Cadd 10 1 Custom Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

theslunk

by theslunk

New here. Just wanted to give some love back after all the research I did on this great site. Here is my new Caad 10 Dura Ace that I put together. I am a solid dude (6-2 210) so I needed something a bit sturdy. That being said...this thing barely tips the scales at 14.6 without pedals and sensors. Its 15.1 in the pics. After I cut the steerer tube down and get the Hollowgram arms in, it will probably see its final form. Unless I decide to drop another pound and throw some Zipp 202's on it. :o Although, I like the way it looks right now.

I went for a mix of solid, light, reliable performance and aesthetics. Maybe I'm partial...but I think I did pretty ok. Build list after pics.

Cannondale CAAD10 1 Annodized Frame/Fork
Dura Ace 7900 Shifters/Levers
Dura Ace 7900 Front Derailleur
Dura Ace 7900 Rear Derailleur
KCNC CB1 Red Brakes
FSA SLK-Light Compact BB30
Cannondale Si 50/34 Chainrings
Dura Ace 7900 SPD-SL Pedals
Ultegra 6700 Cassette
Ultegra 6700 Chain
3T Rotundo Pro Handlebar
3T ARX Team Stealth Stem
Hudz Dura Ace 7900 Hoods
Fizik Microtex Tape
Fizik Arione CX Braided Carbon Saddle

Fizik Cyrano Carbon Seatpost
American Classic Aero 3 Alphatype White Wheelset
Vittoria Open Corsa EX White Tires
Vittoria Latex Tubes

quattrings

by quattrings

These rims don't do it for me. Looks like a hipster fixie :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theslunk

by theslunk

Good thing I didn't build it for you.

...And good thing its not a FIXED GEAR.

:beerchug:

bencolem

by bencolem

quattrings wrote:These rims don't do it for me. Looks like a hipster fixie :D

That was my first though - a road bike dressed to look like a fixie :lol:
Last edited by bencolem on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffalo

by Buffalo

What size? And did you weigh the frame?

theslunk

by theslunk

Buffalo wrote:What size? And did you weigh the frame?

Its a 56cm. Bike shop weighed it in at 1152...2 grams over claimed weight for the anodized frame.

PS - Thanks for seeing this bike for the sum of its parts and not just the look.

fa63

by fa63

You posted pictures of your bike on a public forum (and one where the quality of bikes are higher than average), and were expecting to receive only positive opinions?

With that said, I think the bike looks OK and the weight is pretty good as well, but I am not too crazy about the wheels and all the red bits on there.

theslunk

by theslunk

bencolem wrote:
quattrings wrote:These rims don't do it for me. Looks like a hipster fixie :D

That was my first though - a road bike dressed to look like a fixie :noidea:

As much as I hate to even respond to these comments on a forum about bike building (not bike style or "dressing", if you will)...I must. I am not the resident expert on fixed gears and hipster style. Apparently there are a few others on here who own them and know far more about these subjects than me. If, in the midst of me building a bike that would satisfy ME and my cycling enjoyment, my machine ended up looking like something other cyclists would frown upon....good.

They can yell "hipster" at me while I slice by them on my buttery smooth and terribly fast white American Classic wheelset.

veloryan

by veloryan

You mentioned that you're 6'2" tall. You also mentioned that the frame is a 56cm.

That seems like at least one size, if not two, sizes too small (unless you have a crazy short torso).

I'll keep my opinions about the aesthetics to myself.

5shot

by 5shot

theslunk,

Awesome build. I cannot wait to see it with Cannondale cranks. American Classic makes excellent wheels and your wheelset is no exception. Anyone who sees that as a hipster fixie is a fool.

Also, it is an unfortunate fact of this forum that people are quick to criticize everyone else's bikes. People often don't appreciate the variety of bikes that naturally occur when lots of people from different places, with different backgrounds and certainly different tastes, all show off bikes they build for themselves. I figure that all the haters are just natural born assholes or are hiding their jealously of your bike with feigned dislike.

Don't let the bastards get you down!

theslunk

by theslunk

veloryan wrote:You mentioned that you're 6'2" tall. You also mentioned that the frame is a 56cm.

That seems like at least one size, if not two, sizes too small (unless you have a crazy short torso).

I'll keep my opinions about the aesthetics to myself.

Thank you. I assure it rides like a dream regardless of its repulsive appearance. :lol:

After much bickering with my bike shop about fit. I rode a 56 they had in the shop. And minus a longer stem it felt really good. I do have a somewhat un-proportionate body. We put a longer stem on the bike and keep the saddle back a tad. The real thing for me is having the drops hit me in the hands just right. With the traditional bend and the shorter top tube...it just feels right to me. Very comfortable. Might not go along with the fitting handbook. But again...it works for my needs.

veloryan

by veloryan

As long as YOU are comfortable it's all good. Now go ride the wheels off it!
theslunk wrote:Thank you. I assure it rides like a dream regardless of its repulsive appearance. :lol:

After much bickering with my bike shop about fit. I rode a 56 they had in the shop. And minus a longer stem it felt really good. I do have a somewhat un-proportionate body. We put a longer stem on the bike and keep the saddle back a tad. The real thing for me is having the drops hit me in the hands just right. With the traditional bend and the shorter top tube...it just feels right to me. Very comfortable. Might not go along with the fitting handbook. But again...it works for my needs.

theslunk

by theslunk

5shot wrote:theslunk,

Awesome build. I cannot wait to see it with Cannondale cranks. American Classic makes excellent wheels and your wheelset is no exception. Anyone who sees that as a hipster fixie is a fool.

Also, it is an unfortunate fact of this forum that people are quick to criticize everyone else's bikes. People often don't appreciate the variety of bikes that naturally occur when lots of people from different places, with different backgrounds and certainly different tastes, all show off bikes they build for themselves. I figure that all the haters are just natural born assholes or are hiding their jealously of your bike with feigned dislike.

Don't let the bastards get you down!

A man after my own heart. Happy cycling! :beerchug:

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Will the drops be in the right spot when you cut the steerer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theslunk

by theslunk

:thumbup:
Buffalo wrote:Will the drops be in the right spot when you cut the steerer?

Only taking off 5mm. Basing it of the fit of my old 78 Schwinn Voyager 11. No bike has ever fit me like that. This one will be really close after the stem drops a few mm.

Its an anatomy thing. Riding in a typical setup kills my lower back for some reason. After years of listening to the bike shop and trying to change my form....I am just doing what feels good for me. I want to enjoy myself. That's why I do it.