Gum's CRUMPTON UL 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Gum, 19 pages on your other build and all we've got is a frame.

7 pages so far on this and all we've got is a frame.

Should we expect another 12 pages and 12 months before we see something for this, too?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

timintense

by timintense

i think we will see Berk's next frame first :P
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

gumgardner

by gumgardner

prendrefeu wrote:Gum, 19 pages on your other build and all we've got is a frame.

7 pages so far on this and all we've got is a frame.

Should we expect another 12 pages and 12 months before we see something for this, too?

When I started the Ruegamer thread I really thought I'd have the bike finished up in a reasonable amount of time, but then it was delay after delay with parts (mostly AX). I was told by Nils that there would be a bb30 Morpheus. I got on the wait list because it was a "month away". Well I still don't think they released a bb30. Anyways you can read that thread to see what went on.

With the Crumpton, I mentioned that I do not have it yet and I started the thread when Nick sent the first pics. I thought some members here might be interested in reading and seeing this new carbon construction. I may not have it until after NABHS (if it is shown), which I mentioned. If Nick chooses to not show it, I'll have it in February. If it helps Nick out, I'll wait an additional month or so, so he can show the bike world his new creation. . He's been a pleasure to work with.

If we'd eliminate all the bickering and all the questions about "how long will it take to get it because your Ruegamer took forever", we'd be down to about 2 pages. Just saying :wink:

michel2

by michel2

tigoose wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:
mattiTWOROADS wrote:SO HELP ME IF THIS THREAD GOES TO EIGHTEEN PAGES BEFORE MORE PICTURES OF THIS BUILD ARE MADE PUBLIC I AM GOING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND ... ... AND ... ... MAKE YOU RIDE A DOGMA!

+1

Also, that frame weight:

this i find is the funniest post i've seen :thumbup:

+1

CharlesM

by CharlesM

timintense wrote:i think we will see Berk's next frame first :P

Well,

I just got back from Austin so I can't be "we" :twisted:

konky

by konky

gumgardner wrote:Not that I want him too and I probably shouldn't be saying this :mrgreen: but Nick could be charging a lot more for this frame than he is, considering what the Cervelo California, cannondale and those other weenie frames are going for. This is a handmade masterpiece by the best in the business. I'm not going to go into prices, but it's not as much as you think or could be. I'm just very grateful he agreed to build me one.

On a side note, I got the Ruegamer back tonight, so I'll take some pics tomorrow after work. Stay tuned :wink:

Gum

This Crumpton frame is probably the lightest frame out there made by a mainstream builder. And by a very well known and trusted builder at that. Your frame is lighter and cheaper than a California and even a not too expensive Evo. Do you mind me asking why Nick Crumpton had to be pursuaded to build the frame i.e why he doesn't like builing them.

There must be a really good reason why Crumpton doesn't routinely build the lightest frame available in the world at a comparatively low cost, as if he could he would surely be the busiest and richest framebuilder in the world.

I guess the frame material must be just damn hard to work but then you'd think Nick would charge at least California price. There would certainly be plenty of buyers out there.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

PezTech wrote:
timintense wrote:i think we will see Berk's next frame first :P

Well,

I just got back from Austin so I can't be "we" :twisted:

Pez,
You saw it?! How does it look? :wink:

As for Nick, you'd have to ask him. Maybe once he sees the response to this frame, he'll start making more. I just know he doesn't want too many out in the wild. This frame carries the same warranty as his beefier frames. Maybe he just doesn't want that headache. If you want one, contact him. See what he says. :beerchug:

konky

by konky

I'm not in the market for another frame right now.

I have just finished building up my Storck Fascenario 0.6. I've got it down to sub 5kg (with 470 grames of rubber) but only just. It is a really beefy looking frame and Di2 but despite working pretty hard on the weight is light years away from your proposed 8lb Crumpton.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Your storck is a sweet bike. Just think, when it's time for you to build a new one, Nick may be building significantly lower weight frames.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Steerer is 1 1/8, right? That could account for some of the weight saving compared to other bikes with tapered forks

gumgardner

by gumgardner

The weight savings stems from the new carbon tubing.

KWalker

by KWalker

People are being a bit pedantic if they're arguing over whether a sub 9 lb build is a truly WW build. That's in the 1% of all builds on this forum.

If/when I ever get the coin, a Crumpton custom frame is what I'd go towards first. I've had limited correspondence with Nick, but I like what he's said about his construction methods, material choice, and frame geo.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

PezTech wrote:But we can't call it über unless gum does something stupid like not getting a uv coat on the bike....
Hah, wouldn't be stupid. Just don't ride the bike when the sun's out. Yeah, I know, some UV makes it through the clouds - o.k., then just make sure you're riding in the shade of buildings, hills, etc. Then it would be perfectly rideable.

Or, just make it a one-time use bike. Ride it in the sun (for that big hill climb time trial), then just get a new frame. Actually, I bet you could get quite a few sunny rides in before you'd need to replace it. And an even greater number of cloudy rides, since clouds do reduce UV.

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

there is no real problem by riding the bike without paint in the sun.

unless you use kevlar at the outside at the frame the uv problem is realy small and there are a lot of bike´s and parts which do not have any painting (my own one for example) and this works just fine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

But some of these may have UV protectants, even if not painted. Not to mention not being über-düber thin-walled.