Tune Saddle opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

astranoc

by astranoc

I am having an urge to buy and try a tune saddle and move away from the most classic saddles and shed some weight also. I am looking at either the komm-vor or the speedneedle with a preference to the speedneedle.

I know every bottom is different but I am just wondering how people find these saddles . I am currently sitting on a Toupe carbon and an Slr carbonio.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I have had a speedneedle on my mtb and loved it to death. On my road bike I ride a AX Endurance. I have that saddle for years now. Although the speedneedle is the saddle you like more, you might want to look into the Kom Vor a little more as it is a morde modern version.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

theremery

by theremery

I have a couple of speed needles and a host of other saddles incl Kit carbonio and other SLR variants. The TSN is the saddle I ride most often (waiting to go under 75kg so I can use my DASH saddle) and I love the TSN. It takes a few rides to get used to it but once you do.....they are good for rides up to 6hours. I think that they interfere with leg movement less than the SLRs. I haven't ridden a Toupe but a friend won't ride anything else and reckons Toupes are the most comfy saddle available (for his butt anyway).
I agree with Frankie.....give the Kom Vor a go.....it's the updated version.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

astranoc

by astranoc

Thanks guys.

Is it as flexible as this video is showing it to be? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyjUUXs7ow

theremery

by theremery

Don't know if they are quite as flexible as the video suggests but they DO flex quite a bit :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

cerro

by cerro

Komm-Vor+ flexes more than Komm-Vor. Compared to Speedneedle Komm-Vor flex a lot. I got one Komm-Vor and one Komm-Vor+ but not weather to try them outside yet.

astranoc

by astranoc

cerro is there any padding below komm-vor's leather or it's just a piece of leather on top of the carbon? Komm-vor+ looks sexier but it's also 50euro more expensive. Is the leather there only for aesthetic reasons?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

The speedneedle shape really works for me.

Husum

by Husum

I've owned both..

HATED the Speedneedle. To hard and didn't flex one bit. I was sore after just 15km of riding. I had the suede version, the one good thing, you don't slide around as easy.

Loved the Komm-Vor. Way more flexible, nicer design but after a bit of riding the "leather" started to loosen a bit in the middle of the saddle area. Definitely one of the best saddles I've ridden.

Normally I ride a Carbonio SLR Flow.

But as you say yourself, it really depends on the rider and style.

1415chris

by 1415chris

If your bottoms like SN shape saddle, look at smud-carbon one.
SN in use for the last 3 seasons on my mtb. Cos Smud's saddle shape is similar to SN I went for the one for my new road build last year (66g). And I love it, flexi enough to give you necessary comfort. With this saddle I stopped using chamois creams, no need.

Few pics of the new version, about 74g:

jdp211

by jdp211

I went from a komm vor to a speed needle to a speed needle alcantara. I LOVE my SN, fits just right. I had an early version of the Komm vor that had part of the sides cut in a funny way that was ruing my bibs. Comfy saddle, but my SN's are lighter and I get on with them better. I'd be interested in trying a KV+ though.

thprice

by thprice

I found after about 3 hrs on a SRL saddle it became uncomfortable (my typical rides are 5-6 hrs).
Decided to try Tune Speedneedle Marathon.
While I am very happy with the Marathon, saddle fitting and shapes are personal!

rustychain

by rustychain

Speedneedle Marathon for me. Got around 24000 miles on the latest one. No issues to date. My last one was damaged in a crash, was still ridable.
wear good shorts
spend the time to get the tilt right
make sure your seatpost is compatable
I find a slight rotation of the seat post allows the nose to be offset to allow a bit of room on one side of the jewels if you know what I mean. Nose right jewels left and everyones happy
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

astranoc

by astranoc

Thanks all for your input. My seatpost is an omni racer which i believe is compatible. Although i ll be channging the cradle to smud, any issues with that?

Now I have to decide, komm-var+ or speedneedle? Anyone seen online (eu please) a white var+?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

So my Komm-vor+ was delivered today.

Weight is not 79g, it is 91g, which is quite annoying, if they are specific enough to announce it as 79g then 12gr more is a lot.

Second thing is the finish, quite dissapointed with it all around and actually thinking of sending it back.

I could ignore the above two but unfortunately the rails seem to be further apart for my seatpost to sit properly and I think it's unsafe to ride like that. I have tried a selle italia slr carbonio and a spesh toupe carbon with no issues on the seatpost before. Do Tune tend to have the rails further apart?

I am not that weird, but when you pay 220euro for just a saddle then you expect everything to be perfect.