Miche Supertype Cassette...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xrs2

by xrs2

I got mine from Wiggle...haven't been able to find it elsewhere yet.

I just mounted it on my wheel set a few hours ago. Haven't had a chance to ride with it but it sure looks well made.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Miche is supposed to be more compatible with Campagnolo than Shimano.

The shifting problems are mostly attributed to incorrect set up of the drive train or incorrect chain to match the drive train. The Miche products are going to cost less as they are heavier and do not have the same refinement as the higher end Campagnolo.

I have Miche hubs and cog on my track bike. I changed the bearings on the hubs to ceramic since when I bought the wheels used and they were a bit grindy. Other than that Miche products are generally fine.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

claus

by claus

XXcycle has them:

http://www.xxcycle.com/road-cassette-and-miche,en.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let us know how it works for you.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

My cassette lasted a bit more than 1300km first 1000 was fine, indexing even better than original.
I had experienced some odd chain jumps but finally one day when I tried to ride out thru the village it was
really embarrassing with loud cracking noises from a wildly skipping chain at every red light/crossing.

It had to be said that I was 92kg and the rear Conti comp tubular are thru to the fabric in 2300km.

Consider how well it shifted I'd say it is a good alternative for the climbing trips on the light wheel-set.
And a lighter rider will probably get a lot more mileage out of it.
I never ride in the rain and my chain is always
fresh, clean and well lubed so that is not a factor.

For me that rides for months straight in the mountains it is a bit to expensive for the mileage, I'd probably
go thru 6-8 for the same mileage as an original. (made of 2 cassettes to get a 11-27)
Attachments
worn-miche.jpg
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

bartali

by bartali

stella-azzurra wrote:The Miche products are going to cost less as they are heavier and do not have the same refinement as the higher end Campagnolo.

Umm ... these Miche Supertypes are about 50g lighter than Super Record. I doubt they are as hardy as SR, but I've done well over 1000km in the Alps Pyrenees and Dolomites on one and its still running sweetly ...

timzcat

by timzcat

SRAM XG cassettes are lighter. Last much longer are quiet and shift well. :noidea:

Ritterview

by Ritterview

These are available at Wiggle.

(My last order from Wiggle to the U.S. I was hit with $26 in Customs!)

These Supertype cassettes are aluminum, and so should be lighter and less durable than the SR Ti.

In 11-23 the weight is listed at Wiggle as 132 grams, whereas the SR 11-23 is 181 grams.

At Wiggle, the Miche in 12-29 is $253, whereas the SR is $522. So, if the Miche wears out twice as fast it is around even for cost.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

timzcat wrote:SRAM XG cassettes are lighter. Last much longer are quiet and shift well. :noidea:

Yes. Its a pity they don't suit Campy. Their powerdome design would be patent protected and Sram wouldn't be in any hurry to license their key weight reduction cleverness to Campy for any reasonable fee. If you were running 10 speed you could use it with a pull ratio adapter.
r o y g b i v

bartali

by bartali

timzcat wrote:SRAM XG cassettes are lighter. Last much longer are quiet and shift well. :noidea:

Are they? Do they?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Ritterview wrote:My last order from Wiggle to the U.S. I was hit with $26 in Customs!
What shipping carriers (G.B. and U.S.)? What products in what container with what value?

timzcat

by timzcat

BobSantini wrote:

Yes. Its a pity they don't suit Campy. Their powerdome design would be patent protected and Sram wouldn't be in any hurry to license their key weight reduction cleverness to Campy for any reasonable fee. If you were running 10 speed you could use it with a pull ratio adapter.

OP is asking for a Shimano equipped bike, I am confused how the conversation turned to Campy?

@bartali

11-26 XG Cassette is 148g
There is no comparison between an OG and XG cassette, they are that much better.

howster01

by howster01

Hi,

I actually have the Miche carbon tubular wheels and they are sweet. I have this very cassette coming to me for Campy and am very much looking forward to it. I also have the SWR carbon crankset and the new Supertype calipers coming very soon I hope.

The Miche stuff is some of the best you can buy and is totally Italian. My components are going on my new Sarto Davanti frame along with Campy Chorus FD, RD, and shifters. Just from being able to put my hands on the Miche wheels was a huge thing for me. I know several pros who ride Miche and they really love their stuff. Once I have the cassette in-hand I would be happy to give my feedback if anyone is interested. Some of the Miche components I am getting are having to come directly from Italy and it will be a little while before I see them. However the cassette will be here in a few days. Since the Sarto won't be completed for at least another month and a half, I will use it with the wheels on my Bottecchia Super 8Avio since it has Campy as well. I can give as much feedback along with weight etc if anyone is interested.

Also if anyone is interested, Excel Sports has the Vittoria Corsa EVO CX Tubular Tire 700x21 for just $56 and change. They are normally $94.?? As of a few days ago the blue and white tires were what they had in-stock and on-sale. The black were not on-sale. I was told the red and yellow tires may be reordered and at the sale price, but they won't know until they arrive. You just can't beat that price on such an awesome tire. Just thought some folks might want to know.

If anyone is interested in the Miche line, I can put you in touch with the US supplier. My Sarto rep is in Canada, but travels to the states regularly. Great people and a great product. For anyone who has wanted a true, and I mean TRUE and REAL honest to GOD Italian handmade frame, Sarto is the one. They make their handmade frames for a lot of companies who tout them as their own. OK, sorry if I seemed to be selling Sarto and Miche. Just trying to get folks interested in some great product with great customer support.

Take care and safe and happy riding.

Cheers,

Howster