Magura Louise 2000 hose

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ivan

by Ivan

Hi,

I have a problem, the hose on my Magura Louise (from year 2000) broke because of repeated friction with other cables. On the website however, Magura state that they no longer sell spare parts for this brake. Does anyone know what kind of hydraulic hose would fit ? Brakes are 10 years old but still do their job, I dont want to buy a new one.

Thanks !!
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i'm pretty sure it's the same fittings as used on the Martas. it has a 0* threaded end at the caliper, and an inline fitment with nut/olive/hose reinforcement at the lever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

if same as Marta (google says Loiuse up to 2003 is same), then there are M6 fittings.

Easy enough to get after market hose; both straight end and right angle e.g. shimano olive will fit. I am using both types of fitting; note that the after market hose - jagwire - have slightly longer threaded section so to avoid bottoming out, I made aluminium washers which being soft metal, helps with sealing too..

Ivan

by Ivan

So you say standard Shimano/Magura hose will fit ? For instance I want 90° fitting on my lever and 0° on my caliper, I can simply take:
http://www.starbike.com/php/product_inf ... &pid=12490
you think ?

Thanks !!

02GF74

by 02GF74

As I do not have your model of brake at hand I cannot be 100% sure.

Unscrew the brake hose and see if an M6 bolt will screw in e.g. the bolts to hold calliper to mount or frame/fork are M6.

If yes, then you know the thread size of the fitting and can buy hose to suit.

Ivan

by Ivan

I saw a video on the worldwide net that explained how to install a shimano olive hose, both fittings looked a lot like mine.

I will try to screw in an M6 bolt and if so, I am 100 % sure both Magura and Shimano will fit. Thanks !!

02GF74

by 02GF74

the olive and hose insert are at the brake lever end - the thread on the hollow bolt is not standard M6 as is a much finer thread.

this is why I am using shimano banjo (right angle) fitting instead of the normal straight fitting - early Gary Fisher X-caliber frame which has calliper mounted inside the chain and seat stays - only modern calliper I have found that fits in the gap with my DIY adapter is Martas front calliper. Brake lever is Shimano XT.

Note the position of mounting lugs and the bleed screw - calliper sits upside so needs to be removed and flipped the right way up in ordrer to bleed it.

Farnit

by Farnit

good vintage stuff

Ivan

by Ivan

Sorry, I cannot seem to find the right fittings. I have a goodridge braided hose and Magura M6 0° fittings for the caliper but I cannot find 90° fittings for the brake lever. Can someone point me to it ?

Thanks !

02GF74

by 02GF74

oops I totally missed the part where you fact you need 90 degree at lever end. :oops:

do you know what the bolt fitting is? if it is M6 then the shimano hose, photo of which I posted oughta fit - you would fit it opposite way round to what I did (I have 0 deg at lever and 90 banjo at calliper).

you can buy goodridge banjo fittings:

Ivan

by Ivan

Fitting at brake lever is not M6, tried that, it is a finer thread. I think it is olive. I am thinking there is no 90° fitting for olive, that is to say, I don't find it on the net.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com