aesthetics: white saddle/tape on black.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I want a aesthetic opinion on color combinations? if you will..

I bought a Litespeed carbon bike which had a mostly white paint job, added a prologo NACK saddle in white. The frame was warrantied and I received the latest frame with matte black. If I put white saddle/white bar tape would it look good? The bar is Zipp vuka so the tape goes only up to the hoods.

(fonts are silver, not bright white)

By the way,
Do you like the matte black appearance? I think it is a few milli-grams lighter maybe. But the resin look alot like adhesive residue.
Last edited by PoorCyclist on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drchull

by drchull

In my opinion yes and yes. That frame will look great with white saddle and tape. I do like the matte black with the white highlights.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Yes it will look awesome.

Alternatively, I don't have a pic, but on one of my bikes I have black bartape just up past the hoods but a white seat. I changed the hoods to white and it looks good that way too.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I found a couple of pics of C1R build with similar finish.. I think it will look good then.
It looks like I should swap out the cable housing from white to black.

gospastic

by gospastic

I do white saddle, black tape, white hoods. I think it looks good.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

White shows the dirt.

buikpijn

by buikpijn

I'm a sucker for matte black,

my black/white supersix has got a white saddle, (this one) and it used to have white tape, black hoods, but this has now changed for black (fizik microtex, which is matte also) tape and white hoods.

I like the black tape/white hoods better. Don't try to find matching white tape for white hoods, it's a more of a quest than anything else, really..

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

it's taking me a while to warm up the matte black, but I rarely clean my bike so it maybe a good choice.

Can you put product like bike lust or pledge on the matte? Will it make it into uneven sheen?

caseycycling

by caseycycling

I love the look of the white bar tape and white seat on the black frame, but the white tape gets dirty so fast. Then your riding around with dirty bar tape which looks like total crap. I gave it a try on my black frame and I loved the look, but it did not last long and it was more white/brownish so stripped it off and went with black.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

PoorCyclist wrote:it's taking me a while to warm up the matte black, but I rarely clean my bike so it maybe a good choice.

Can you put product like bike lust or pledge on the matte? Will it make it into uneven sheen?

... a little off topic, but if you rarely clean your bike, matte black will be a pain in your arse. I somehow think my parlee z5sl shows way more dust, dirt, and grime then my white cannondale. It may sound counter intuitive, but I think matte black shows EVERYTHING. But hey, I actually LIKE cleaning my bike!

and yes, to the pledge... I've used it on mine and it looks great!
TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

blcknspo0ln

by blcknspo0ln

If you can't decide, you could always go with dual color Lizard DSP bar tape. Then just choose which color is on top and on bottom 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shokhead

by shokhead

mattiTWOROADS wrote:
PoorCyclist wrote:it's taking me a while to warm up the matte black, but I rarely clean my bike so it maybe a good choice.

... a little off topic, but if you rarely clean your bike, matte black will be a pain in your arse. I somehow think my parlee z5sl shows way more dust, dirt, and grime then my white cannondale. It may sound counter intuitive, but I think matte black shows EVERYTHING. But hey, I actually LIKE cleaning my bike!

and yes, to the pledge... I've used it on mine and it looks great!

Always have used pledge wipes on carbon but I also found the wipes gets rid of the oil and oily marks on your hands. Wipes them off pretty darn good. Who knew!!