Colnago C59 Traditional 61 - UPDATED Page 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lionel, feel free to pm me if you want to get really detailed with that. Happy to help.

Stefan, I know you are lurking about just hoping I will leave this baby out somewhere for you to grab and swap components, especially the stem :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Calnago wrote:Lionel, feel free to pm me if you want to get really detailed with that. Happy to help.

Stefan, I know you are lurking about just hoping I will leave this baby out somewhere for you to grab and swap components, especially the stem :)

Thanks, I think your detailed answers in this thread pretty much covered it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Uh, I'm not sure where the "HATERS" comment is coming from. Guess I don't see that in any of the responses. Some different preferences expressed perhaps and that's ok and expected. But thanks for the "bike is perfect" comment. I agree and why wouldn't I... built it up exactly the way I wanted it. No compromises.
:D
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Cal - its a stunning example of a well thought out build. Well done! I have the 3T Arx LTD stem on my C59. I think its one of those stems you either love or hate. Personally, I feel it works on my build with the LTD bars.

StefanR

by StefanR

I hate all bikes, only my bike --> no hate

ahha ;)
diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

justinwest

by justinwest

ferrarista wrote:what a wonderful colnago!! such a beauty!

Campagnolo just came out with some new dark label for the bora.

would look quite nice on your bike if you wanna go more stealth

Any more info on these? Where'd you find them? I would absolutely sell my Edge 1.65s for these.

appleduc

by appleduc

You know what a great bike is and how to build it! Congrats.

I just wanted to ask:

1. what's the hight from center front wheel to top of bar?
2. How long is the headtube exactly without any spacers?

I'm now riding a C40 (61) and really LOVE the ride. Not the stiffest front end but what a smooth and comfy ride it is: amazing. Living in Flanders and having my trainings a lot around the cobblestones, I do tell you, there is a BIG difference between other frames I have ridden.

PS. I have 94 inseam and I'm at 84cm BB-saddle along seattube. Riding a -17 stem with a small spacer. Saddle nose to center bar is 66cm.

Thanks
"Less is More"

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Superb bike!

Would love to go riding with you so our bikes could meet ;-)
Besides the wheels and bar it is almost identical... Oke you where first :shock:

You are in a very "racy" position if I see the drop saddle / bar... no backpain on long runs?
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

johnymac

by johnymac

BIG frames can look like garden gates !! But you absolutely nailed it with this my friend, the size is a non issue and thats as good as it gets. lightweight skewers are a must on any build so treat yourself !!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

appleduc wrote:You know what a great bike is and how to build it! Congrats.

I just wanted to ask:

1. what's the hight from center front wheel to top of bar?
2. How long is the headtube exactly without any spacers?

I'm now riding a C40 (61) and really LOVE the ride. Not the stiffest front end but what a smooth and comfy ride it is: amazing. Living in Flanders and having my trainings a lot around the cobblestones, I do tell you, there is a BIG difference between other frames I have ridden.

PS. I have 94 inseam and I'm at 84cm BB-saddle along seattube. Riding a -17 stem with a small spacer. Saddle nose to center bar is 66cm.

Thanks

So sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have changed the front end a bit from the pictures shown. I cut 8mm off the headtube, which got rid of the 8mm carbon spacer I had, leaving just the 3mm red alloy spacer abouve the tall top cover. I also changed the stem from the 120mm, -17 degree to a 130mm, -6 degree. After all that, it actually raised the bar so that the saddle to handlebar drop is 82mm and the distance from the front wheel center to the top of the bar is 618mm. The saddle height is 806mm.

The claimed headtube length is 195mm but that is the measurement without the headset cups are pressed in. With the headset cups pressed in (done at the factory) the effective headtube length is 201-202mm.
For what it's worth, I have a 91cm inseam.

Hope that helps. It's a great ride.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

rodebaron51 wrote:Superb bike!

Would love to go riding with you so our bikes could meet ;-)
Besides the wheels and bar it is almost identical... Oke you where first :shock:

You are in a very "racy" position if I see the drop saddle / bar... no backpain on long runs?

Rodebaron51, the drop shown in the picture is 101mm I believe. I was trying it out. In the end it was just a tad too much for me. See above post for how I changed it. I'm now running with an 82mm saddle to handlebar drop and that is pretty much perfect for what I'm using the bike for. I'm doing a new build which will be slightly less drop again, but it will be just a little more "relaxed".
Over the years I've experimented with different setups, but I think I'm pretty much dialed in now for my liking. This is as low as I would ever go however. No back pain or more commonly (neck pain), on rides with the current setup. I see some bikes on this site with crazy aggressive positions. I think I'm probably middle of the road.

LionelB

by LionelB

That new setup makes more sense. Spacers with -17 does not make sense to me. Do you have a new pic?

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hey, as sad before; SUPER bike!

I am just wondering why I come to 7.2KG and you got a 6.8KG... Bikes are quite alike...

Your data;

Frame and Fork Assembly: SHOULD BE AMOST THE SAME AS MINE IS 62CM...
1126 C59 Frameset including pressed cups for headset bearings
4 BB cable guide and bolt
26 Seat post collar - Campagnolo (Colnago collar weighs same)
362 Fork after cutting approx 6cm length (uncut 384 grams)
32 Fork Insert
54 Headset Bearings
22 Headset Top Cover both short (12g) and tall (10g) combined
8 8mm carbon spacer and 3mm red anodized alloy spacer

Wheels: IS THIS THE BIG DIFFERENCE? ZIPP 404FC CLINCHERS..... AT LEAST MY SKEWERS SAVES ME 79gr ;-)
1202 Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two - Rear
inlcudes Super Record 11/23 cassette/lockring and Continental Competiton 22 Tubular tire
64 Campagnolo Rear Skewer

856 Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two - Front
inlcudes Continental Competiton 22 Tubular tire
58 Campagnolo Front Skewer

Groupset: Campagnolo Super Record 2011 EXACTLY THE SAME OR IS YOURS TI?
596 Crankset 53/39
44 Bottom Bracket Cups
72 Front Derailleur
158 Rear Derailleur
148 Rear Brake (Dual Pivot)
150 Front Brake (Dual Pivot)
334 Ergopower Shifters
236 Record Chain degreased less 2 links (244 - 8 grams)
246 Campagnolo Cables (uncut)

Finishing Kit:
188 Saddle - Prologo Scratch Nack Pro SAME
184 Seatpost - 3T Dorco LTD (350mm) STANDARD COLNAGO....
180 Handlebars - 3T Rotundo LTD 42 c-c FSA PLASMA
64 Bartape - Fizik Microtex Softouch
132 Stem - 3T Arx Team 120mm, -17 degree FSA PLASMA
186 Pedals - Look Keo Carbon Ti Blades SAMW
62 Two waterbottle cages - Arundel Mandible Carbon Matte Black LIGHTER COLNAGO CAGES (48gr)
14 K- Edge chain catcher (18g - 4g for the bolt it replaces) HAVE NON

SO IS IT ONLY THE WHEELS THAT MAKES 400gr?
Bora = 1310gr vs 404 = 1557gr explains 247gr... rest tubes vs clincher?
On the rest of all parts I see plusses and minusses... so call it even....
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

LionelB wrote:That new setup makes more sense. Spacers with -17 does not make sense to me. Do you have a new pic?

And yes, that's the Campy SRM crank.

Rodebaron51... yes in my initial build I had the Super Record Ti crank. That crank is going on a new build. I'll leave it to you to reconcile the other differences as I'm kind of tired right now. I think you're getting just a tad carried away with gram counting however. I know, a blasphemous statement on WW, but really, colnagos are nice bikes even if they may not be the lightest. The SRM on mine added some weight over the initial, but I like having it. I took the Look ti blade pedals off the initial build after only a couple of rides. I just think the Dura Ace pedals work better for me. So, as it is shown in the pic above, it probably weighs a little more than yours at this point, so you can rest easy now. I do love the Campy Bora Ultra Two wheels however. Wouldn't swap them for anything.
Last edited by Calnago on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com