Sub 7.3 kg/6.4 kg 29'er project buildthread finished pic p 6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Hello fellow weenies!

About the project, and a little bit about me:

For the upcoming season I've started building a light 29'er. I've been on the road for a year or two now, doing the occational MTB race, and now I've decided to do more XC and marathon races. I've debated a lot with myself wether to go for a 29'er or to build an even lighter 26'er. I took a look at my races and where I lost time and where I gained, and found out that I lost a lot of time in the technical parts of the laps. This is due to my training being 95% on the road, so little to no technical training :roll:

So I decided to go for a 29'er, as most of the races I'm going to do is fireroad races with parts of technical terrain, and some of the less technical XC races. That's the type of races that suits me best and the ones I find the most fun. I'm a ATM 68kg rider hoping to reach 65kg by the season, and I've never broken a part unless there was a really hard crash. I'm either gentle or lucky :noidea: :thumbup:

I haven't recieved the frame yet, so I'm leaving it as a surprise. What I can say is that I got a good deal, and that it's NOT a Scott scale. Also, no lefty on this build. For the easiest courses I will be running a rigid fork, hence the 6.4 kg.

So, less blabber, more pictures. I'm starting at the front and working my way to the back of the bike.

Pictures of parts!

Handlebars
The lovely AX-lightness Poseidon. I'd might go with bar-ends at some point, and I got the UD cheap. I'm a student, so not an unlimited budget. I'm used to running 600mm wide ones, but this time I went with 620mm. It has a 25.4mm clamping area. The scale shows 94 grams, so it's possible I'd might get a Schmolke TLO or an Ax Hera 3k to save some grams in the future. We'll se. For now, this is OK.

Ax-lightness Poseidon by Martin.F., on Flickr

AX-lightness Poseidon by Martin.F., on Flickr

AX-lightness Poseidon by Martin.F., on Flickr

Stem
The beautiful Extralite UL3. I guess this doesn't need an introduction, as everybody has seen it before. It looks gorgeous! I got mine in 100mm length, and I guess I'll be using it pointing downwards, with the logos upside-down. It comes in at 86 gms.

Extralite UL3 by Martin.F., on Flickr

Extralite UL3 100mm 25.4mm 86 gram by Martin.F., on Flickr

Grips
I'm not sure which ones to use. I guess the ones that looks the best with the build. I bought two different ones, the KCNC moosgummi and the Extralite ulgragrips. Just by holding them in the hands, the Extralite feels more comfortable, but the red colour on the KCNC looks awesome! No matter what I'll use the lightest plugs, and they will be cut to fit well with my shifters. The Extralite weigh 16g+3g and the KCNC 12g+5g

Extralite ultragrips by Martin.F., on Flickr

Extralite ultragrips plugs by Martin.F., on Flickr

KCNC moosgummi grips by Martin.F., on Flickr

KCNC moosgummi grips by Martin.F., on Flickr

KCNC moosgummi grip plugs by Martin.F., on Flickr
Last edited by Martin.F on Mon May 07, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

I don't see a single damned bike part in any of those pictures!

;)
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

This is the kind of thread I want to see here on weight weenies. Just like the one im doing with my vertex build.

Very nice parts there, cant wait to see the rest!

:thumbup:

Martin.F

by Martin.F

The rest is going to be nice! This is IMO the most boring parts.

I'm really considering carbolifting the frame I'm recieving and giving it a "r5ca look" with matte 12k carbon + shiny black decals and a red logo on the headtube. If I decide to, I will post pictures of the process. I'm also considering driling some holes in the frame to give it an internal cable routing, maybe molding in some cable stops. Time will tell.

The background on the pictures are the cyclepassion calendar. Quite nice, eh? :mrgreen:

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hello Martin - good luck with the build. Looking forward to following it :-)

limba

by limba

*subscribed*

BmanX

by BmanX

should be a great build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Time for a bit more interesting part!

Suspension fork
For this build there was really only two choises IMO. 1: Lefty modified with new steer tube. 2: Rock Shox SID WC XX. Because I want to use a rigid fork as well, and unless I want two front wheels, 9mm qr SID WC is the best choise. The weight is with uncut steer tube of (IIRC) 400mm, and it's tapered. It is also with the remote hydraulic lock-out, but not the matchmaker that comes with it.

Weight: 1487 grams, I'm aiming for around 1450 when it's cut (I need to cut it around 15-18 cm) and got some stuff removed. I plan to replace the metal cap of the top air chamber with a smaller plastic one, and once I've set the rebound, I'm removing the on the run adjustment (10 gms). I appologize for the boring background on these photos (lol)

Untitled by Martin.F., on Flickr

Expansion plug/top cap
I'm going to use a FRM cap to set it properly, and once that's done, I'm going to remove the expander, and putting a DIY top cap on it. The top cap I've made is a dremeled 5mm spacer, with a .5mm thick plastic cut piece glued on top of it. To hold it securely in place I glued a cut to fit part of the rubber used to hold lights in place. The FRM is heavy as f**k, so if I feel unsafe not using an expander, I'm getting a Tune gumgum or an Extralite ultrastar with a 1-2 gram top cap. Weight of FRM: 23 gram. Weight of my self-made part: 2 gram.

FRM team expander by Martin.F., on Flickr

FRM team expander by Martin.F., on Flickr

Custom top-cap by Martin.F., on Flickr

That should take care of most of the front end. As I'm quite short (171cm) I don't think I'll be using any spacers, slamming that stem all the way to the frame. I don't know which headset I'm going to use just yet, but I'm getting a zero stack cap on it. I've seen a really nice one made by "concept 64" on this forum, so that's an alternative.

What do you want to see next? Formula r1r's, shifters or seat+post+clamp? :thumbup:

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Looking like this is going to be an awesome build!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

That's what I'm hoping for as well :mrgreen:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Let's see more of that calendar, in focus this time. :wink:

Honestly: I'm looking forward to this and subscribing. The build, that is.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tjk

by tjk

Like your big plans and will love to watch your build thread, but I´m bit worried about final weight, I´ve seen lots of WW builts and done a few myself and achive 6.4kg with rigid fork is sooo big deal... you will have to do much mure than buy ordinary bike stuff like you did with that SID... It´s really tough job to get 26er MTB around 6kg even with rigir fork and you want to get close on 29er... in this moment I don´t see it possible.. anyway good luck man! wish you make me wrong! :up: :thumbup:
Not exactly pure Weightweenie.... but still crazy enought to hunt every possible gram (used to be, but still like reasonably light bikes :-))

- LITESPEED Obed

- STORCK Scenario Team

- FORT Columbus Ultrafoco

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Thanks to everybody that follows and comments this thread, it warms my heart :-D

Tjk: i've created an exceldocument that sums up the parts to 7268 including pedals, and I have some changes in mind to make it lighter. Time will tell!

BmanX

by BmanX

I think if you are really smart with your parts selection, you can do it. I know with my 26'er hardtail, if I dropped my Sid Race for a Trigon carbon fork I would drop about 1000g/2.2 lbs and that would get me down to about 16lbs for full rigid and that is with a lot of stock parts. If I was going the parts that you selected, I would be down to 15lbs easy. Keep up the good work.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

It's possible. Mines 8kg flat with an untuned Lefty and wheels that are designed to be ridden everyday with my 80kg body. I could still go lighter with post, bar, cables, brake levers, pedals etc too (watch this space).

Watching with interest Martin. If you're 70kg or less this should be very achievable and race reliable if done right.
Lefty heaven