Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

I think you make a good decision,and put education on first place and you are looking ahead on your feature,thats good. I had the same problem,i was thinking,that i will find some nice job,and i need no education( one of the title of Pink Floyd song os a lie:)),but if you want have a better $$ job you have to be more educated,i think you know what i mean. Its a little OT but very usefull and its a true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@bikemaniack
:beerchug:

Just one photo - seatstays:

Each only 28g, and I still have to cut it a bit..

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Berk wrote:/...

Probably some of you are interested for the weigh of those wheelsets.
The weights are without quick releases (43g) and with 10 bars:

LW Ventoux III:
- Continental GP 4000 22mm tubulars
- Dura-Ace 11-27 cassette
- 1788g

LW Standard III:
- Continental Competition 22mm tubulars
- Sram Red 11-28 (will change it for 11-25 or 11-23, don't need 28 at all)
- 1812g

.../

And here are the rest of the parts on scale, a bit better photos (click on them for ful size). More or less I only made some small cosmetic changes (a few black bolts, removed the red painting etc.,..) and now it is like I really want to have it 8)

Ritchey Superlogic 42cm (c-c): 190g

Ritchey WCS 130mm/- 17*: 137g

Sram Red rear derailleur: 144g

Seatpost clamp: 13g

Chain-catcher: 9g

Sram Red front derailleur with 34.9mm clamp: 84g

Look Keo Carbon pedals: 229g

Sram Red levers: 294g

Sram Red crankset BB30, 53/39, 172.5: 624g

Sram Red brakes + Lightweight brake pads: 283g

BB30 Press-fit bottom bracket: 88g

Wilier bar tape: 93g

FSA tapered headset 1 1/8 - 1 1/4: 68g

+ Sram Red chain, Enve fork, Berk frame and seatpost combo, Elite Pase carbon bottle cages, cabels (Jagwire, or maybe even Nokon?..)..

The build will be around 6kg, will see..it will be light, but the weight is not on the first place, first I want to have a really stiff and reliable build that will also look nice..

I also just laminated the dropouts...wanted to make some more work, but I have to get some new material if I want to continue with the work,..and I already prepared all the carbon pieces :doh: :lol:. And I have one more problem, it's very cold here (-14*C right now) and the water instalation for my workshop has frozen :lol:

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

Jure:

Like so many regulars on the forum, I've become a fan of your posts and love learning how CF frames are constructed from your firsthand experience.

I was also very interested in your most recent post with your LW wheelsets' specs/weights. With so many different rim/hub/spoke combos being used by the regulars, often w/ only estimates of weights based on manufacturers' data which can be suspect at times, I really appreciate seeing the real weights and build specs of actual wheelsets to learn what people are riding and what's possible. I started a thread titled Just Wheels (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99279) in the hope that members would contribute their data so we could gradually assemble a catalog of actual wheelsets. Not much response yet. Would you post your LWs wheels on it to help?

Cheers,

John
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Hello Jure,
nice work and wheels. But I can see, that both wheel sets are nearly the same weight. So I would like to ask You, if You can feel any difference between Ventoux nad Standard. Can You feel those 25 gramms when climbing? I know that the weight is distributed a little different on Ventoux and on Standard. Do Ventoux climb noticably better?

Martin

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@Fourthbook
Glad to hear that, thanks. I already posted the weights also there, didn't saw the topic before that and I think that it's a great idea!

@Martin1977
Unfortunately I wasn't able yet to test them. Right now we have snow and it's very cold (-10* or even less)...as soon as I'll ride them I'll write a ride report!

The weight difference is really quite small, also because on the Standard there is a bit lighter cassette (I think that the Dura-Ace is 180g and the Sram Red 167g). It's more about the handling, not about the weight. And as long as I'm a lot on my bike I prefer to ride with a lower profile, and with the deep profile only 1-2 per week, depends on where I'm riding..I'm a lot in our mountains. But as I mentioned, the weather conditions here are at this moment quite bad and probably I'll manage to finish my frame before the weather will get good enough for cycling (hope that even in this month)

Here just some more parts on scale - just get my favourite bottle cages today

Elite Pase carbon: 59g /pair

Sram Red chain: 251g

Enve 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 fork: 357g
It's still uncut (350mm) and I'll have to cut 135mm (to 215mm ) so it will be even lighter then

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi, just a small update, this time not really good news. I just worked on the tubes for the internal routing, and saw that there are some imperfections around the cable-stop area on downtube and also toptube. There are some air voids around the grooves and I really don't wan't to use something that isn't perfect, so I'll make a new downtube and toptube - this time without the "integrated" cable-stops. I'll make them after I laminate only the tube.

I made some calculations and probably won't use the ALU small tubes for the internal routing. Why? I can instal the cables also without those tubes, of course it takes some more time, but it's true that you don't change cables every day.. Without the small tubes I could save around 30g, and it would be also a few hours less work.. For my PT2 frame I made it like that and it works of course perfect, but it can take you quite a lot of time to instal the cables...so I made it with small tubes on my PT3 frame, but it's quite complicated and it also adds weight...so I'll go for the WW version this time :mrgreen:. Maybe I'll be able to make a new toptube and downtube even in the next few days, will keep you updated..

Miller76

by Miller76

Berk wrote:Just finished:

UD, matt look and with black graphics 8)

STUNNING!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@Miller76

Some updates about the frame project - I made a new mould for the seatstays, will try to make it in a different dimension (even smaller) and I think this time it will be possible..altough I have to get some new material (probably I'll get it tomorrow), but I still just have enough for the seatstays and will experiment a bit today.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi all!

Some great news regarding "Berk Composites". I'm in contact with a Slovenian hi-tech company where they could make some custom tubes for me, with my own design. It would help me a lot because I really spend a lot of time to make all the moulds and tubes by myself..I'll have some more meetings in the future and hopefully it will be possible till 2013.

That means that I could start making my own custom made frames (road and MTB)! I have all the right support and will most probably get "the green light" to start with my own company even this year! But I still have to think about that and of course still A LOT of work to do, but I think that all of you deserve to know that, because I really respect all the people who like my work, and that's priceless!

I'll follow my heart and work on that. I'm interested only for the top-quality and lightweight products, and I think that this is the only right decision!

It would be great to hear some of your opinions!

Thanks to all and greetings from Slovenia!
Jure

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Berk wrote:Hi all!

Some great news regarding "Berk Composites". I'm in contact with a Slovenian hi-tech company where they could make some custom tubes for me, with my own design. It would help me a lot because I really spend a lot of time to make all the moulds and tubes by myself..I'll have some more meetings in the future and hopefully it will be possible till 2013.

That means that I could start making my own custom made frames (road and MTB)! I have all the right support and will most probably get "the green light" to start with my own company even this year! But I still have to think about that and of course still A LOT of work to do, but I think that all of you deserve to know that, because I really respect all the people who like my work, and that's priceless!

I'll follow my heart and work on that. I'm interested only for the top-quality and lightweight products, and I think that this is the only right decision!

It would be great to hear some of your opinions!

Thanks to all and greetings from Slovenia!
Jure

very exciting news Jure, thats a good thing for you, i think you should give it a shot. you only live once and its the things you say no to that you regret later in life.

i put the combo through its paces this week end with a 140km ride through the National park out of sydney.. if was totally fabulous
As the others are i'm very happy with my berk combo!!!!
Last edited by sugarkane on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

billspreston

by billspreston

Do it! :beerchug:

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Sounds like a really good update.

Go for it and have a great time. Starting your own company is really useful experience, but make sure you have some good people around you.

:thumbup:
Ride it like you stole it

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

@sugarkane, billspreston & Tomstr

Thanks for the support :beerchug:
Glad to hear that sugarkane!

Sure, it would be more or less an "one man show". I also have two brothers (one is my twin and the other is 2 years older) and if I would need some more people it would sure stay in our family :thumbup:

I won't rush with it, but hopefully in one year or so I'll manage to slowly start with that. Somehow my aim is till 2013. Of course I'll have to make another frame with the new tubes and present it etc.,... Anyway, I love this work and if I'll manage to start something like this it will be a dream come true!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com