2011 Cervelo S2 aero and 13lbs(5900g) dead new pics page:20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

quango2k

by quango2k

if you do decide to de-noise the frame...go the whole hog and get some of these...

http://www.graphicshack.co.uk/product/2 ... Decals_cer

they will do them in any size and colour, try and match the decals on the zipps...so dark grey with a white outline...or even gloss black with the white outline...that would look awesome!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

quango2k wrote:if you do decide to de-noise the frame...go the whole hog and get some of these...

http://www.graphicshack.co.uk/product/2 ... Decals_cer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they will do them in any size and colour, try and match the decals on the zipps...so dark grey with a white outline...or even gloss black with the white outline...that would look awesome!

That is an excellent idea as well. Lucky for me, my little sister's boyfriend works at a graphics shop. He can make me any decal I want. He is making me some black outline stickers for my Trek project too. I doubt I will paint this frame anytime soon. The Trek project is what needs to get done now. I need to get it ready to race crits with. I'd say this bike is pretty much done for this season. I have a RD I am tuning for it, and I'd like to have a 1-peice saddle/post combo made for it. Other than that, it's pretty much done for now. About time to win some more races with it in a few months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Thanks for the compliment. It means a lot coming from you. You have been an inspiration throughout this build. Now on to the good stuff. Have you used a Scapula F? Why do you call it a so called aero fork? I would think one of the biggest advantages in an aero fork would be hiding the front brake, and shielding it from creating turbulence. Other than of course being a thin bladed design. I also like that fork Ridley has on their new aero bike with the integrated brake, and that once Parlee built with the integrated brake. The THM is the only one you can actually buy however. Anyway what is this talk about a Cervelo fork? Any idea if you can buy them separately from a Cervelo dealer? What bike do they come on? The S5 I assume?

While the Scapula F is a good looking aero fork it does have some issues. The noodle and cable housing are very exposed and might negate the aero benefits of the fork hiding the brakes in the legs. There are better ways to do an aero brake. Cervelo created a newer aero forks of their own design instead of using the 3T which is pretty aero.

On my SLC I will be using the new TriRig Omega brake on the front and the EE brake on the back. The TriRig brake has a built in cable hanger is you can not mount one under your stem. Now having the cable housing running down infront of your head tube will be more aero, if you can mount the cable hanger under your stem then you are only running bare cable infront of the head tube.

On the tri build and soon on the SLC I ran the rear brake cable on the left brake to have a more aero and shorter run and the front brake on the right which is a very short run as well. As you can see in my tri bike pics, you can not say any of the cable housings from the front. Only thing showing is the exposed front brake cable.

On the Cervelo fork, they designed and built their own fork. The 3t was aero but the newer FK26 is more aero than that.
Cervelo reading - http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/news-blog/ ... ther/2936/

I have attached some links and pics to show you what can be done to be more aero.

Tririg information.
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3sql1Sq2wA
TriRig Omega - http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2011_12_Omega_1
My current set up on my tri bike but will be done on the SLC as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mr.thi03

by mr.thi03

Bike looks great and I'm sure functions great as well. Congrats!

If you get a chance, would like to get your take on the Zipp bars. I'm consider them and was wondering how they felt as well as how easy is it fish through cables. I'm running di2, so that might be a bit easier?

Anyhow, thanks in advance and congrats.

mr.thi03 :thumbup:

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Yeah nice looking bike Good job. :thumbup:

nismosr

by nismosr

your thread inspired me to update my 09 S2 .. awesome bike.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Thanks everyone, and thanks BMANX for sharing the fork info. Looks like I need to talk to my Cervelo dealer. I need a price on a FK26UL.

As for the Zipp bars. I really like them. Not only do they look amazing, and are lighter than my old K-Wings, they are without a doubt the stiffest bars I've ever used. I like them a lot.

BmanX

by BmanX

Just make sure you get the FK26UL and not the FK26 as I was just told that an FK26 with about 8.5" steere and instert installed is 420g. Aero but a PIG!

I am not sure if you can get the FK26UL on its own but you must be able to buy one because what happens if you had one on your bike and you crashed and broke it. PM me if you find out how much one is as I am sure they are not cheap.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I'm waiting to hear back about the FK26UL from my friend. In the mean time, I am working on getting this old Force RD down around 100g. That and striping the last little bits of paint from the Trekster.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BMANX, what do you think about the new Magura RT8TT calipers? Sram Red Hydraulic levers will be out this fall. Seems like a good project to look forward to next fall. Apparently Cervelo designed the shape of them in the wind tunnel. I think this might be the way to go.

jdp211

by jdp211

ProfessorChaos wrote:BMANX, what do you think about the new Magura RT8TT calipers? Sram Red Hydraulic levers will be out this fall. Seems like a good project to look forward to next fall. Apparently Cervelo designed the shape of them in the wind tunnel. I think this might be the way to go.

I think your only issue with the hydraulic brakes is going to be internal routing for the rear. As I see it, you either have to drill out the cable stops, voiding your warranty, or run the cable outside the frame.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

jdp211 wrote:I think your only issue with the hydraulic brakes is going to be internal routing for the rear. As I see it, you either have to drill out the cable stops, voiding your warranty, or run the cable outside the frame.

Good point. However, gives the option to build another bike, and just buy the frame used off ebay, screw the warranty, drill it out, custom paint it, well no paint really just clear, and make it a crit race only bike.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Wait one minute. What about Di2 bikes? If this is still warrantied, then I would think drilling one hole out for a hose would be no big deal. The rear exit on the frame is removable anyway, so just have to make something new to go there for the hose. Apparently this is Di2 directions for a Cervelo frame, and if this is allowed then hydraulic brakes should be too. http://www.cervelo.com/r/S3_S2_Di2_inst ... _guide.pdf

BmanX

by BmanX

And they have also explained how to drill the TT just behind the stem as well. I will be doing this with my SLC soon so that I can run my cables behind the stem and I am not running Di2 either. Just standard cables. I am sure you can run the Magura's with limited alterations and keep your warranty intact. Mine is not so I can do what I want.

BUT

Yes that is a big but. Why would you want to add all the extra weight of the Magura's when you can get a more aero brake that weighs less? Seems crazy to add weight and add more grams of drag to a beautiful build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

BmanX wrote:And they have also explained how to drill the TT just behind the stem as well. I will be doing this with my SLC soon so that I can run my cables behind the stem and I am not running Di2 either. Just standard cables. I am sure you can run the Magura's with limited alterations and keep your warranty intact. Mine is not so I can do what I want.

BUT

Yes that is a big but. Why would you want to add all the extra weight of the Magura's when you can get a more aero brake that weighs less? Seems crazy to add weight and add more grams of drag to a beautiful build.

Both good points. Also I am reading some of Damon Rinard's answers to questions, and this caught my eye.

Damon Rinard, Cervelo Engineer says:
October 19, 2011
Hi Dalton, Your 2010 Cervelo S3 came with a 3T Funda fork, also a quite a good design. In fact the Funda shape is among the slipperiest of the last generation of aero forks. Upgrading to an FK26 (or SL or UL) would save about one Watt or so at 40 km/h. -Damon

I think that being said, I kind of like the Scapula F idea better again. I think it has to be as aero or better since the brake is gone. I am still very curious to see a Funda, and the FK26UL with the best aero brake made against the Scapula F in the wind tunnel. I doubt it will ever happen, but I would like to see it. I wonder how well the Scapula F rides. The weight dropped from the Scapula is a big gain. It would have to act like a parachute compared to the other forks to seem like a bad idea.