New Wheels opinion - ENVE or Lightweight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which Wheels?

MEILENSTEIN Obermayer WEISS EDITION • Lightweight
43%
Enve 3.4 with Alchemy Elf/Orc hub
47%
Enve 3.4 with White Industries Ti hubs
11%

Total votes: 47

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

sawyer wrote:Neither - LWs are overpriced and hard to repair, and ENVE's are not stiff, oh and overpriced (in Europe).

Enve's not stiff? Must be a build gone wrong......

elfuinha

by elfuinha

jmartpr wrote:
sawyer wrote:Neither - LWs are overpriced and hard to repair, and ENVE's are not stiff, oh and overpriced (in Europe).

my ENVE are plenty stiff in 20/24, no rubbing the brake pads, no spring felling, and i weight 86kg full equipped on the bike, but they are the 1.45, the 1.25 are an other question for this weights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

jmartpr wrote:

To be honest with you I've never ridden ENVE wheels.

However it's worth you reading Adrien's recent post on WW on why he believes ENVE rims are not stiff. Adrien knows more about wheels than anyone else on this forum I'd venture, so have a think about it.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Link?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

sawyer wrote:
jmartpr wrote:

However it's worth you reading Adrien's recent post on WW on why he believes ENVE rims are not stiff. Adrien knows more about wheels than anyone else on this forum I'd venture, so have a think about it.

i've read it, he only talks about the 1.25 vs Axligthness.

don't forget the a wheel is combination of 5 things:

1 - rim
2 - spoke
3 - hubs
4 - lacing type.
5 - spokes count

i don't think i'm forgeting any????

for my weight i will not buy the 1.25 either.

best regards

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

I respect Adrian as he has a lot of research on wheels but as always opinions vary.....we have sold various brands and currently distribute ENVE and to be honest when well built I find they are probably the stiffest of all the full carbon players......never riden the Lightweights but on just specs the idea of all parts bonded together sounds like a solid wheel. Going back to the topic....the 1.25 are not the best examples specialy if these were the first Gen of them.....they redesigned the rim and gained a bit of weight to improve stiffness. 45 or 65 are a different story.....

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I giggle a little about the "not stiff enough" comments.

Sure tests might find them more flexible, but that's still relative and doesn't mean they'll be a noddle out there for the vaaast majority of riders out there.

Never ridden LW's, but I'm a big guy and found the 3.4's to be excellent wheels. And plenty stiff enough.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

does any one ride the LW Standart Sprint model????

regards

sawyer

by sawyer

elfuinha wrote:
sawyer wrote:
jmartpr wrote:

i've read it, he only talks about the 1.25 vs Axligthness.

Wrong.

Search for the thread with the title "ZIPP Wheels stiffnes" [sic]

To quote Adrien:

"ENVE rims are very flexy, definitely. Basically, to estimate the stiffness of a rim, you have to check the weight to depth ratio.
For a given material, at a given depth, the heavier the rim, the stiffer it is. There is no magic you know.
Forums feedback are good for first hand experience, but they do not replace labs testings.
ENVE rims, from 1 series: 1.25, 1.45, 1.65 are all to be put in the category 1 I mentioned in my previous post."

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

I respect Adrien's opinion and I haven't read that post but to assume a rim would be stiffer because of its weight is wrong......what if you used too much or too little resin? What is you used a low quality carbon? What if the manufacturer never placed the carbon sheets in the most eficient orientation? Too many variables. But one thing is true of ENVE rims, very few get close to how much tension you can place on their rims...and that's directly related on how solid is the rim design.

sawyer

by sawyer

jmartpr wrote:I respect Adrien's opinion and I haven't read that post but to assume a rim would be stiffer because of its weight is wrong......what if you used too much or too little resin? What is you used a low quality carbon? What if the manufacturer never placed the carbon sheets in the most eficient orientation? Too many variables. But one thing is true of ENVE rims, very few get close to how much tension you can place on their rims...and that's directly related on how solid is the rim design.

Read the thread I suggest. It may help inform the decision here ...

Really READ it ... "... for a given material ..." etc.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

elfuinha wrote:does any one ride the LW Standart Sprint model????

regards

any in sites on this wheel???

by 2011

elfuinha

by elfuinha

:lol: :lol:
2011 wrote:Image

elfuinha

by elfuinha

NEW ON THIS TOPIC.????

REGARDS

by Weenie