SRAM news brewing...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

To me this is all good news - take the bits you like / can afford, keep using what you have for the rest. How can that be bad?

So I'm thinking for me, I'd like to use the FD (not concerned about the existing shifters not working because of trim, I reckon we can work around that but maybe the pull ratio could be a problem, will wait and see), the cranks but ditch the new rings for my existing TA Hegoa's or maybe Fibre-lyte (so as to get the weight loss but without the unreliability of the existing crop of light weight cranks), and maybe try the new cassette once I need one - I've never had too much trouble with my existing Red cassette being noisy, but would be nice to see how much quieter the new one is.

Sorry OT for a sec: I'm usually a big fan of DJ's posts (read with awe and bow to his scientific knowledge) but don't agree with his comment about Red cassettes for race day only:

Quote: "I agree: a Red-level cassette is race-day, in my view, although Recon also does nicely for that purpose and is lighter and cheaper. But I see a lot of riders tooling around on Red cassettes."

The Red cassette is one of the most durable out there - at 18,000km (rotate 3 chains 3x each for 3k) for $220 I don't see why that's expensive.

Cheers

GJ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rippin

by Rippin

poppiholla wrote:In Germany and the Netherlands Sram REd is cheaper then campa SR.

I think that's the case almost everywhere when you look at real world prices, not MSRP.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

abuck55ru

by abuck55ru

I think it is awesome news that the new quarq calculates power independent of chain ring choice without needing to be recalibrated, wonder if my q rings will be able to fit? Also wondering about the new FD and ovalized chain rings, it will be interesting. Not really sure what I think yet.

djconnel

by djconnel

Gearjunkie wrote:The Red cassette is one of the most durable out there - at 18,000km (rotate 3 chains 3x each for 3k) for $220 I don't see why that's expensive.

I'm too lazy and disorganized to rotate chains, I suppose. I like getting on my bike and just riding it until things go wrong, cleaning and lubing it occasionally. Easier to just use 1050-1070 cassettes.
Last edited by djconnel on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odin99

by odin99

poppiholla wrote:In Germany and the Netherlands Sram REd is cheaper then campa SR.

i thought that was only in russia...

KWalker

by KWalker

durkonion wrote:
KWalker wrote:Velonews said it was better than before, but still not on par with Dura Ace and others. Kinda sad considering that they're putting a lot of hype into YAW. I could give a shit about chain rub noise, I just want it to shift well.

I don't use DA cranks, but I use the brakes. If Shimano came out with 9000 and only made the same updates that Sram did then I'd be saying the same thing. Well, maybe not considering the legacy of DA brakes,

Nope, they say it's the best mechanical group and close to DA Di2.

First: would the front shifting be an improvement, and if so, where does it slot into the current hierarchy of system. Prior to today, my ranking went as follows: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2, Shimano Ultegra Di2, Campagnolo EPS, Shimano Dura-Ace 7900, Campagnolo Record mechanical, Shimano Ultegra mechanical… on and on between Campagnolo and Shimano. Old Red fit somewhere down near the bottom.

Yes, the new Yaw system and chainrings are a marked improvement over the old Red. In fact, and this is the big one, new Red outstrips Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 and undoubtedly provides the best front shifting of any mechanical group. Even more impressive: new Red comes dangerously close to matching Dura-Ace Di2.

I agree this isn't too much of an improvement for all the people who just use the shifters/RD. However, as an entire group it seems like quite the improvement.

Overall I am pretty pleased with what has come out so far. I am excited to see DA 9000 come out as well. Hopefully there is more to it than just adding another cog. I am not buying all new wheels for that. I doubt Shimano will disappoint though.

Direct quote from the article: "It's still not quite on par with Shimano Dura-Ace and its brilliant hollow outer chainring advantage but it's not too far off the mark – and if anything, Red now seems poised to give Campagnolo's mechanical front shifting a run for its money."

As I said, this is in regards to front shifting. Rear shifting and lever action, to me, depends on rider preference and the mechanical prowess of the installer. My personal preference is DA over Red, but I acknowledge that Red's rear shifting is quite good despite how many warranty issues I've seen with broken derailleur springs and broken pulley cages (quite common actually, not sure how).
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

exhibitx

by exhibitx

Permon wrote:Wait, SR expensive? Yes, it is, but still cheaper than RED! As I can see, there is no problem to buy SR group with titanium spindle for 2200$. RED is supposed to be at 2575$ ! That is 375$ more for RED.

You're comparing discounted prices of an existing group to prices of a brand new group which isn't even out yet.

If you're looking for a comparison, current SR is certainly more expensive than current RED.

New red will come down in price just like everything else does. You couldn't buy a SR group when it first came out for 2200$.

Dammit

by Dammit

Utterly pointless thing to point out I know, but- you can get a "3 piece" Sram Red group in the UK for £530.

What I wonder is how much Red 2012 is going to be for that same shifters'n'mechs group when it arrives here.

Permon

by Permon

exhibitx wrote:
Permon wrote:Wait, SR expensive? Yes, it is, but still cheaper than RED! As I can see, there is no problem to buy SR group with titanium spindle for 2200$. RED is supposed to be at 2575$ ! That is 375$ more for RED.

You're comparing discounted prices of an existing group to prices of a brand new group which isn't even out yet.

If you're looking for a comparison, current SR is certainly more expensive than current RED.

New red will come down in price just like everything else does. You couldn't buy a SR group when it first came out for 2200$.

Nobody wants current RED that is why it is for free :-)

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Grasschopper wrote:
djconnel wrote:Interesting comment at end of article suggests 11 speed is in SRAM's future.

I siad it before (maybe even in this thread) SRAM CAN'T GO 11SPD UNTIL SHIMANO DOES. They use Shimano's freehub spline pattern and don't have enough market share to introduce a new standard and have it stick. When they see what Shimano does for 11SPD with regards to the freehub they will follow suit...and my guess is very quickly. All they have to do is change the indexer in the shifter and re-space the cassette as needed. Aftermarket chains already exist so SRAM making a chain won't be the issue it was originally for Campagnolo.

SRAM will follow Shimano to 11 speed within a year of Shimano's release...that is my prediction.

Very true.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

+1 8)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Dammit

by Dammit

Pre-orders now being taken, £2,000 for the full groupset: http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=11433

Sharil

by Sharil

WOW 999 pounds for '11 and 2000 pounds for the new one! WTF!

Getter

by Getter

To me it doesn't seem like that much of an "upgrade" for current Red users. At least for me...I don't see a must have item out of the new group.

I think the only way I'll get the new Red group is if I got a new bike and it came with it.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I want new cassette and front derailleur new Red grouppo. :thumbup:
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com