Wooden RENOVO R1 road bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

nice to read that report!
are these 32spokes at each wheel? how much tension do the spokes have?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Each wheel has 32 spokes. The spoke tension is around 60kg.

thprice

by thprice

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

i truly cannot wait to see this bike finished and photos galore.

great writeup on the wooden rims. :thumbup:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Rob from English Cycles was kind enough to post some pictures of the work on the front fork/stem combo.

The fork features ovalised, butted straight fork legs and socket style dropouts, and a bolted crown ready for a one-piece stem/steerer.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

That looks familiar.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@xnavalav8r: your Di2 bike was actually the reason why I choose to go with an English Cycles fork. I liked you tapered style fork a lot, only it looked a bit too skinny for the Renovo frame.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The frame and fork arrived early last week, but I was unable to take some pictures before now.

Since this is the Weight Weenies forum, first of all the weight of the frame: 2,5 kg :laughat: :frightened: . Luckily the looks are more than enough to compensate for the high weight, as it looks amazing. Nick Wood from Renovo already told me the frame had turned out really nice and I had also seen in on pictures. However, in real life the frame looks so much better!

I hope to build the bike up today and take it for a spin tomorrow. For now, some close up pictures of the frame. Enjoy :D.

By the way, I will probably not be using the English Cycles fork that Rob built for me. For some reason it just doesn't look nice with the frame. Maybe it is the color or maybe I should have gone with a tapered design. For the time being I will be using an Easton EC90 fork. If I like it, I will probably strip the logo's from it.

dcj9

by dcj9

the frames are built by nick wood right? talk about having the correct name for the job :lol:

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Oh. My. Gawd! That is awesome...

Can't wait to see pics of the completed build and a ride report!!!

my inane ramblings via tapatalk

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I almost got the bike built up yesterday. Unfortunately Shimano was kind enough to include a pre-cut cabel set. And since they cut the front derailleur cable nice and short, I was unable to guide it trough the top tube. I won't be able to get a new cable until next week, so that sucks a bit, as I was hoping to ride the bike in club ride today.

Here is a (crappy phone) picture of the bike when it was almost finished. I hope you like it!

Stefano

by Stefano

Amazing!! Looks really good.

Two questions:
1) which pedals did you end up using, I thought you didnt like the 7700 ones?
2) is the renovo on the dt a wood inlay?

Thanks, great job!

bencolem

by bencolem

Lovely, I still think that those wheels are absolutely the b@ll@cks(and the conti's look great on them). First impression is that it needs a silver cockpit and a polished steel fork (to lose the black). Or could you get the fork painted in chrome...?

Brilliantly imaginative build though, an inspiration to us all, thank you.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@Stefano: I plan use the 7700 pedals. I know they do not have a good reputation, but I can always switch them if I don't like how the work. For now I plan on keeping as many parts DA 25th as possible. The 'Renovo' is stickered on, but it does look very nice. I will upload some extra pictures of the finished bike next week.

@bencolem: I am not keen on the cockpit as it is either. I already stripped the stem (Deda Zero 00) of it's logos, but still it is not quite doing the job for me. The reason for this could also be the fork, or of course the seatpost. The idea of polishing the front end did cross my mind, but I think it will make the bike a little bit too bling bling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roeboe

by Roeboe

bencolem wrote:First impression is that it needs a silver cockpit and a polished steel fork (to lose the black).

Brilliantly imaginative build though, an inspiration to us all, thank you.

+1