Colnago Master 55 Anniversary - 6520 gr Pics on Pg13

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Here's the up-coming summer project

Colnago Master 55 - size 50cm traditional :D

I'm planning to go for the modern/non-retro built, though may well change a little depending on what will be mentioned in this thread.

Current choice of components:
Campagnolo Record or SR, with or without the red logos? (feel free to share your thoughts)
Stem: Extralite 110mm (OS)
headset: Chris King Sotto Voce (black) - IMHO the silver Record 1inch threadless will not match the black/gold color scheme?
pedals: Look Keo
H/bars: ?? most likely an Easton EC90 (majklnajt will definitely comment on this :lol: )
seatpost: Campagnolo record carbon 27.2 (or any other suggestion?)
wheelset: a have a few sets available (Hyperon, LW, RZR, 32spokes OP)
bartape: black
saddle: Selle Italia SLR64

feel free to add some comments :beerchug:

cheers!
Last edited by maverick_1 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

Congratulations amazing looking frame.

dcj9

by dcj9

that's already a super super colour paint scheme for a non-retro build :thumbup:

i think a 'shallow' deep section rim would suit perfectly - cosmetically - like 32-38mm or something.
its what i would have used on my peg had i not already had LWs from a previous build.

edit: try building with the red logos first? you can always remove them later :wink:

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@dcj9,

thanks for the suggestions.

I sold my SR '09 components to a friend 3 months ago.. :doh:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=97034

though frankly i think the original SR will look better rather than the one with the red logos.

as for the suggestion on the wheels, the Hyperon Ultra should be OK i guess..

i'm not in the hurry to build this up, will be taking a while since i hardly ride nowadays.
kinda enjoy the process of building, collecting bikes rather than riding it lately.. :lol:

wshiong

by wshiong

you have a good taste, enjoy the ride
Passoni Mirror

Passoni Xxti

c50jim

by c50jim

That's a great looking frame and it should make a nice bike. I built a Master a couple of months ago as my winter bike and am enjoying it. The usual predictable, stable Colnago handling with decent ride quality.

For the build on that bike, I'd go with fairly conventional looking wheels such as the Hyperons or OPs. I'd try to find a Record or SR group without the red accents because I'm not a fan of the accents. I just looked at the accented brakes on my son's C50 and I don't see how you could remove the accents without wrecking the rest of the logos. I'm sending my Pegoretti to my builder today and I bought Chorus for it since it's the best group without the accents. Black headset would be my choice too with those colours. For bars, I'd go with the style you find most comfortable. I've settled on shallow drop for all my bikes whether that style was available when the frame was new or not (and I have 3 C40s so I'm definitely mixing eras).

Enjoy the bike.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Hey my friend :D

Nice frame!! Chick are gonna love the black/gold color scheme! :thumbup:

You can remove the red logos and replace them with gold ones ;)
But maybe it will be a nice contrast to everything else.
The bars might be ok as long they are debadged! :D

I would choose LWs and Hyperions. You might try it with tan sidewalss. I think it would go well with the golden color!

Looking forward to it :beerchug:

maverick_1

by maverick_1

thanks for the comments guys..
looks like I will opt for the SR or R11 with red accents.
makes no sense to go back to the original SR..though visually it looks better.

I have another C50 in STSL which will be ship out to me soon, and the C50 in PR38.
damn i'm addicted to classic Colnagos, buying and buildling them.
there's something special about the older generation Colnagos..can't find the exact words to describe.

@majklnajt
knowing you i know you'll ask me to de-badge the bars :lol:
i guess it won't be that noticable and i'm just too lazy to de-badge it..
another option is to use my extra ITM Millennium stem, with ITM Millennium classic/shallow bars.

kgt

by kgt

maverick_1 wrote:Current choice of components:
Campagnolo Record or SR, with or without the red logos? without
Stem: Extralite 110mm (OS) ok
headset: Chris King Sotto Voce (black) - IMHO the silver Record 1inch threadless will not match the black/gold color scheme? Colnago makes a black headset. Not CK quality but it will look better. Otherwise anodize a record or chorus one maybe?
pedals: Look Keo
H/bars: ?? most likely an Easton EC90 (majklnajt will definitely comment on this :lol: ) Easton!? please... 3t, deda, something more suitable
seatpost: Campagnolo record carbon 27.2 (or any other suggestion?) fine
wheelset: a have a few sets available (Hyperon, LW, RZR, 32spokes OP) Hyperon without decals, ventoux, something custom with a low profile carbon rim (again without decals)
bartape: black
saddle: Selle Italia SLR64ok

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

wowwwwwwwwwwww that's nice. really, really nice.

anything black and campy gets my vote, from chorus on up.

somehow i can't see silver parts on there, as much as they'd otherwise look proper on anything colnago steel.

ps if you can swing it, consider getting a custom steel lugged stem, painted to match. something like this from dazza, in black & gold. note: he apparently doesn't build one-off stems, i just posted this for ideas.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The frame looks incredbile :o Is it any different in construction to the standard Master?

cmh

by cmh

justkeepedaling wrote:The frame looks incredbile :o Is it any different in construction to the standard Master?

http://bikereviews.com/2009/09/colnago- ... road-bike/

Little too much gold for me but I wouldn't kick it out of bed. :)

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Absolutely Master-ful! Totally stunning frame, can't wait to see how your build turns out!

my inane ramblings via tapatalk

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Stunning. A true work of art.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

All sounds really good to me. Can't go wrong with the Hyperons but there's something kind of special about just a classic low profile rim with stainless steel spokes laced 3 cross. Not the lightest of choices but i still love seeing a classic build go by with the sun reflecting off of the stainless steel spokes. And I agree it doesnt make sense to go backwards from the newest Campy stuff. It works better than the '09/'10 versions. Just a little more refined and crisper. Looking forward to seeing it all built up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com