HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
Buffalo wrote:
Looks so much better without the bontrager stem :thumbup:


Thanks! :thumbup:

Just wait until I replace the Aliante saddle with the Antares 00.
That's going to complete the more svelte look.

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
Update:
7.2kg/15.87lbs
(w/pedals of course)

..................................Current Build Sheet:
Upgrades:
-KMC X10SL DLC Black Chain
-Praxis Clover 53/39 Chainrings
-Far & Near Chainring Bolts
-Ultegra SL Crank 172.5mm
-Dura-Ace 7800 Bottom Bracket
-Dura-Ace 7800 12-23 Cassette
-Dura-Ace 7800 Front Derailleur
-Dura-Ace 7800 Rear Derailleur
-Dura-Ace 7800 Shifters
-Dura-Ace 7900 Pedals
-Ultralight CNC Brakes
-SwissStop GHP2 (Green) Brake Pads

Cockpit:
-Edge 120mm Stem 6°
-FSA K-Wing Compact 44cm
-Carbon Bar End Plugs
-Fizik MicroTex Tape & Gel
-Fizik Antares 00 Saddle
-Woodman Deathgrip SL Ti Seat Post Clamp
-Fizik Cyrano Seatpost (Carbon) [cut 27.2/170mm]
-Cane Creek IS41 9.5mm Headset Upper Assembly
-Edge Composites 1.0 Fork
-Carbon Top Cap

Wheels:
-Continental Grand Prix 4000s Tires
-Continental Race 28 Supersonic Tubes
-2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite
-KCNC Ti Skewers

Notable touches:
-Hand painted custom fork to match frame pinline graphics
-All-Carbon contact points (pedals, bar, stem, steerer, seat post)
-Custom sticker to cover warning label on seat tube
-Carbon tape wrapped shifter levers & plates
-Carbon Chainstay Protector
-The only OEM part on this bike is literally the frame
-Madonna Di Ghissallo Head Tube Medallian
(Patron Saint of Cyclists)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Last edited by 2ndgen on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
More goodies that found their way home today...

Madonna Di Ghisallo Medallian (Patron Saint of Cyclists)
It's not as huge as it seems (a relief). The diameter of the head is about 1 1/2".
I thought about painting it gloss black to not be so visible, but now I'm not so sure.
I think I'm going to clearcoat it and mount it as is. It's a beautiful piece of work.

Image

Image


KMC X10SL DLC Chain
Black IS Beautiful! You can't see it in the pictures, but this chain is gorgeous!
255g out the box. I'm going to lose at least 5 links when it goes on, so I'll
post the final weight then.
Image





Install of Medallian:

Image.Image

Image.Image

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:30 am
Posts: 703
Location: Simi Valley CA
Build is coming along nicely.

Do you have weights for the parts, or the bike on a scale? 15.57lbs seems a bit generous for your particular build.

Just curious, since a friend of mine has a SuperSix 1 and it come in at just under 16lbs. He's got a pair of 1400gr Novatec Sprints on there too.

_________________
eurperg wrote:
My wife is sitting next to me, and just thought that was a dildo, not a saddle.. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
Getter wrote:
Build is coming along nicely.

Do you have weights for the parts, or the bike on a scale? 15.57lbs seems a bit generous for your particular build.

Just curious, since a friend of mine has a SuperSix 1 and it come in at just under 16lbs. He's got a pair of 1400gr Novatec Sprints on there too.


Thanks! :thumbup:

After adding a few things to it today, I had her on my Park Tool DS1 @ 7360g.

I have 2 tubes (-40g), 2 tires (-100g), a saddle (-65g) and a chain (-25g)
going on tomorrow (all except the saddle) waiting to be installed still.
Conservatively speaking, that will put it at 15.71lbs.

I may see 10-15g less with the chain when I remove excess links
and another 20g if the tires come out to be the 145g claimed.

If the Continental Supersonics give me any problems on the paths I ride,
I'll gladly go back to the Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires I have and I
believe that will kick me back up to 15.93lbs. Either way, I'm done.
I just wanted to get her under 16lbs while keeping her roadworthy.

The only other upgrade I'd consider would be a custom crank arm set.
I'd love to get Hollowgrams on it, but she's not BB-30.

I might tune the stem for 10g and I'm seriously considering ceramic bearings for the Ksyriums.
Supposedly, ceramics save 40% weight over steel and then there are the other benefits to having ceramics.
I was going to get a lighter set of wheels, but for what I need (a heavy rider build), I can't find anything strong
enough for what I want to spend. Besides, the Ksyriums are serving me well and I feel totally comfortable on them.

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Brisbane CA
Nice work and thanks for sharing the details. I'm working on a similar weight reduction on my CAAD9.
I like the fact that you are keeping it reliable and not delicate. So far, this bike has been quite road worthy.
Got mind down to 16.05 with the following:

Frame, CAAD9, 56cm
Fork, Easton EC90, straight fork
Groups, 2010 Sram Force
Cranks, FSA SLK Mega Exo 50/39
Wheels, DV46C with Velo Plugs
Tires, GP4000s
Stem, FSA OS150
Bars Ritchey Evo 42cm
Seatpost, Deda Black Stick with Mag. head
Saddle, Sella SLR(forgot model, around 190grams
Skewers, KCNC
Chain, Dura Ace 7900
Cassette, Sram Red 11-26
Tubes, Continental
Look Keo Max
Water Bottle Tacx

With what you've done, I am sure I can get it down to 15.7 range with just swap of crankset. I have an Easton crankset and SLR saddle already and that should drop it down to that range. My estimate if I do the following, it will be down to 15.1 or 15.2

EC9O crankest
Saddle, Sella SLR Ti
Stem, 3T Arx Team
Pedals, Look Keo Ti
Zero G brakes.

I didn't account for little things yet like cutting seatpost, extra length on steerer, bolt tuning and seatclamp..etc. Will have to search WW on the CAAD9s that are sub 15lbs or 6.8kg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
FYI:
I just got my Continental Grand Prix Supersonics that were supposed to be 145g.
They came in at 168g & 171g. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. Very.
I could understand variances of 5-10g per tire, but avg 40g difference per tire?
That's outrageous especially when my Continental Grand Prix 4000s came in at 209g
(6g below manufacturer claims). They are going back. I'm going to stay with the GP4Ks's.

My bike will not be at 15.73lbs, but it will be at 15.93lbs (still under 16).
I have other ways to get some grams off.

On a more positive note, the Edge Stem (130g) & Continental Supersonic Tubes (55g)
WERE at claimed weights.

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
sfcyclist1 wrote:
Nice work and thanks for sharing the details. I'm working on a similar weight reduction on my CAAD9.
I like the fact that you are keeping it reliable and not delicate. So far, this bike has been quite road worthy.
Got mind down to 16.05 with the following:

Frame, CAAD9, 56cm
Fork, Easton EC90, straight fork
Groups, 2010 Sram Force
Cranks, FSA SLK Mega Exo 50/39
Wheels, DV46C with Velo Plugs
Tires, GP4000s
Stem, FSA OS150
Bars Ritchey Evo 42cm
Seatpost, Deda Black Stick with Mag. head
Saddle, Sella SLR(forgot model, around 190grams
Skewers, KCNC
Chain, Dura Ace 7900
Cassette, Sram Red 11-26
Tubes, Continental
Look Keo Max
Water Bottle Tacx

With what you've done, I am sure I can get it down to 15.7 range with just swap of crankset. I have an Easton crankset and SLR saddle already and that should drop it down to that range. My estimate if I do the following, it will be down to 15.1 or 15.2

EC9O crankest
Saddle, Sella SLR Ti
Stem, 3T Arx Team
Pedals, Look Keo Ti
Zero G brakes.

I didn't account for little things yet like cutting seatpost, extra length on steerer, bolt tuning and seatclamp..etc. Will have to search WW on the CAAD9s that are sub 15lbs or 6.8kg.


Nice! :thumbup: Pics would be nicer!
I could say I found about 1/4 lb in places I never thought about and they were free.
Right now, I'm a little disappointed that I'm not at 15.7 myself, but I have ways to
get there. It'll just take a little more ingenuity and a little more money.

It's hard building a bike that's in the 15lb range and that is still bullet proof.

Looking forward to your experiences SFCyc.
:mrgreen:

Edit:
Keeping the Supersonics.
Bike will be 15.74lbs after all.

Edit II:
Not keeping the Supersonics. It's just not worth it.
Granted, they shed 80g off my bike, but they aren't everyday tires.
I hang my head in WW shame, but it won't matter how light my tires
are if I'm stuck 10 miles away from civilization walking home on cleats.

:smartass:

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:43 pm
Posts: 2906
Location: Canada
heres what mine looks like right now. Only major changes are the sisl SRM and some position tweaks on the levers and handlebar. Pictured with sram training wheels. That thing is pretty damn light for such a basic build. Race worthy

Image
caad9 par devincification, sur Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Brisbane CA
Here's a current pic.. it's far from worthy of showing off, quite dirty. NTL, here's a photo that show it 15.95. I cheated by taking one bottle cage off. That was to replicate carbon cages. The Tacx cages are around 40grams each so about double that of a carbon cage.

I think even at 15lbs range, this is still very reliable setup.

In regards to the tires, not worth the sacrifice there. Throw your dollars elsewhere.

Image
photo(2) by sfcyclist1, on Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 159
2ndgen wrote:
KMC X10SL DLC Chain
Black IS Beautiful! You can't see it in the pictures, but this chain is gorgeous!
255g out the box. I'm going to lose at least 5 links when it goes on, so I'll
post the final weight then.
Image




Install of Medallian:

Image.Image

Image.Image


That medallion came out looking very nice! :thumbup: Just how did you find it in the first place tho?!?

One question, is it just the lighting in the photo, but your X10SL DLC black chain looks silver in the pic? I have a X10SL Ti-nitride gold chain on one of my bikes which looks nicely blingy, but the black/red DLC chain would match the bike colors better at the same weight (all black and red highlights). Not sure it's worth the $ to change at this time but I'm curious about the coloration...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
milkbaby wrote:
That medallion came out looking very nice! :thumbup: Just how did you find it in the first place tho?!?

One question, is it just the lighting in the photo, but your X10SL DLC black chain looks silver in the pic? I have a X10SL Ti-nitride gold chain on one of my bikes which looks nicely blingy, but the black/red DLC chain would match the bike colors better at the same weight (all black and red highlights). Not sure it's worth the $ to change at this time but I'm curious about the coloration...


The Medallion I got on eBay here (it was about $30./shipped):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-di-Ghis ... 0831713811

As for the chain, I was borrowing a camera and didn't know how to turn off the flash.
So, it's hard to see that it's Black. I'll be posting pictures of it tomorrow afternoon mounted.
:mrgreen:

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Brisbane CA
Just noticed you have the Woodman clamp.. then I remembered I have a Omni seat clamp. Good for another 15 grams. C-dale one was around 23/24, Omni is 8. Down to 15.8.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
sfcyclist1 wrote:
Just noticed you have the Woodman clamp.. then I remembered I have a Omni seat clamp. Good for another 15 grams. C-dale one was around 23/24, Omni is 8. Down to 15.8.


I believe my Woodman Deathgrip Ti SL is about 11g. Let me check...

...annnnd I'm back! :mrgreen: Yep. 11g for the W'man and I got 22g for the CDale.

Image

Image

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:18 pm
Posts: 617
Update:
The KMC X10SL DLC Black Chain is on. To my pleasant surprise, it shifts like butter.
I'm very happy with the way it cooperates with my Praxis Rings & Dura-Ace 7800 Cassette.
I just got a little nervous because of the hodgepodge of different manufacturers involved in my set up.
It looks absolutely great! And the best part:

The 116 link X10SL weighed 255g out the box. It went on a diet and lost 5 links. It's now at 225g!
I would've been happy if the chain had been 240g as spec'd, so I'm very cool that it's 225g.
Current bike weight: 7300g. Once my saddle comes in, I'm counting on another 65g gone.
So, 7235g and a 15.95lb weight. Then, I start tuning here and there and see how far I can go.

If I had kept the Conti SuSo's I shipped back today, she would've gotten down to 7155g.
In the greater scheme of things, 80g is a lot, but not worth it. I'll just have to sharpen
my pencil and look for other places to work on. Now, about that Dremel...

:mrgreen:

_________________
Project CAAD9 7.2kg
The CAAD Build Thread


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deska, Google Adsense [Bot], rijndael and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2009 si sl vs 2014 si cannondale crank

in Road

are

0

672

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 am

are View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Blue Caad9 Semi-Budget project

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

justanewbie

9

1933

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:26 pm

justanewbie View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cervelo R3 SL 2009

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

bahn

8

1497

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Deev View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2009 Scott Addict R2

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

simurs4

4

290

Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:43 am

kulivontot View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. My 2009 Specialized Tarmac

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

sandman001

14

1545

Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 pm

istigatrice View the latest post


It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB