Post Burnout Advice / 2012 Training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Please help!

Two years ago I started Time Trialling. I'm pretty sure going too hard, for too long, too many times led to burn outs in 2010 and 2011. Both resulting in 1-2 months of the bike. The feelings were no energy and a dull ache type sensation (I have researched cronic fatigue and it ticked all the boxes).

I average 80-150 mile/week road/turbo/mtb, I'm at 3rd Cat level. I have ridden for years and used a power meter for the last two.

After a busy time at work and time off bike late 2011, I have been ramping up the training over the last three months. All was doing well after taking it real easy. I have done a couple (weeks apart) hard 5 minute benchmark sessions and have hit 90% of my max power records early - Great! My turbo sessions have been 3 to 7 RPE. My heart rate is normal and I feel fine.

Here's the problem:
(1) When trying to do any intensity at all the lactic build up in my legs is immense, HR stay slow, breathing is fine but my body just won't go. I'm talking anything above a 6 RPE.
(2) I then have the dull, almost tingling, ache sensation. Later I feel fine. It's not like I'm doing hard back to back sessions.

Whats going on?
Just getting older (36 now)?
Chronic Fatigue? Or the prelude to it?

Any advice or similar experiences welcome - Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Outline diet in detail, sleep/rest, other commitments.

How do you know it's lactate build up in the legs?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Diet>>>
Stuff I eat: Porridge, walnuts, salad, veg, pasta, rice, wraps, coffee (3xday), eggs, chicken, bananas.
Stuff I don't typically eat: Bread, McD's, added sugar, alcohol, potatoes, mushrooms.
Rest>>>
7-8.5 hours sleep
Work>>>
2011 intense, now backed off a lot and enjoyable - No stress or external pressures.

One recent symptom is (what feels like) lactic build up in legs way below normal levels, eg breathing feels fine - Legs feel shot.

Ta

Illuminate

by Illuminate

1. Without changing anything else, could you try increasing water intake substantially (by 1-2L per day in addition to what you already consume). This includes before rides .Report back.
(Target = dehydration)

2. Increase Mg2+ levels in your diet (try using Mg amino chelate for bioavailability). Ca2+ levels too.
(Target = mineral deficiency)

3. Red meat?
(Target = iron deficiency though this would be one of the standard tests for CFS)

4. Coffee: reduce to 2 or fewer during the day. Never any after noon (can effect sleep quality even when all has nearly been excreted from the body)

5. Protein - getting enough. Take a WPI protein drink (with added glutamine and creatine) immediately following training session. Mix in some sugar to help shove it through the glycaemic window). (Target: glycogen depletion state and resulting protein catabolism + addition of substrates for adaptation/recovery phase.

6. Rest. The most overlooked/valued part of training. It's when you make your physiological gains. Try to periodise and get to know your body is feeling. Never more than 3 HIT sessions per week spaced at least a day apart. At least 2 rest days per week (no bike work at all). The 8hrs/night that you have sounds good! Keep that up.

No joy? Time to see the GP for some bloods to be run (perhaps even now would be a good time just to make sure you don't have EBV or something funny like that.

Please let us know how you get on. All the best!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I concur with most of the above except I don't advocate much in the way of supplementation. For protein I prefer milk (not to mention all the other good stuff in it). I would also just generally consider a little more variety in the diet (fruit seems to be on the light side). Out of curiosity, why no bread, potatoes or mushrooms? Just preference?

Another thing to consider the heavy feeling in the legs may having nothing to do with "lactate" (unless you've had tests to confirm). I would look also to fit issues/blood flow. Have you changed position, saddle, bibs stem etc recently? Any injuries or postural issues?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

Assuming nothing else listed above pans out for you - it maybe time to go visit a physician for some basic tests for Thyroid issues plus adrenal insufficiency, hypogonadism, etc..

I agree with the possibility of circulation issues especially if you have certain postural or anatomical anomalies associated with femoral or other arterial/circulation issues. Bike position does influence this somewhat - especially a TT position if you have a very acute angle at the hips along with trouble keeping your knees in, or they hit your chest/tummy causing you to externally rotate a bit out under load in the TT position to keep from hitting yourself.

As with all medical type advice from a weight weenie board - it is worth what you paid for it so please consult a local health professional if you ever have doubts about your health.

Good luck and hope you figure this out!

Billy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

If you have symptoms that severe, the first step would be to visit a doctor to get a complete physical and blood tests to check for vitamin deficiencies, iron, thyroid, etc...
Maybe they will find something. Even if they don't you will have more peace of mind about it as you modify your training program.

Also, just my opinion, but time trialing is inherently the most excruciatingly boring thing to do on a bike. Go on road training rides and enter some centuries or road races. Time trialing needs to be reserved for only a few times per year. It just plain sucks to be bent over and in excruciating pain all by yourself for about an hour! :|