Colnago C59 Traditional 61 - UPDATED Page 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LionelB

by LionelB

Wow! Looks fantastic like this, I prefer it to the -17 + spacers.

Campy SRM... Going nuts!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks Lionel, yes I actually prefer the look of the -6 degree stem over the -17. Position was of course most important, and when I did the original build I took into account the entire range I might work with using the various stem options and tried the -17 first. Despite the fact that the -17 was a bit too aggressive for me, I didn't really like the look. On larger frames the headtube angle is usually greater than 73 degrees, so a -17 stem actually points slightly down (the eye can pick up very slight changes in angles), which I didn't like. But I had to do it just to experiment. For what I use it for, it really is a perfect fit for me as it stands right now. I'll be building another very special Colnago shortly. Stay tuned.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

-6 indeed much better looking!
But Shimano on a campi / Colnago bike... hmmm

Anyway, you are right about the WW getting down to every gram! I prefer comfort and looks above the last gram. However, when you can make a combination like my swap of Keo 2 Max vs Blade... :lol:

One more question if I may;
For non competition, why do people use tubes?
The way I always learned in the past tubes are easier punctured, more expensive and a hell lot more work to change (especially on the road)...
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Roadbaron51, on my initial build I wanted an all Euro build and even though I've always used Shimano pedals I thought I'd try the LOOKs. Well, turns out I didn't like them and hence the Dura-ace pedals are back on.

As for why people use tubulars, well it's the ride mostly, and to a lesser extent safety. And believe it or not, after all these years I've never had a set of tubulars before these boras. There must be a reason all the pros use tubulars I thought. Plus, I've always loved the bora wheels and they only come in a tubular version. Thirdly, I just like working on bikes. So gluing up a set of tubulars actually, in some sick strange way, gives me pleasure. And the ride is sublime. I find cornering to be better as well and I have a lot more confidence that the wheel is not going to let loose and slide out from under me in an aggressive turn. As for the punctures, I have not found tubulars to be any more prone to puncturing than clinchers and have actually found the opposite to be true. But maybe I've just been lucky. It's impossible to say for sure. But so far I have not had an issue with punctures. As for some people saying that puncture resistance is improved with aging a tubular before gluing it up, I don't know. No one has ever explained to me satisfactorily why this might be so and no manufacturer that I know of recommends aging their tubulars for months before using them. I'll just say I'm in the camp that believes the whole aging thing is a myth and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to glue up and ride a brand new tubular. Bottom line, I like them and I'm not going back to clinchers in the foreseeable future.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

rodebaron51 wrote:Hi,

One more question if I may;
For non competition, why do people use tubes?
The way I always learned in the past tubes are easier punctured, more expensive and a hell lot more work to change (especially on the road)...

One more thing, I will never be in Le Tour de France and I don't even race locally except for maybe the occasional short TT. But it sure is nice to be able to ride the same (or better) bike as the pros. Why not? You only live once. You could just as easily ask why do I even have a bike like this if I'm not racing. Keep in mind that the reason manufacturers build expensive bikes and sponsor teams on those bikes is so people like you and I will buy them. It's our "thing". Let's just say it's a healthy obsession. Thankfully I have no interest in collecting exotic sports cars, but it's really not that much different except for being WAY more expensive. And it's only really been in the last few years that I've actually been able to afford bikes like this. I'm not getting any younger, and bikes make me happy. :)

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Nothing to add!!!

Bikes make us happy... I had to clean mine today after a ride and found out I did it with joy ;-)
Dont tell my wife I like cleaning haha
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

cervelott

by cervelott

I truly believe this is the nicest setup and the best looking bike I have ever laid eyes on. Calnago, you are a genius when it comes to setting up your
bikes.

I bought a C59 myself and can only hope it looks half as good as yours.

Outstanding!

qwop

by qwop

Color-Matched SRM completes the bike more than the Campy cranks with only a slight red ring to compliment the rest of the red bits.

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

damn, properly build bike. i thought longtime about getting a c59 and after seeing yours i'm kinda reflecting about it again ;)

barsook77

by barsook77

Hot bike! One of the better ones out there. Really.

Tubulars are the only way to go. Who would buy a Ferrari and put polyglass tires on it??? Try the Veloflex Carbon or Extremes after the Conti Competitions. They use a latex tube whereas the Competitions use butyl if ya can believe that. Glued and repaired tubulars for 26 years. Only use Extreme tape now. Clean install, the tire lines up perfect every time and you are ready to ride NOW. Inject with Stan's as a prophylactic for small punctures.It works.5.8K on the front tire as a testament. (Still hasn't flatted.) :)

Seen enough of these triple T's. How about eradicating the upside down graphics while you are at it? That way it looks like it was made for YOUR ride.

Otherwise just a great setup. Would love to see the bike with matte finish dark lettering or something similar on the wheelset just for giggles. I really dislike all the rolling adverts we get stuck with. Makes us work harder to see where it all works and flows correctly when we have to add or subtract against the frame graphics!

Less is more sometimes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@barsook77: You're a little late to this party. Built that sometime ago. It's gone through several sets of Veloflex tubulars since. 22mm Carbons, 23 mm Carbons, 24mm Roubaixs, and 25mm Arenbergs. I've got one set of Boras with 23mm Carbons on it currently, and a dark label set with 25mm Arenbergs. I'm really liking the ride and stability of the Arenbergs on the Boras. But since you want to see it, you've given me an excuse to play with my camera a bit more... here's the same bike as it sits today... but I put the dark labels on just for this...
Frankly, I prefer the standard Boras on this frameset. They pop! And with the SRM, it just ties everything in and says "race ready" logos loud and proud.

Here's another day, same bike, iPhone pic, but with a set of Lightweights... the Lightweights look awesome on this bike, but I prefer the Boras overall.

As for the stem, I've been thinking about doing exactly what you're saying... removing the upside down logos. Just haven't gotten around to it. I really don't like "reversible" stuff made to look reversible. Pick one. I feel the same way about frames that accept both electric and mechanical cable routing. Pick one... always looks better and the "one frame does both" concept inevitably involves compromise. I hate compromise :).

But I've already kinda made the stem "my own" in that I removed the red stripe completely. The current stealth stems still have a dark stripe. Don't like it. I will however, remove the upside down logos on the bottom half of the stem since you've put that bug in my head again. But I'm still really diggin' the top cap I designed and had made for this bike. It' really does make it "my own"...

And since you're a little late to the party, and may not have read the whole thread, a summary of changes I made since the initial build are:

1) Pedals: Tried the Looks, didn't like 'em plus all my other bikes have shimano pedals, so went that route on this one too.
2) Tape: Tried the Logo'd Fizik stuff initially just to see. Didn't like it, went back to the plain back "soft touch". I really like the texture of that stuff and the plain black look with no logos. Like you say, less is sometimes (I'd say usually) more. Due to the thinness of the fizik tape I always use the Fizik Gel underneath and wrap tight. Nice feel and adds just a bit girth to the bars.
3) Saddle: Tried a couple that were new to me... the Pro Logo on the initial build (just didn't like all the logos and didn't even ride it). Also tried the Carbon FX San Marco Regale. Didn't work for me, so like the pedals... went back to the tried and true Selle Italias. Changed my saddle setback a bit as well.
4) Oh, and I played with stems a bit, initially wanting to try a -17 look but in the end lopped off 8mm of steertube and used a -6 degree rise and went from a 120mm to a 130mm.

That's it. Love this bike, but if I could only keep one, it'd probably be my EPQ...

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

both stunning bikes for sure !

the stems not aligned with the top tube still bother me though ;)
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

mrwirey

by mrwirey

Damn! I've always wanted a C59, but now I REALLY WANT a C59. Thank You for sharing.

Very respectfully, Tim
"Anything can be a torch if you set it on fire."

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks Tim, why do I think you will probably have one before too long :).

LionelB

by LionelB

These 2 bikes look just right, and probably fit me within mm too....

Always good to have a spare set of Bora :D
Last edited by LionelB on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com