Does my wheelset really weigh...

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Farqui

by Farqui

Hi Peeps,

I'm a relative newbie to this Weight Weenie lark and although my steed isn't ever going to be as light as some of the 'WeightWeenie' steeds I'm still keen to loose a few g's where I can. Which is where you guys/gals step in, hopefully...

My beastie is a 2002 Marin RockSprings and I've already replaced the saddle (light-ish Specialized BG), seat post (Thomson 0 layback), bars, grips and tyres (kevlar Panaracer Trailblaster 1.8's) and as my std Deore shifters were playing up I've just upgraded them to LX.

Over the last couple of years, I've been trying to replace bits with lighter kit and recently found that the new Trailblasters made a fantastic different to the ride over the original WTB Motoraptors. Shaving around 1lb+ of rolling mass along the way.

As my tyre swap was so beneficial, I've been thinking about replacing my wheelset. With your help, I'd like to quantify if my standard Marin ovation, disc (cup/cone) hubs with Mavic X139 rims are really as heavy as I've measured them! While changing tyres, I simply dropped my std wheelset (including qr's, hope disc's, cassette) onto the scales and saw around 2,000g on the front and 2,500g on the rear, which comes to around 10lb in total!!! If this is true then it equates to roughly 1/3rd of the bike weight...

To match my measurements to a Weenie listing I've roughly calculated that my standard disc hubs/X139 rims (minus all the guff I included above) come in at around;

Front 1,811g
Rear 1,959g
Total 3,760g = 8lb

Looking at the WeightWeenie listings I see that Hope XC, disc hubs with X517's come in at around;

Front 803g
Rear 906g
Total 1,709g = 3.7lb

Can I really save around 5lb just by replacing my wheels? I'm not looking for an exact comparison on my kit but any experiences that you've had of suggestions on what make good XC wheelsets that are available here in blighty.

PS: A lighter and shorter stem is on order from On-One (80mm, 135g, std Marin = 175g) which should help to equalise the differences between/panic! when jumping from my MTB to my commuter :)

My zero layback, Thomson seat post deviated from my 'replace with lighter' strategy as it totally transformed the ride and handling...for the better!

TIA, Farq's
Farqui

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

If you weighted it with cassette, rim tape and disks and skewers that adds to the weight over what is listed here or on any site selling wheels

Wheels and tires are one of the easiest ways to loss weight on a bike and it makes the biggest difference as well as it's rotational weight.

Choose your next wheelset wisely and if custom who you get to build it.

personally for me Chris King hubs are great - last forever and low maintenance. - not the lightest but a good weight. Run Stan's no tubes liners and go tubeless on almost any rim. Rims are up to you and your ride style as is spoke type and count.

Do realise a straight gauge, low spoke count set-up can weigh more than a higher spoke count/mixed gauge set-up.

using an XT cassette will save you weight over your deore/lx and is good price/durability. If you change the cassette change the chain as well. Sram pc89 or 99 are great chains.

Check out www.mtbr.com for reviews on parts and wheelsets.

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

Go for DT competiton spokes and brass nipples :twisted: Stronger and last longer
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

Tippster

by Tippster

Given the spec of bike you have described and the spec of kit you have upgraded with the following will be useful

XT hubs / Mavic X517/317 rims / DT rev spokes - approx 1,800g costing £100 Merlin cycles (UK)

DT hugi hubs / Mavix X517/317 rims / DT rev spokes - approx 1,600g costing £285 Merlin cycles (UK)

Tune or King hubs / Mavic X517/317 rims / Sapim spokes - approx 1,450g costing (approx) £500 Posh cycles (UK)

The above should give you an idea of the £'s spent Vs weight saving. Durability and strength also play a part. The more expensive hubs are lighter, stronger bearings, better sealed bearing, run smoother.

Mavic do X517 rims for XC with V-brakes. X317 for XC with disc.

Very cheap solution would be to buy a set of Maxxiss fliylight tubes 90g each costing £6 each. Conti do a supersonic tubes that weigh in around 95g (ish) - similar cost. Bog standard tubes weight around double this.

Hope that helps.

Farqui

by Farqui

Thanks for the replies, v.useful.

I doubt that I can justify the cost of Tune or Chris King hubs although they do look lovely.

The XT based wheelset looks attractive especially as they cost so little. These are cup and cone hubs (which I currently run) and I had initially thought that sealed bearings would be the way to go, perhaps Hope XC Disc. However, I've had no trouble with a cup/cone set-up so perhaps I should get XT hubs and spend the £80 saved somewhere else, hmmm...

It's interesting to see the weight saving to cost ratio too, staggering.

If peeps have replaced their original wheelsets with pimpy, lightweight sets, then how much weight did they save?

What kinda difference did it make to the ride?

To date I've learnt through my own experiences but would appreciate a little feedback to help me flex my flexible friend in the right direction.

Tippster

by Tippster

There are afordable cheap fixes.

tubes
tyres
SLR saddle
USE Alien carbon post

Also think about the change in the feel of the bike by changing components. I ride a Spec M5 HT and ditched by heavy forks for Pace RC-31 ridgid carbon forks. I find it both gets the weight down and makes me think about the line I take and gets you more involved in the ride.

also shakes out any loose fillings in your teeth!

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

$550 US gets you a set of custom build wheels from speed dream wheels on Chris king hubs. Given the $US that's a fantastic deal. Unbreakable wheels that will last a lifetime. I have four sets (2 x 29er's)

Wheels and tires are the best upgrades. Just make sure you choose them based on your ride conditions. Getting a flyweight tire (1.8/1.9) saves weight but looses control over a larger volume tire.

Tippster

by Tippster

I'm looking to upgrade my current wheelset
XT Disc / X317 / DT rev spokes

I was looking to spend around £300 UK. $550 US.
I'm based in the UK, but would consider a US shop.
What set-up would you recommend from a US shop and which one (URL??)

The best deal I've seen in the UK was £285 UK ($513US) for:
DT Hugi 240 disc / DT Rev spokes / Mavic X317 rims.

I ride XC and weight 175lbs

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

http://www.speeddream.com/mountain.php

will custom build a set for you that kicks butt.

Farqui

by Farqui

Does anyone own any scales?

Peeps blather on about how light one wheelset is compared to another but then noone steps forward to say by how much...

:wink:

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

For my XC racing, i wouldnt go light on spokes on my rear wheelset.
i use DT competition spokes with brass nipple. A strong XC climbers need a strong spokes too and when there is mud, they need to pedal hard. I just hate spokes that can bend easily and crack alloy nipples. But roadies are fine with light spokes on the rear as well as the front, as there is no rocky terrain or mud. Light on the rear give best rotational but how fast can you go on XC? maybe 45km/HR?hehe :lol: :twisted:
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com