rollerracing.ca

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shampoo

by shampoo

Hi everyone

I am about to launch my new startup.

http://www.rollerracing.ca

Race your bike in realtime using nothing but your powermeter or ANT+ speed sensor and your favorite trainer. It's all done from inside your browser.

Thanks !

J

theremery

by theremery

Does a tacx fortius powermeter count? (it's not ant+ as far as I know)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shampoo

by shampoo

As of this minute, we don't support the Fortius. However, it shouldn't be an incredibly difficult thing to do.

So it, along with the Computrainer and the other Tacx models are on our list of things to do..

J

Geoff

by Geoff

Congrats! Sounds like fun. I have looked at your site, but only see a 'login' screen with no details. Is that right, or do I need Flash?

shampoo

by shampoo

Thanks Geoff.. it's been a lot of work..

So far I just have the teaser page up.. But we have a working site and we'll be taking in users very shortly.

Thanks for the interest !

J

yeaux

by yeaux

I signed up last night - you should expect a few more members of my team. This seems like a pretty awesome idea. Can't wait to see what it's like when it launches.

shampoo

by shampoo

Excellent..

You know, when you start these things you think you have the greatest idea since Facebook.. But as you get closer and closer to launch date, you get less and less sleep from worrying about if this thing will take off or not.. It's very stressful. But the way I think about it is if I'd be into using it, then at least there's one person who's into it.. Personally, I really look forward to racing you all. I think it will make winter that much less painful.

I am going to write a blog post later explaining how it works and what to expect..

Thanks for all the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

J

bricky21

by bricky21

Thats a good idea. Should make indoor riding a little less horrible. You should make everybody sign something that publicly acknowledges that they're a complete douchebag if they adjust their slope to artificially inflate they're power. It won't stop some people, but they'll have to live with themselves :P

shampoo

by shampoo

It's funny because when I was brainstorming this idea you can get really wrapped up in little details like people who cheat.

I know someone over at Strava and I asked him about cheaters and he too said he spent a lot of hours thinking about what to do about them. In the end though he said that it wasn't as big a problem as he thought.. The site self polices itself to a certain degree.. Obviously there isn't going to be money or medals involved so if people do cheat, then really, they aren't winning very much except some fake personal glory..

But we tried to build in some anti-cheating safeguards.

We are thinking about how to handle categories of riders. Wouldn't be be cool for instance if you could race anyone fairly regardless of how good they are ? What if we handicap you based on your abilities ? That would also maybe solve some of the cheating problems.. So you could line up against a Cat 1 Pro and actually be able to compete against him...

Stuff like that..

J

motorthings

by motorthings

I signed up as well, and am excited to see what it looks like, esp. curious about the user interface. i love trainerroad and sufferfest for making the winter trainer sessions less boring, and direct competition would be a great thing to add into the mix.

on the subject of cheating on strava and the like..when I was hit by a car a few weeks ago, i decided to let my strava app continue to run on my smartphone for the ambulance ride to the ER, hoping to get a good climb in. :mrgreen: unfortunately the ER was only 1/4 flat miles away, and it did little to even up my average speed for the ride. i figured i'd admit to the cheat on my ride comments, and would get a pass due to the circumstances, but it wasn't needed.

yeaux

by yeaux

I know you said you would be writing a blog post, but I figured I would ask anyway. How does this work if all we need is an ANT+ power meter? Does it factor in our weight and use power to weight? Can we virtually "draft" another rider?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

how will u differentiate someone riding rollers (no resistance) vs someone riding a trainer?

Mikeno

by Mikeno

Great idea. I like the idea of a handicap value. Stops cheating as puts everyone on a similar level. Means you can race someone and your relative fitness levels are irrelevant . Decreasing your handicap would add a long term aim along with the short term goal of winning a race (Golf). Obviously those on rollers would have a bigger handicap then those on turbos but do you need to make the handicap visible to all or just to the individual. Continually adjusting the handicap value based on prior performances is a good idea. Long term graph of handicap would be nice.

:thumbup: Signed up and looking forward to it. :thumbup:

beardking

by beardking

all I'm getting is the page to enter your email address? is that right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shampoo

by shampoo

Yes, that is correct. We are taking addresses for people who'd like a sneak peak.

J