the saddle rails to rest on were 42mm wide, not the standard 44mm, so that messed up the clamping dynamic. The replacement post was not much better. Again, these are minor issues that most folks wouldn't notice unless you pointed them out.

So I'd say definite bang for the buck, but check it over very carefully before you install.

So how many defects in design or manufacturing are you willing to *find* before you determine a product to be poor quality?

OK 6K may not have made the post, but they were still selling products made to that standard.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

marcusp

by marcusp

Mmm; seems their quality control might not be 100%, but the weight / $$$ still seems high.
Worth a punt? Not sure.
I'm after a gloss black seat post to go with my Addict. It needs to weigh less than the (matt CF) USE that I currently run (with a 27.2 collar).
Any decent suggestions? Don't really care if it's Al or CF.
New Ultimate? McFk? I want to avoid carbon weave ideally.
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
Josh Billings

milroy

by milroy

How exciting. Another light weight zero offset post which will guillotine carbon seat rails.

(Sorry, I mean no offence to the OP.)

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Phill P wrote:
UpFromOne wrote:I sprung for one of the 6Ks, a 31.6 x 350 alloy model.

So how many defects in design or manufacturing are you willing to *find* before you determine a product to be poor quality?
OK 6K may not have made the post, but they were still selling products made to that standard.

With all sincerity, not sure what you're suggesting. I don't exactly like a 42mm post cradle squeezing the saddle rails inward by 1mm on the bottom, while the top bridge piece is 44mm. The pieces are fighting each other, and contacting the saddle rails on the sides, not perfectly vertically. So members here can draw their own conclusions. The owner told me he would remedy the issues, although that seems to be QC in another part of the world.
I think the post is worth the price, and then spending a bit more for more precise hardware fixes it, and still for less than 100 bucks, that's a hard deal to top with notmuch effort.

UTmtnbiker

by UTmtnbiker

Just received mine. 27.2 x 290 with all hardware (bolts, cradle, clamping pieces) weighed in at 115g.

Never had a super-lightweight seatpost before so I can't compare it to a KCNC, Schmolke, etc, but compared to my Thomson Masterpiece, it doesn't hold a candle with fit, finish, or just an overall sense of quality.

The clamping system doesn't seem to contour to the rails very well, especially when adjusting for tilt. The cradle pivots fine but as the angle gets more towards a flat saddle, the bolts want to stay parallel to the seatpost and the top clamps wants to stay perpendicular to the bolts, essentially only holding the rails with the edges of the clamp.

Seems secure enough but definitely not as elegant as my Thomson. Of course the trade off is I've gone from a 198g seapost to one that's 115g, a not insignificant weight savings.

I'll ride it and see how it goes.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

UTmtnbiker wrote:Just received mine. 27.2 x 290 with all hardware (bolts, cradle, clamping pieces) weighed in at 115g.

Never had a super-lightweight seatpost before so I can't compare it to a KCNC, Schmolke, etc, but compared to my Thomson Masterpiece, it doesn't hold a candle with fit, finish, or just an overall sense of quality.

The clamping system doesn't seem to contour to the rails very well, especially when adjusting for tilt. The cradle pivots fine but as the angle gets more towards a flat saddle, the bolts want to stay parallel to the seatpost and the top clamps wants to stay perpendicular to the bolts, essentially only holding the rails with the edges of the clamp.

Seems secure enough but definitely not as elegant as my Thomson. Of course the trade off is I've gone from a 198g seapost to one that's 115g, a not insignificant weight savings.

I'll ride it and see how it goes.

I have to ask because of the profile name, but will you be using it on a MTB or RB?
Either way, I'm looking forward to your impressions after use.

UTmtnbiker

by UTmtnbiker

Road, going on to my S-Works SL3.

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

UTmtnbiker wrote:Road, going on to my S-Works SL3.

Thanks.

leosantos

by leosantos

UTmtnbiker wrote:Road, going on to my S-Works SL3.

so what are your impressions? is it CF or Al? thanks! Im using USE seatpost, love them, but they are still $150 for 150 gr.. these 6k's are $105 for 114gr at least on paper.. Tks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com