Spooky Skeletor

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

My wonderful girlfriend bought me this frame as an early X-Mas present back in October/November- I've had it built a couple of ways- this is the near complete version- My goal was to have as much US-Made stuff as I could afford- but that kind of went out of the window when I got the Ritchey fork over the Enve- Maybe in it's next iteration. The wheels don't match because I'm fighting a bout of food poisoning, so I haven't laced the front wheel yet.
Thoughts so far- It rides stiffer and smoother, as well as lighter, cheaper and more fun than my Felt AR that I raced last year. I can't believe how awesome this thing is!

Highlights;
54cm Spooky Skeletor frame, Cane Creek 110 headset, Thomson Seatpost/seatpost clamp, Dura-Ace 7403 hubs/Velocity A23 rims, Ritchey WCS Classic 44cm bars.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

That cut in the top of the seat tube would bug me being on the side like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Looks sharp, I especially like that light metallic blue paint job.

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Valbrona wrote:That cut in the top of the seat tube would bug me being on the side like that.

Yeah, why is it there? And how much does your frame weigh?

nspace

by nspace

Aesthetically I don't like the cut on the side but I'd guess that the reason it is that it puts the slot on the axis where the seatpost puts the least amount of stress on the frame (not on the fore-aft axis).

I wish more companies would stop putting the slot on the back, especially on MTB's. Just a doorway for gunk which could easily be avoided if they put the slot on the front of the tube. A bonus is that front placement also takes it out of the highest-stress zone.

veloryan

by veloryan

I've heard nothing but good things about the Spooky's, their new Havoc Staff looks awesome (not to mention they're actually going to make one with a long enough top tube for me, unlike the Skeletor which was about 1.5-2cm too short for me).

Nice ride and would love to see some more detailed pictures of the bike.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

lcoolb wrote:
Valbrona wrote:That cut in the top of the seat tube would bug me being on the side like that.

Yeah, why is it there? And how much does your frame weigh?

The frame weighed 1140g on a postal scale with the hanger for a 54cm frame size.

I'm not sure of the method behind the seat tube relief cut, but I've never noticed it before, and I'm more of a function-over-form kind of guy so I'm guessing it just works better that way.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i dunno how else one would clamp the 27.2 diameter tube to securely grab the seat post. at least that's what makes sense in my mind.

i dont know why the cut is on the side , maybe is the more appropriate question. but anyways. nice spooky!

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Nice bike. Welded by FTW, too! Clamp slot makes sense: sloping tt with lots of post puts more stress on the tube, so moving the slot away from the back removes a point of stress. Side or front is fine.

Wish I needed a new bike...

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

GonaSovereign wrote:Nice bike. Welded by FTW, too! Clamp slot makes sense: sloping tt with lots of post puts more stress on the tube, so moving the slot away from the back removes a point of stress. Side or front is fine.

Wish I needed a new bike...

Nope, I wish this was a FTW frame. This one was an Oregon frame before the factory closed. My next Spooky will be an FTW- I might upgrade my cx bike.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

CrimsonKarter21 wrote:
GonaSovereign wrote:Nice bike. Welded by FTW, ...

Nope, I wish this was a FTW frame. This one was an Oregon frame before the factory closed. My next Spooky will be an FTW- I might upgrade my cx bike.

Well, SAPA built good frames. Nice anno as well. You've done well. Enjoy!

mickey
in the industry

by mickey

We started doing double slide slots after I got turned on to it by talking to some of the weight geeks here I think...
2 slots on the side allow us to have more clamping force distributed over a wider area.
With how thin carbon posts are right now and how the o.d. of them can vary based on how much clear coat they have it seems like a good idea.
It's a pain in the balls to slot it twice and on the sides though.

Seems like most of the road bikes we've been building here in VT are still bigger than the XL size we offer the HavocStaff frames in.
I'm stoked on that though. Some 6'3' people weigh 168 pounds and some weigh 258 pounds!
I'm that skinny guy who runs Spooky Bikes
spookybikes.tumblr.com
facebook.com/spookybikes
twitter.com/spookybikes

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

^ that looks REALLY beefy. :shock:

mickey
in the industry

by mickey

They get lots beefeier than that!